Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MLC-style sculpture with dp \'95 - updated 9/17/03

rdpmackie

MLC-style sculpture with dp '95 - updated 9/17/03

Adding material to the dome and reshaping it a little are my latest updates. I think I have it close enough to prepare to make a mold.

The criticisms I have received from this thread have really helped me to see the helmet better.

As a result I have:
    <UL><LI>trimmed 1cm off the bottom of the helmet
    <LI>trimmed 1.3cm off the bottom of the 'lid'
    <LI>balanced and increased the flare by a few mm's
    <LI>narrowed the visor to measure 1 7/8" (from 2 1/4"!)
    <LI>taken in the 'beak' and the flare at the back
    <LI>added more material and reshaped the dome[/list]
    Thanks for the critique! Check out the new images with ears! The ears are just tacked on so I could see what the helmet will look like, they are not in the precise position they will be when everything is complete. The rangefinder is one off my '95 standard. I'll be making a longer one for this helmet.

I still have some sanding to do, but I'll be casting this soon. I'll be sure to post more pictures of that process.

A big THANKS to mlcallanta for the helmet construction pics!!

Looking at these comparisons you will se that my original mistakes were all due to my completely inaccurate dp '97 standard - the 'beak', the rear flare, the flat head can all be seen clearly on the dp...now I don't feel so bad...it wasn't my poor eyesight, it was the reference

Before:

After (newest - narrower visor, fixed flare, better dome):

Before:

After (most recent):

Let me know what you think. Tear it to shreds!!

Re: MLC-style sculpture opinions needed

Looking Good! More pics would be nice. Your bucket looks a little long and a little squished on the sides, but that could just be the camera effect. The dome looks a little too tall as well. Show us a little more of this bad boy from different angles, and some pics that aren't so close so there's less camera warping.

Ryan

From
    Kingman, Arizona, United States, 107964532558835, Kingman, Arizona

Re: MLC-style sculpture opinions needed - new pics added

So far so good. I'm not sure if it is the angle or the fact there is no color but the visor looks a little squinty in the first pic.

From

Mirax H wrote:

So far so good. I'm not sure if it is the angle or the fact there is no color but the visor looks a little squinty in the first pic.
    *edit, after looking at the Mystery helmet pics posted by TK409, I'm thinking you might want to make the center portion of the visor a little more narrow.

rdpmackie

Yeah, I relize now that the vertical visor portion may be too wide. I can change it though, pretty easily. It is made of illustrator board & bondo. All I have to do is trim the outside of the vertical portion and add half a centemeter to the inside. I think I will keep updating the pics in this post as I get more opinions in, and I make changes to it.

Thanks for these first opinions! Gimme more please!

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

Thats really a super lookin bucket you have going there. I agree that the visor might need a little adjustment, but otherwise it looks pretty dang good. It could use a bit more flare perhaps, but until the ears are on it, its hard to tell. outstanding effort so far!!

MLax

Re: MLC-style sculpture opinions needed - updated again!

i think that looks great. a little more flair maybe, but its true that u need the ears on to make an accurate decision.

one thing i noticed is that it seem like the right cheek has more flair than the left, but that could be a trick of the camera.

Everything else looks fabulous.

rdpmackie

MLax wrote:

one thing i noticed is that it seem like the right cheek has more flair than the left...
    God Damn!!! Eagle eyes or what?! At first I thought "what's this guy talking about", but I cheked it out and you are right!! The right side was about 3 or 4 mm less than the left. I added 6mm to the left and 3 to the right. I'll have more pics up tomorrow (hopefully!).

Thanks for posting your thoughts!

From
    Orlando, FL

Very nice looking helmet you got there. It looks much better after you adjusted it. What are you making it out of?

rdpmackie

This is a non-wearable sculpture that i will use to cast in fiberglass.

take a look at the MLC tutorial post under the helmet category.

It's made from illustrator board, and bondo on a wood paneling frame.

Hi Robert,

I'm glad to see that some of you are benefitting from my simple tutorial
    Your work is awesome and goodluck in its development!

Mardon

From

Re: MLC-style sculpture opinions needed - updated 9/8/03

Defintitely like the narrower visor area!

