Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MSH2 and MS3 Comparison

MSH2 and MS3 Comparison

Went to Darthmiller's tonight and took some comparison shots of my MSH2 and his new MS3.

Sorry for the Bad Pics,,,,but these where the best I could clean up....
    Pretty interesting to see the differences .....

Enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s5300041a-jpg   s5300042a-jpg   s53000391-jpg  

s5300043a-jpg  

From
    Ft. Worth, TX

Re: MSH2 and MS3 Comparison

here are a few more shots....I must say these were awesome to put side by side.

I want to go on the record and say both are INCREDIBLE and I dont like one more than the other. I love them both. In fact I am going to break into Spideys house and take his FETTPRIDE so I can have both for myself!! LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2528-jpg   img_2529-jpg   img_2530-jpg  

img_2531-jpg  

MUCH BETTER DM!!

I just think it's nice to see the TWO Best HELMETS (in my mind):thumbup next to eachother....

Double post!!

WOW!
    Thanks for posting this guys. I had no idea!

From
    Fort Worth, TX

And nobody called me? You guys suck!

Too bad you didn't have a standard DP, to see a difference in size from bottom to top!

"Trouble Maker's"

That's what you guys are

Seriously tho, nice shots !

FP

From
    Ft. Worth, TX

sorry buddy....kinda last minute thing

batninja said:
    And nobody called me? You guys suck!

Too bad you didn't have a standard DP, to see a difference in size from bottom to top!

From
    Ft. Worth, TX

nice shot of some nice buckets...sent you a PM

fettpride said:
    "Trouble Maker's"

That's what you guys are

FP

From
    Utah

Man, I could stare at those all day!

Truly a thing of beauty.

From
    New Orleans

Can someone PM me some info on where to get a MS3 helmet. Thanks

Amazing pics... I guess this is what all the Fett lovers were waiting for... some siz<e comparisions :P.

Although both are amazings, I have note a huge SIZE difference between both helmets... It&#180;s more evident in the front view... This has open a great doubt in my mind..

WHICH ONE IS CLOSER TO THE ORIGINAL ONE ???

I mean, It&#180;s ovbious that are great helmets, but, which one, in terms of accuracy and size, is most accurate ???

After seeing the pics, it cannot be both !!! the size difference is very noticiable...

Any expert comment on this would be helpfull !!!

Thanks for the pics, and for the comments.

Benkenove said:
    Amazing pics... I guess this is what all the Fett lovers were waiting for... some siz<e comparisions :P.

Although both are amazings, I have note a huge SIZE difference between both helmets... It&#180;s more evident in the front view... This has open a great doubt in my mind..

WHICH ONE IS CLOSER TO THE ORIGINAL ONE ???

I mean, It&#180;s ovbious that are great helmets, but, which one, in terms of accuracy and size, is most accurate ???

After seeing the pics, it cannot be both !!! the size difference is very noticiable...

Any expert comment on this would be helpfull !!!

Thanks for the pics, and for the comments.

Simple answer ... and from one of the maker's no less, so it can't be debated

As far as accuracy goes, any helmet that has a "Mystery Helmet" origin, is actually closer in size to the original. That is of course, unless it is a "recast", of a "recast", of a "recast". In which case, the smaller it gets in the long run

In this case, Marrow_Sun's MS3 would be closer in size to the real Fett Helmet. Although, I cannot speak for how much modification it has undergone whilst in his care, only he could answer that. But that's it in a nutshell.

The MSH2 is larger. As is the original MSH. These are "Fan Sculpts" or "Interpretations", with no actual lineage to a real helmet with the exception of laser measurements taken from an exhibit some years ago. And although "laser measurements" may sound impressive, it is not as much so as it may seem. The MSH series was developed in a time when the original Fett Helmet was thought to be a "Little" larger than than what it actually turned out to be. The MSH2 appears larger in some respects, but is comparable in other respects. In any case, it would be up to the perspective fettster. Some of us have larger heads than others

It should be noted though, that although the "Mystery" based helmets have more of a lineage in size, one has to take into consideration that they are still "Smaller" than the original, marginally, depending on how many generations of casting it's been through. So, it could be argued that both the "Mystery Based" and the MSH series are close to the original in size, from two very different perspectives

Confused yet?

Ok. I promised simple. So here it is ...

Rogue Studios, a member here who obtained a first generation casting of a real studio Fett Helmet, has compared a "Mystery Based" helmet to his casting, and they are VERY similar in size. However, as he has said himself, they have some not so “Subtle” differences between them. The “Mystery Based” helmets have a story behind them. The short of it is, it was casting from a a real fett helmet, and then heavily modified/altered by Don Post Studios in pre-production. These modifications were made of course, before a few copies snuck out the back door Hence the "Birth" of the "Mystery Helmet". Again, this is the abridged version. For the "Full Story", refer to the "Sticky" thread about it. Oh wait, there isn't one ... but there should be (Helooo Mods)

So in closing, there really is no simple answer, but I hope it helps none the less
    Last edited by fettpride; Mar 28, 2006 at 2:41 AM.

