Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Citizen_Snips's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    266
    Apr 11, 2007, 12:12 PM - Is this an MS helmet? #1

    Hey Hey,

    I picked this up about a week ago from a fellow member. I have no complaints about the helmet, I actually really like it. I just want to know if it was worth the price I paid. Just so you guys know the seller said MS did not paint this helmet himself. Below you'll find some pictures, Let me know what you guys think.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS fett.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	16970

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS fett 1.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	16971

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS fett 2.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	16972

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS fett 3.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	16973

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS fett 4.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	16974
  2. Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,094
    Apr 11, 2007, 12:17 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #2

    looks like a sgt fang bucket to me, but the range finder ear cap looks like a rubies or a don post cap.
  3. formerly slave1117a vaders right hand's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    462
    Apr 11, 2007, 12:26 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #3

    whatever helmet it is its a top notch paint job,,although the arrows do look a little sgtfang, but its hard to tell ..what are the dimensions,, ie inside width (side to side and front to back ))
  4. CSMacLaren's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    207
    Apr 11, 2007, 12:31 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #4

    Your camera's a bit too close to the helmet, so there's some perspective distortion that's throwing off the proportions.

    As a standard, can you stand back about 6 feet and zoom in and rephotograph it?
  5. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,738
    Apr 11, 2007, 12:38 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #5

    Earcap looks like a Sgt. Fang, and the arrows too. A look inside the helmet could help reveal the maker too.


  6. Citizen_Snips's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    266
    Apr 11, 2007, 1:01 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #6

    Ok guys thanks for all the help so far. Below you'll find a couple of shots taken from a distance, you'll also find some measurements below as well.

    Side to Side - 9 and a half inches
    front to back - 10 and a half inches

    Hope this helps
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ms fett 6.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	16985

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ms fett 8.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	16986

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ms fett 7.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	16987
  7. formerly slave1117a vaders right hand's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    462
    Apr 11, 2007, 1:16 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #7

    well a fang is only about 9 1/2 front to back and 9 1/2 side to side , and the interior looks smoother than a fang ,so it could be a ms,, i have never laid hands on one ,maybe someone out there has and could help out more .........anyway not knowing what you paid for it or if it is in fact a ms to me in my opoinion its a $450 - 500 helmet (( but thats just my opinion i could be wrong ))
  8. NikNak_aka's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    545
    Apr 11, 2007, 3:11 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #8

    I'd venture to say its a sgt fang helmet. As it looks resin and does not have a layer of fiber glass on the inside. Plus it has the classic sgt fang ear cap and not the 2 peice that MS has been offering. Still though I suppose it could be a MS1 as those are very similar to sgt.fang buckets in most respects.
    Last edited by NikNak_aka; Apr 11, 2007 at 3:24 PM.
  9. Gilmortar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,747
    Apr 11, 2007, 3:15 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #9

    i concur with niknak. very well could be a fang/MS recast.
  10. stormtrooperguy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,039
    Apr 11, 2007, 3:17 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #10

    my MS3 helmet is fiberglass on the inside, and a plasticy/resiny sort of outer layer, but i *think* that might have been new to the MS3. the older ones may be all fiberglass, but i could very well be wrong there.

    mine is also signed and numbered on the inside, but i don't know if that's a new to the ms3 thing as well.
  11. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,738
    Apr 11, 2007, 3:18 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #11

    The curved cheeks, the arrows, the earcap, the inside looking like resin, and the distance from front to back, I'd say it's likely a Sgt. Fang. It looks more like my Fang than my MS.


  12. NikNak_aka's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    545
    Apr 11, 2007, 3:26 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #12

    Either way its a nice bucket. The paint is a little too bright green for me but I think you could put a few washes on it to dull it down a bit. Maybe even mist it with a more olive grean color.
  13. formerly slave1117a vaders right hand's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    462
    Apr 11, 2007, 3:28 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #13

    If i am not mistaken isnt' an ms different than a ms1 ms2 and ms3 ( different maker i mean ) ms1 2 3 standing for marrow sun ,and ms standing for movie size ((i have had both a fang and own an ms3 and this helmet is an inch bigger front to back than both
  14. evan4218's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,789
    Apr 11, 2007, 3:48 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #14

    MSH is the abbreviation for Movie Sized helmet. At least to my understanding.
  15. Citizen_Snips's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    266
    Apr 11, 2007, 4:01 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #15

    Quote NikNak_aka said: View Post
    Either way its a nice bucket. The paint is a little too bright green for me but I think you could put a few washes on it to dull it down a bit. Maybe even mist it with a more olive grean color.
    Yeah I know what you mean. It would be a hard job, because there is a lot detail to cover before I even start to spray. I'm also kinda peeved at the possibility that this is a recast, only because I paid 600 bucks when you include shipping. I probably should have done this before I purchased it.
  16. Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,094
    Apr 11, 2007, 4:18 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #16