I have to quick suggestions: Work on your dome and the profile of the helmet. Those are probably the two areas of the helmet that trip up most replicas.

The dome is a bit flat, and the comparison photos will better show the correct shape of the dome.

And the profile of the real helmet is almost perfectly parallel. You've got some jutting of the mandibles and at the rear of the helmet.

I think correcting those two areas, along with all the other great observations in this thread, will really enhance an already impressive effort!

From
    Louisville, KY

Looking great!

rdpmackie

Re: MLC-style sculpture opinions needed - updated 9/10/03

Quote:
    The dome is a bit flat, and the comparison photos will better show the correct shape of the dome.

And the profile of the real helmet is almost perfectly parallel. You've got some jutting of the mandibles and at the rear of the helmet.
    Thanks..err...man?!?
    Great pointers!

Thanks to your pointers I have:
    <UL><LI>taken in the front to remove the 'beak'
    <LI>taken in the rear of the helmet to make it more parallel to the front.
    <LI>removed material at the front of the lid and added material to the back.[/list]
    before............................................ ..............reference........................... .........................after

Thanks!!

MLax

tyler is right, the front does seem to go out just a little bit. the helmet has somewhat of a "beak". Also, the back of the helmet, the round part, shout not follow the same vector as the face.

Once the cheek reach the ear piece they stop moving up, then u have the round part of the helmet, that does not move up.

Im not sure if u follow. If u dont just say so, ill see if i can draw it up.

-----------------------------------------------------------

you should do that ghosting image thing. I remember it being on the MSH2. It really compliments how accurate the helmet is. I dont think your helmet is there quite yet, but by doing that we can see what needs to be worked on.

This helmet is getting very good, I cant wait to see it with ear pieces.

From
    Nr Bristol, UK

Re: MLC-style sculpture opinions needed - updated 9/15/03

Really very impressive, Robert. Good work. Excellent mods following previous pointers. It has really improved on an already impressive start.

Only thing I see (having briefly compared - haven't got time for an in-depth at the mo as I'm at work) is your dome looks a little lower than the original. could be a bit taller, that's all.

Obviously missing the dent, right cheek greeblie and left mandible slot, but I'm guessing they'll come once you are happy with your overall shape.

I think you are pretty much there, pending someone with more time accurately measuring the height of the domes.

Good work!

Si

rdpmackie

Thanks...it's amazing how many things I don't see until someone states them!!

The dome is indeed too short. I thought the shape was a little off but I hadn't realized it needed more material.

rdpmackie

sorry guys I forgot to correct the camera warp on the most recent photos I uploaded. I realized my mistake when I was checking out what han hunter said about the dome height. I was looking at the photo and the actual helmet and I noticed the actual helmet didn't look as shallow as the photo. I do have to add material to the dome but not as much as the warped photos had me believe.

I hope I have the warp corrected now...it's hard to expect accurate criticism when the photos are warped.

Re: MLC-style sculpture with dp '95 - updated 9/17/03

Man, that is truly a fantastic effort!!! With all the great advice you're getting, and the level of talent you have displayed, there's no doubt in my mind that you will end up with one of the best looking helmets around. Fantastic work, keep it up. I can't wait to see the final product.

From
    Louisville, KY

It's going to be awesome when you finally get it shaped correctly, primed, painted, weathered, and constructed. Not only will you have a great helmet, but when you wear it, you'll be able to say to yourself: "I made this. I actually made it!". Awesome job!

rdpmackie

Thanks for the compliments guys! I really appreciate it.

The whole idea of making everything is out of financial necessity, but it does give me a warm fuzzy feeling , and a sense of pride. Many people that have the money don't have the time, so I'm not knocking people who buy stuff either.

It will be very cool to say 'I made it from scratch' next year at dragon con atlanta when people ask me what my helmet is.

From
    Puerto Rico

Outstanding helmet, congratulations.

From

It's always great to say "I made it"

From
    Las Vegas, NV

I'd love to see a new straight on shot since the changes have been made. If possible please put it up on a small post of something so the helmet hangs down naturally instead of sitting it on a table. That will make it easier to compare... GREAT job so far!!!