Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Feb 15, 2006, 1:04 AM - Re: MR Fett helmet #26

Another thing, why could MR or other companies make kits so we can make helmets? I'm sure they know how people are upset with how they have delt with their stuff in the past *cough* clone trooper helmet *cough.*
    Feb 15, 2006, 1:12 AM - Re: MR Fett helmet #27

I don't know for sure, but you could imagine someone blowing $100's on a kit, and try to paint it, only to turn out ... "not so accurate" and wanting their money back because of their own lack of skill. I would make an attempt, without such high hopes, but you could see someone putting down $400 ( just a number pulled out of the air for an example) for a "kit" and messing it up pretty bad, and feeling cheated out of their $400, even if it were a "paint by number" sort of thing. Just a thought.
    Feb 15, 2006, 1:17 AM - Re: MR Fett helmet #28

also, i think that as long as we are in a different niche than mr, it helps protect the underground aspect of the hobby.

sticking to the average person thing... if the average person can get a finished, licensed product for, say, $500, or a kit that needs a ton of work for $300, that kit isn't really competing for the same sale.

that's another trend i see in non-costuming type communities. some folks instinctively think licensed == better.
    Feb 15, 2006, 2:19 AM - Re: MR Fett helmet #29

I like this helmet so far. I have high hopes for the final, but stress is always close behide those hopes because I fear they wont pull it off. I have faith though. They, (at MR) have been very good about imitation of weathering enough to please the common man and almost the freaks like us. I stated in the since vanished thread that of course the paint job wont please all because it is mass produced. Custom builders do it because they are hardcore and know they can do better than any company.
    tk7602 pretty well summed up my dearly departed opinions from the last thread in this post.

Quote tk7602 said:
    heh. holy disappearing posts batman! i'm glad i get email notifications of posts... i can at least piece it back together

anyway... to restate my thoughts on it. i think we go a bit further than most fans with our love of things fett. the average star wars fan probably doesn't even realize that the ESB and RotJ bobas are different. or that the special edition scenes are different, etc...

from looking at what products MR offers, i'm guessing their target audience is middle aged guys with a fair bit of $$ to blow. and i'd also bet that those people would be none too pleased if they got a warped helmet with a drooping brow and paint that was flaking off of it.

when i had my first fett helmet at work, my coworkers all thought it looked like a piece of junk

i suspect they will be somewhere between idealized and accurate, carefully aimed at their average customer.

Off subject a bit....... How come MR hasn't showcased a mock up or even at this point a finished version of the stormtrooper helmet? I was excited because I knew they would have it on display cause its been around awhile... Instead they show an incomplete version of the very recently confirmed Fett bucket? What gives? I wanna see their "as the Empire would have built it" stormtrooper and see if it looked half as good as I suspect it might.
    Feb 15, 2006, 9:16 AM - Re: MR Fett helmet #30

Maybe it is just me but I do not see much difference between PP3 and the ESB hero other than colour. Can someone post a comparison between the two?
    Mike
    Feb 15, 2006, 9:22 AM - Re: MR Fett helmet #31

son of a gun ! I always miss the good stuff...spideyfett just filled me in...heck, even FP is in this thread !?!
    Feb 15, 2006, 9:25 AM - Re: MR Fett helmet #32

Quote Got Maul said:
    son of a gun ! I always miss the good stuff...spideyfett just filled me in...heck, even FP is in this thread !?!
    yeah, he revealed all sorts of stuff to people that didn't even know the secret fettpainter handshakes
    Feb 15, 2006, 9:30 AM - Re: MR Fett helmet #33

Quote tk7602 said:
    yeah, he revealed all sorts of stuff to people that didn't even know the secret fettpainter handshakes

yep he sure did...hey guys check out my new thread on these secrets that were revealed
    Feb 15, 2006, 11:04 AM - Re: MR Fett helmet #34

Is this a picture of Vader on the underside of the Rangefinder of the MR helmet?
    Last edited by Wolfi; Feb 15, 2006 at 11:10 AM.
    Feb 15, 2006, 11:09 AM - Re: MR Fett helmet #35

I'm a big Boba fan from Austria and i have already finished two helmets (slowly getting better). Im looking forward to get one of these MR helmets in order to have a good color example in my hands. You know, it's not so easy to get the Floquil/Polly-s colors in Europe. What do you think about color accuracy of the MR helmet?
    Feb 15, 2006, 11:16 AM - Re: MR Fett helmet #36

I'm excited about this helmet.

