Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Feb 11, 2003, 10:01 PM - MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can **UPDATE** Painted Pix #1

Sand and prime, sand and prime, sand and prime, sand and prime....well, you get the picture.

After a day's worth of that, I figured I'd had about as much fun as I could stand. Here's where I stopped, and here's where I start painting.

Good enough for who it's for.

I still haven't decided on all the colors yet. BTW, there is actually more of a flair than is evident in the pics. I may just cast the ear pieces from aluminum if I feel that cutting them out will be too complicated. The keyhole thingy is still left to do as well.

Feb 11, 2003, 10:15 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can Primed and Ready #2

Hey bud that looks amazing. How did you mount your visor, inquiring minds want to know. Can we see into the helmet like to see the guts if it had any. That looks like a really awesome lid MMM. I still think you should go with the Hezekiah paint scheme.
    Feb 11, 2003, 10:20 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can Primed and Ready #3

Good job bud, its coming together nicely
  4. Feb 11, 2003, 10:28 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can Primed and Ready #4

Thanks, guys. Here's the visor attachment. It's holding really well with just the two screws right now. I have holes and everything ready for four more if I decide to go that route. It kinda clips into the vertical parts of the trim, as well.
    Sorry for the fuzzy picky, I didn't use my good camera, just the cheapy.
    Feb 11, 2003, 10:45 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can Primed and Ready #5

Sweet lookin MMM. Nice way to kill two birds with one stone.
    Feb 11, 2003, 10:50 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can Primed and Ready #6

RIGHT ON!!!

MMM, you've done a heckuva job!!! That looks great!! All metal, all done by you!!

Lookin' darn good mate!!
  7. METALBOY
    Feb 11, 2003, 11:46 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can Primed and Ready #7

''Yeeeaaahhh MMM you go man''. Awesome helmet', smooth looking dome. GREAT JOB.
  8. Feb 12, 2003, 12:05 AM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can Primed and Ready #8

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Heya, MetalBoy. I was going to hammer out a sheet of aluminum to make the dome like I did my armor and cheekpieces, but after really studying the pics of the real helmet, a light went off in my head. It looked alot like the dome of a GI steelpot helmet. I got one and cut it up. Lemme tell you, buddy, THAT was a b!+(#, but it ultimately saved me alot of time( I had to use an angle grinder to cut that stuff).

If you're ever in a surplus store, check one of those out for your next one.
    Feb 12, 2003, 3:17 AM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can Primed and Ready #9

Guess I don't need to tell ya what I think of your work, but I will anyway: That is amazing! I can't imagine what it must feel like to have created your own Fett helmet from scratch-IN METAL! Astounding work MMM!
    Feb 12, 2003, 12:15 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can Primed and Ready #10

Oh...my...god...

That is absolutely beautiful...gorgeous...very impressive.

Makes me want to learn a new skill!
  11. Member Since
    Aug 2002
    Feb 12, 2003, 6:30 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can Primed and Ready #11

That looks great D-MMM-H . You have created quite the bucket. Keep the pictures coming!
  12. Feb 12, 2003, 9:43 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can Primed and Ready #12

Thanks to you guys too.

I started painting it today. No pics until I get the weathering done. Something is "off" and "doesn't look right", mainly because they are custom colors and not what we are used to.
  13. Feb 13, 2003, 12:28 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can Primed and Ready #13

Ok, kiddos. Here it is. I still have a couple techniques that I may try before I finally seal it, but this is just about the whole ball'o'wax here.
    I won't go on about secret colors or techniques(it's not like I made a pact with the devil), since nobody else would probably want these colors for themselves anyway. If anyone does have questions, though, I'll be happy to answer them.

Feb 13, 2003, 12:34 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can **UPDATE** Painted Pix #14

Lookin' good dude! I'm proud of you!!!

15. Feb 13, 2003, 12:46 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can **UPDATE** Painted Pix #15

Thanks, Rex. Means alot to me. After all, YOU'RE the one who started me on all this stuff in the first place!
    Feb 13, 2003, 12:59 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can **UPDATE** Painted Pix #16

Lookin good MMM. Lets see some pics with the rest of the armor.
    Feb 13, 2003, 1:07 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can **UPDATE** Painted Pix #17

MegalomaniacalMandalore wrote:

Thanks, Rex. Means alot to me. After all, YOU'RE the one who started me on all this stuff in the first place!
    So does that mean you're buying the beers, or do I have to...to make up for it?!?!

Feb 13, 2003, 4:30 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can **UPDATE** Painted Pix #18

sweet bro
  19. Appolo_50
    Feb 13, 2003, 5:11 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can **UPDATE** Painted Pix #19

WOot WoOt!!! this rounds on me!!!!

edit: as soon as I can find my fake ID
  20. Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Feb 13, 2003, 10:03 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can **UPDATE** Painted Pix #20

MMM...you did it Man! When you first brought this up about the G.I. helmet for the dome, I didn't think you were really going to do it since them metal helmets are a bit tough. You really are an Artist without limits! I guess with that metal top, you can use a .38 pistol to create real dents.
    Great Work MMM!

21. Feb 14, 2003, 1:08 AM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can **UPDATE** Painted Pix #21

Thanks so much for the support.

BJF, the only thing I'm dreading more than the 38 caliber acid test, is the inevitable Tom-and-Jerry-hit-the-pot-with-the-big-spoon test.
  22. Ego
    Feb 14, 2003, 6:55 AM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can **UPDATE** Painted Pix #22

That helmet looks badass man . . . .

You know, you people here make me sick . . . with your "talent" and "making things" and "doing it yourself" . . . . makes me look bad! hehhee

Jer
    Feb 14, 2003, 11:33 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can **UPDATE** Painted Pix #23

I know how you feel EGO the only thing I have hand made was an attempt at cardboard gauntlets and the next morning my mom threw them in the trash cause she though it was garbage.
  24. Feb 14, 2003, 11:39 PM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can **UPDATE** Painted Pix #24

Aww, dude. That must be a mistake. Maybe she was drunk or something?

Seriously. There isn't any secret to any of this stuff that any of us here do. Granted, some have gifts of perception etc., but the skills are all acquired. I would love to have you all come to my house and pound out your own head cans. I always look forward to one of my proteges bettering me; it's the true mark of a good teacher when your student learns enough to then be the teacher.
    Feb 15, 2003, 10:48 AM - Re: MMM's Scratchbuilt Metal Head Can **UPDATE** Painted Pix #25

Wow dude... that's so cool. I'd love to be able to work with metal like that. Really cool.

To be honest with you, when I saw the first profile picture of the painted helmet I couldn't stop thinking about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

Sorry man... not that it looks bad... cause it DOESN'T. It looks cool! I guess I'm just odd like that.