Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mustard?

From
    Amity

Mustard?

ok. just like the title says. I saw in an early thread that some people were using mustard to do somthing with painting. My question is whats the deal with the mustard? what does it do and how does it work? I'm very interested in this.

Re: Mustard?

Well, when you consider that herbs and plants were orginal dyes and paints, it makes sense that it can be used for painting. How the people in particular are using it here is beyond me.

I've worked with indigo before painting it on silk, and then letting it set with letter and then washing it out. It's different than working with it on plastic/rubber or styrine tho.

From
    Fort Wayne, Indiana

Most folks use the "Mustard" as a detail mask! When painting an ROTJ and or an EBS for example. There are so many dents and scrapes that one may want to mask off those areas so that the GREEN paint does not stick there! Thus creating the illusion of Battle scars by removing the mustard once your GREEN paint is dry to reveal the Silver Base coat!

You can also substitute: Rubber cement, Liquid Masks,tape, and etc!

shunned/BH-8899

From
    Chicago

The mustard acts like a mask, it's applied over the first layer of silver paint. After the mustard is applied, the paint is sprayed on... the key word is sprayed. Once the paint is dried, the mustard is wiped off, revieling the silver underneath. There is liquid mask, but it tends to be transparent, and doesn't give you a good reference. As for the mustard, I guess since it goes on so thick, it helps to build up the raw edge of the paint before you wipe it off, leaving a more chipped appearance.

works great! I did this on my jet pack for the weathering.

From
    Orlando, FL

I let my mustard dry completley before painting. This allows me to brush on paints rather than spray. Also wipeing isn't entirely accurate as to how to remove it, more like scratching.

Here are links to pics of the process to give you visual learners a better idea.
    http://www.fl501st.com/photo/albums/...ends%20024.jpg

http://www.fl501st.com/photo/albums/...ends%20066.jpg

http://www.fl501st.com/photo/albums/...ends%20132.jpg

From
    Amity

WOW thats pretty cool. so It just dry's and you just take it off. thats interesting. Ill have to try it when I redo my armor this week.

From
    Orlando, FL

Yea apply mustard, let dry, paint over, let paint dry, do any topical weathering you want, then scratch off mustard. BAM done. You can seal it with a clear coat once you scratch off everything if you would like.

From
    Kamino (also known as Seattle)

yeah I'm backing Predatormv on this one. I think he was the first one I heard about it from. And I just used it, and it did work good!

That's cool, but it strangely makes me crave a nicely grilled hotdog.

From
    Orlando, FL

The smell from the jet pack makes me crave hot dogs too. Its weird. Just remember once you paint the paint, when you are scratching off the mustard, don't eat that. It has paint attached to it and that from what I understand isn't healthy.

Awww..shucks Predatormv, why not? Oh..yeah...that pesky problems with not being able to digest paint! *sighs*

From
    Chicago

Never used the technique, I didn't realize that you let it dry.....

I don't let it dry at all. I put it in place nice and thick with a toothpick or piece of sintra and then spray paint immediately. Once the paint is even close to dry (go too long and it's a pain to get off) I run it under warm water and rub the mustard "bubbles" until they come apart and the warm water does the rest. Just be careful not to get any fingerprints in the non-mustard surfaces.

As Jodo Kast said, I too don't let the mustard dry. I found that using an airbrush on wet mustart moves it around a little as you'r spraying and creates a nice effect.

It is also easier to remove wet mustard then dry stuff.

From
    Corpus Christi, TEXAS

Ive been useing the Rubber cement thing, still trying to prefect that. But ill have to give this stuff a try.

From
    Northern Maine

Kinda curious about this mustard technique. How do you "scrape it off"? I have some dental tools, would that work? I gotta admit, it all sounds pretty durn cool. I'm seriously thinking of attempting this on my next helmet. It would save ALOT of time hand painting everything.

From
    Orlando, FL

I used my finger nail. Anything harder and it might scratch into your silver layer.

From
    Lake Mary, Fl

Now..how does one go about applying the mustard? It looks like you're just...spraying it on in a random kinda way...but...I may be mistaken..

Either way, it looks quite nice, and really seems to give that 'weathered' effect after it's finished. I'll definitely be trying this method out when I get to my armour.

From
    PA

I looked at MotM pictures of the helmet and used them as a reference for where the weathering spots go. Then I drew them on the silver layer with a pencil. I applied the mustard to the area that I drew on with a small paint brush.

From
    Niagara Falls, Ontario

Well im convinced im going to give the mustard a try...

Mustard is delicious! One day, hot dogs will be used as currency. Nothing like a hot dog slathered in mustard, chased with a tall, cool Budweiser. If you were starving to death, and you were made of hot dogs, would you eat yourself?...a simple question - Harry Carey

From
    Northern Maine

I just KNOW the wife is going to look at me funny, buying a couple of bottles of mustard. Any preference here? Does one brand work better than another? heheheheh
    Pardon me....Do you have any grey poupon? LMAO!!!

From
    Niagara Falls, Ontario

I just gave it a try today and i am very impressed with the results, as for preference? i bought the cheapest bottle i could (83 cents)

From
    PA

Well I started off with the mustard...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/iycis7...b4.jpg&.src=ph

And today I finally scraped it all off...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/iycis7...1e.jpg&.src=ph

Still needs more dirtying up but I think it worked out pretty well.