    I thought the ear cap looked like a rubies one but at the same time, I didn't use my fang one either...
  17. Wes is offline Wes
    Apr 11, 2007, 5:21 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #17

    Quote Citizen_Snips said: View Post
    Yeah I know what you mean. It would be a hard job, because there is a lot detail to cover before I even start to spray. I'm also kinda peeved at the possibility that this is a recast, only because I paid 600 bucks when you include shipping. I probably should have done this before I purchased it.
    You got ripped off bro. For that kinda money you could have had evan or Spidey paint a fang for you that looks MUCH better.
  18. superjedi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,347
    Apr 11, 2007, 6:58 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #18

    Hmmm. . . I have an MS1, and the interior looks pretty much like the one shown in the photo.
    From everything I've read here, the MS1 and Sarge helmets are reeeeeeeally hard to distinguish. Except for the material of course.
    I don't know that you've ever held a fiberglass or a resin helmet, but by holding them, you can definitely feel the difference in weight. A fiberglass helmet feels more substantial.
  19. KevVader's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    44
    Apr 11, 2007, 8:17 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #19

    Quote superjedi said: View Post
    Hmmm. . . I have an MS1, and the interior looks pretty much like the one shown in the photo.
    From everything I've read here, the MS1 and Sarge helmets are reeeeeeeally hard to distinguish. Except for the material of course.
    I don't know that you've ever held a fiberglass or a resin helmet, but by holding them, you can definitely feel the difference in weight. A fiberglass helmet feels more substantial.

    It is a MS1 based on what the guy said who sold it to me told me....in fact, he said he bought it directly from MS himself. Not painted by MS tho as I had told you.

    It is NOT a Fang lid....I had one as well and the Fang is MUCH lighter/flimsier as well as a tad smaller. This helmet is much heavier and has a much smoother finish on the inside. The detail also seems to be a tad crisper.

    As far as being "ripped off"....well, I'll leave that one alone.
  20. evan4218's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,789
    Apr 11, 2007, 8:38 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #20

    Quote Citizen_Snips said: View Post
    Yeah I know what you mean. It would be a hard job, because there is a lot detail to cover before I even start to spray. I'm also kinda peeved at the possibility that this is a recast, only because I paid 600 bucks when you include shipping. I probably should have done this before I purchased it.
    Unless your up for a real PROJECT bucket, I would sell it and take what ever you can get from it and buy a MS3 if you can. The MS3 has just abou every thing done to it that you will have to do to this one to get it on par with most buckets. Even sanding it all down to re prime and paint will take hours. You should be able to at least get what a MS3 costs for this and then you have a great and more accurate canvas to paint on. Another great option is a TF bucket. He has redone his ESB as a non cold cast and its about as good as it gets as well.
  21. superjedi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,347
    Apr 11, 2007, 10:18 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #21

    Is MS still actively producing helmets, though? From what I've seen on the boards lately, they're pretty scarce.
    I also remember the MS3 being a limited run, weren't they?
  22. Citizen_Snips's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    266
    Apr 11, 2007, 10:24 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #22

    Quote evan4218 said: View Post
    Unless your up for a real PROJECT bucket, I would sell it and take what ever you can get from it and buy a MS3 if you can. The MS3 has just abou every thing done to it that you will have to do to this one to get it on par with most buckets. Even sanding it all down to re prime and paint will take hours. You should be able to at least get what a MS3 costs for this and then you have a great and more accurate canvas to paint on. Another great option is a TF bucket. He has redone his ESB as a non cold cast and its about as good as it gets as well.
    I think I'm going to sand it down and repaint it, any tips? I have a pretty good grasp on painting its just the sanding I'm worried about.
    Last edited by Citizen_Snips; Apr 11, 2007 at 11:18 PM.
  23. saint_nasty's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,852
    Apr 12, 2007, 3:58 AM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #23

    did the ms1 have the same rounded cheek corners and wrong angle on the spot behind the ear as fangs?
  24. AFettFullofDollars's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,153
    Apr 12, 2007, 7:03 AM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #24

    Quote saint_nasty said: View Post
    did the ms1 have the same rounded cheek corners and wrong angle on the spot behind the ear as fangs?
    Yes it did. Also the MS helmet tended to have a more angular curve line along the back of the helmet. The Sgt Fang has a more rounded curve with a slight warp along the back of the helmet. Plus that looks like MS grey primered interior of his early MS1 buckets. Just My two.
  25. MARROW SUN's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    608
    Apr 20, 2007, 4:01 PM - Re: Is this an MS helmet? #25

    I 95% sure this helmet is one of my earlier casting. Just from the inside shot I can reconize things I use to do plus the small bubbles inside the arrows are a good tell.