I'm looking forward to seeing the production piece and I am very curious about the price.
    Feb 15, 2006, 11:20 AM - Re: MR Fett helmet #37

Quote Desloc said:
    Maybe it is just me but I do not see much difference between PP3 and the ESB hero other than colour. Can someone post a comparison between the two?
    Mike
    Same colors. Same painter.
    Feb 15, 2006, 11:36 AM - Re: MR Fett helmet #38

I like it, might even get one
    Feb 15, 2006, 2:37 PM - Re: MR Fett helmet #39

I think I'm still gonna go with a MS and paint it myself, (both due to $ and for the joy of painting one myself,) but I think the MR is shaping up pretty nice, I see they even have the 2 piece earcap. I'm really curious to see how it turns out once a completed paint job is on it. Shure beats the heck out of the old Don Post & Rubies anyway!!!
    D
  15. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Feb 15, 2006, 3:04 PM - Re: MR Fett helmet #40

Quote Jango's kid said:
    I see they even have the 2 piece earcap.
    yeah... I just wish they had the correct 3 piece earcap...
    Feb 15, 2006, 3:19 PM - Re: MR Fett helmet #41

I like the helmet. The colors and shape look pretty good. Needs to be dirtied and weathered a little, but I think it looks good. Can't wait to see the finished product.
  17. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Feb 15, 2006, 3:23 PM - Re: MR Fett helmet #42

Quote Brak's Buddy said:
    yeah... I just wish they had the correct 3 piece earcap...
    To what 3 pieces are you referring on the earcap?
    Feb 15, 2006, 4:19 PM - Re: MR Fett helmet #43

Yeah, I thought there was the initial platform, which is part of the bucket, then the seperate very thin earpiece, then the stalk, then the outer cap....leaving 2 peices??????? Did I miss something

Edit: Wait a minute...Maybe they don't have the earcaps quite right!! I was always used to how the old DP's used to go. They had the first inner earpiece molded directly into the bucket, and then had an outer seperate cap. From what I can tell now after looking at th MR again, is that the inner cap is not molded directly onto the bucket, but is instead molded with the outer cap...making it a one piece ear cap. At least I can't see a parting line between the inner & outer cap as there should be. Of course, the pics aren't that great, so maybe its there & I'm just not seeing it.
    Last edited by Jango's kid; Feb 15, 2006 at 4:33 PM.
  19. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Feb 15, 2006, 4:33 PM - Re: MR Fett helmet #44

Sorry for the confusion. When I said 3 pieces, I meant three pieces to the rangefinder side ear which would be the lower ear section, the inside upper ear section, and the the outside cap for the upper ear. On the MR, the upper ear section is one piece with a slot milled in for the stalk.
    Feb 15, 2006, 4:42 PM - Re: MR Fett helmet #45

Quote Brak's Buddy said:
    Sorry for the confusion. When I said 3 pieces, I meant three pieces to the rangefinder side ear which would be the lower ear section, the inside upper ear section, and the the outside cap for the upper ear. On the MR, the upper ear section is one piece with a slot milled in for the stalk.
    Good eye! At first glance it did kind of look like a (3) pieces.
    Feb 15, 2006, 4:50 PM - Re: MR Fett helmet #46

Quote Brak's Buddy said:
    Gotcha
  22. Member Since
    Jan 2004
    Feb 15, 2006, 6:46 PM - Re: MR Fett helmet #47

Right, but again - this is a mock up (man, how many times do I have to say that?!). The ear will be three pieces in the final.
    Feb 15, 2006, 7:07 PM - Re: MR Fett helmet #48

Quote moffeaton said:
    Right, but again - this is a mock up (man, how many times do I have to say that?!). The ear will be three pieces in the final.
    How do you know so much about this again? Are you with MR? Sorry I'm still a little green here.
    Feb 15, 2006, 7:30 PM - Re: MR Fett helmet #49

he is the guy that will be doing the master paint job on the bucket

Quote kbrosseau said:
    How do you know so much about this again? Are you with MR? Sorry I'm still a little green here.
  25. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Feb 15, 2006, 7:41 PM - Re: MR Fett helmet #50

Quote moffeaton said:
    3,425 times.... ...we are a little hard of hearing around here, as you know from the last thread....I mean hard of "reading". ..that was lame....