Yes, more than helpfulll...

I really really appreciate your answer.. and your help here It&#180;s sooo nice when I read so amazing and full of info like this one, so I really thank you for that. !!!

BTW.... email sent. (got a question for you).

From
    Amity

kewl shots. we got a pic at the MOS in boston with 2 MSH2's one MSH1 & a MS3 next to eachother & the size variation is insane

From
    Ft. Worth, TX

incredible input..thanks FP!!!!

fettpride said:

As far as accuracy goes, any helmet that has a "Mystery Helmet" origin, is actually closer in size to the original. That is of course, unless it is a "recast", of a "recast", of a "recast". In which case, the smaller it gets in the long run

In this case, Marrow_Sun's MS3 would be closer in size to the real Fett Helmet. Although, I cannot speak for how much modification it has undergone whilst in his care, only he could answer that. But that's it in a nutshell.

The MSH2 is larger. As is the original MSH. These are "Fan Sculpts" or "Interpretations", with no actual lineage to a real helmet with the exception of laser measurements taken from an exhibit some years ago. And although "laser measurements" may sound impressive, it is not as much so as it may seem. The MSH series was developed in a time when the original Fett Helmet was thought to be a "Little" larger than than what it actually turned out to be. The MSH2 appears larger in some respects, but is comparable in other respects. In any case, it would be up to the perspective fettster. Some of us have larger heads than others

It should be noted though, that although the "Mystery" based helmets have more of a lineage in size, one has to take into consideration that they are still "Smaller" than the original, marginally, depending on how many generations of casting it's been through. So, it could be argued that both the "Mystery Based" and the MSH series are close to the original in size, from two very different perspectives

Confused yet?

Rogue Studios, a member here who obtained a first generation casting of a real studio Fett Helmet, has compared a "Mystery Based" helmet to his casting, and they are VERY similar in size. However, as he has said himself, they have some not so “Subtle” differences between them. The “Mystery Based” helmets have a story behind them. The short of it is, it was casting from a a real fett helmet, and then heavily modified/altered by Don Post Studios in pre-production. These modifications were made of course, before a few copies snuck out the back door Hence the "Birth" of the "Mystery Helmet". Again, this is the abridged version. For the "Full Story", refer to the "Sticky" thread about it. Oh wait, there isn't one ... but there should be (Helooo Mods)

So in closing, there really is no simple answer, but I hope it helps none the less

fettpride said:
    "Trouble Maker's"

That's what you guys are

FP
    ...learned it by watching you... .

Again we just wanted to "FINALLY" put the two best buckets next to eachother......

The first thing you notice of course is the size,.... but for me it was the amount of detail and "LESS CLEAN-UP" that is needed for BOTH of these buckets.
    As someone who have painted both types of helmets...it's nice to see that the clean up stage for these helmets is next to none.

JORDY (MARROW) you did a great Job, and the assembly is amazing!!:thumbup

And FP....well I think I've started enough threads in support of your work...throw me a bone or something.

I hope we can get more pics of some of the finer details on both helmets a little later.

Thanks,

Alex.
    Last edited by Spideyfett; Jul 7, 2006 at 6:37 PM.

From
    Detention Block AA23

Someone PM me about how to get an MS3 and if I have to give my 1st born to get it...

From
    Roanoke, TX

Thanks FP for that great information, I learn something new here every day!

Thanks also to DM and SP for posting those pics and starting this thread. What a dedicated group!!!

From
    Muskegon, Michigan

fettpride said:
    Thank you for today's Fett helmet history lesson!

wow . .that msh2 is huge, just look at the flare on that baby.

In my opinion, the MSH2 is the better looking helmet (barely mind you), just because of the size and the awesome flare. I also love how the lower cheeks have a tighter and longer curve.

I just wish it was possible to get my hands on one

Having said that, I love everything about my MS1 and the MS3 looks even better.

I think its important to note though that a killer paint job goes along way to completing the look of a helmet, no matter what its shape and size.

Great pics guys

it's great seeing them both unpainted... it really takes the focus off of the paint job and puts it on the helmet itself.

i'm about to mail my msh2 off to its new home, but at the moment i've got both on my shelf, and they are both very nice things to have

From
    Las Vegas, NV

Well said!

fettpride said:

Confused yet?

From
    Fort Worth, TX

fettpride said:
    For the "Full Story", refer to the "Sticky" thread about it. Oh wait, there isn't one ... but there should be (Helooo Mods)
    I agree! There should be a Sticky so that all who question the Mystery Helmet's lineage could refer to one post, instead of having to search multiple threads for 'opinions' of where we think it came from.

It's almost a tale of folklore at this point.

"Well, young whipper-snapper, when I was a young-un, 'bout yer age, we had us this old workshop, runned by a feller name of Don Post. Postie, we used to call him. He hated that name..."

From
    Roanoke, TX

Deffinitly good info to have stickeyed. I didnt know the tale till Batninja told me a month or so ago.