Subscribe
  1. Apr 3, 2005, 1:22 PM - Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #1

Since one of the shades I got was too dark in the end.

I can't afford an airbrush to custom mix, so am having to make do with what's available locally - That being Tamiya Color spraycans...

Eyeballing it, I was planning to use TS-5 Olive Drab for the upper cheeks, and TS-61 for the rest of the "face". Testing it though, as I said, it looks way too dark.

Anyone else used these cans, recommend something closer?
    ( I figured that TS-33 Dull Red would do for the area around the visor... )

2. Apr 3, 2005, 1:29 PM - Re: Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #2

mmmm.....mustard.....now all ya need is sum corn dogs.....
    Keep the pictures comming...lookin good.....8)
    Apr 3, 2005, 1:37 PM - Re: Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #3

I used a humbrol spray, light olive i think it was. I found it to be pretty good

dan
    Apr 3, 2005, 1:53 PM - Re: Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #4

I use a walmart brand spraypaint called MOSS GARDEN for the dome and lower cheeks on my ESB helmets. For the upper cheeks I just use FLAT BLACK and then mist it lightly with the MOSS GARDEN. Gives it a kind of charcoal green look. For the red I just use Krylon Satin Burgundy. I think it looks pretty close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cnv0014.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	1869  
    Apr 3, 2005, 1:56 PM - Re: Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #5

i cant help but feel a little awkward seein myself puttin mustard on my helmet... but the results are supposed to eb great, arent you gonna rip if to much green or red when srcatching the mustard off??

and i suppose you put on the blue-ish and yellow-ish weathering first, after that, work out the silver spots with a brush and some silve rpaint?
  6. Apr 3, 2005, 3:52 PM - Re: Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #6

Not got Walmart over in the UK ( Just Asda, and it's not quite the same ).

So, Tamiya-users...
    Would this be about right?

Apr 4, 2005, 7:43 AM - Re: Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #7

I used Tamiya's mica red (spray cans) and it worked pretty well using 2 coats. It might need to be a bit darker but that should happen anyway when you add the battle damage/ dirt, grime.
  8. Apr 4, 2005, 9:10 AM - Re: Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #8

Cheers.
    It's really the lightest green that I'm after confirmation on...
    Apr 4, 2005, 11:27 AM - Re: Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #9

the colours i ordered were british green, dark green and mica red (spray cans) but I've only done the visor bit at the moment. which version are you doing, ESB or ROTJ ? I'll try and post some pics of my helmet if i get a chance
  10. Apr 4, 2005, 4:33 PM - Re: Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #10

ESB, and I checked - It is only the Tamiya paints that my local store stock ( Not that I'd be happy mixing and matching anyway - I wanna stick with one brand to ensure paint compatibility. )

Thanks!
  11. Apr 4, 2005, 5:25 PM - Re: Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #11

R boba fett wrote " cant help but feel a little awkward seein myself puttin mustard on my helmet... but the results are supposed to eb great, arent you gonna rip if to much green or red when srcatching the mustard off??"

Actually I find using a little hot water and a old tooth brush will take off the mustard fairly quickly with out damaging the other paint layers. 8)
    Apr 4, 2005, 6:09 PM - Re: Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #12

You can get a single action badger pretty cheaply. Go to hoby Lobby or maybe even WalMart. It's in the hobby/Car kit area most likely. under $50 if I recall.

Geo
  13. Apr 4, 2005, 6:14 PM - Re: Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #13

I'm in the UK dude... And have a next-to-0 budget right now.
    Cheers tho.
    Apr 5, 2005, 6:35 AM - Re: Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #14

Quote Geo said:
    You can get a single action badger pretty cheaply. Go to hoby Lobby or maybe even WalMart. It's in the hobby/Car kit area most likely. under $50 if I recall.

Geo
    First time i read that i thought.. "badger? what does he need a rodent for?"
  15. Apr 14, 2005, 7:00 AM - Re: Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #15

Right.
    I ended up going for Humbrol D5511 Matt Dark Green 30 for the dome, and similarly coloured sections.
    I'll still be using Tamiya TS-61 Nato Green for the back of the head, and Tamiya TS-33 Dull Red for the red sections.
    For the cheeks, I've had to go for a pot of Tamiya XF-50 Field Blue, and will have to apply it by hand with a brush.

OK, it's not gonna be 100% accurate, but I think it'll turn out pretty good-looking in the end. Overall, the colours I'm using seem to be slightly darker than the real deal, but IMHO that's not such a bad thing.
    I can always try to pick up the EXACT colours for when I get my bobamaker bucket

( Click for big )
  16. Apr 14, 2005, 7:13 AM - Re: Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #16

lookin good!
  17. Apr 18, 2005, 6:54 PM - Re: Mustard Mask stage one complete. Need to buy more paint... #17

Cheers

Hmmm...
    I've now done 2 coats of darker green on the back of the head, and the first coat ( Had to use a brush... ) of blue on the cheeks.

It looks OK in person - There's much less of a difference between the 2 greens than I'd hoped. I guess we'll have to see how it turns out in the end :|
    Might look better to me once the red trim's done.

^Click For Big