Subscribe
  1. Alcfalath's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    548
    Apr 19, 2008, 12:07 PM - Member in need of Complete RotJ Stencils?? #1

    Hey guys,

    Ive looked all through here, and ive not been successful in finding any RotJ Stencils for the helmet, or any major RotJ paintjob WIPs with pics/step by step photo progress threads...

    Anyways im going to need some pretty in depth detailed templates if they have been made, or detailed pics on how to do a screen accurate RotJ helmet paintjob..

    My last helmet i did Layered, and as awesome as it turned out, i want to be able to add the very detailed damage, so it looks like ill be doing both Topical and Layered and see how that will go. Mostly it will be the main paint and damage done by layering, with the extra added details done Topically where its needed.

    If any of you on here can help, that would be greatly appreciated plus also it could be made a sticky so that people in the same boat could find the RotJ Helmet Details very easily... and also hopefully before June, as I have a convention coming up on June 28-29 (SupaNova in Perth for the first time ever!! ) and its the first major Public Debut of the 501st over in Western Australia, and im wanting to be 501st approved, and make us look great to help get more recruits into our soon to be squad

    Im anxiously looking forward to what this thread comes up with
  2. LostSonOfSparda's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    482
    Apr 24, 2008, 12:32 PM - Re: Member in need of Complete RotJ Stencils?? #2

    Quote Alcfalath said: View Post
    plus also it could be made a sticky so that people in the same boat could find the RotJ Helmet Details very easily.

    Dude, werd to ur mother! I'm right there with you; getting frustrated at the lack of coherent ROTJ reference.

    All I can find by searching and asking around is just stencils and paint lists for ESB, but no list for ROTJ!

    Somebody must know, right?
  3. saint_nasty's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,875
    Apr 24, 2008, 12:44 PM - Re: Member in need of Complete RotJ Stencils?? #3

    if you want some really good rotj reference go to: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/misc/tdh_ref/ (username: tdh member pass:ilovetdh) check out the MoM exhibit pics. all rotj, i plan on using those pics for ref on my next helmet.

    and colors, AFFo$ has that stickied topic here: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=11819 that thread has all spraypaint colors, scroll down a little bit for rotj. the only thing is i don't know if australia has walmart.

    and here is a step by step tutorial from stormtrooper guy: http://www.stormtrooperguy.com/bobafett/ms3.php
  4. LostSonOfSparda's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    482
    Apr 24, 2008, 12:54 PM - Re: Member in need of Complete RotJ Stencils?? #4

    Thanks nasty, I'm sure that will help a ton! I saw AFFO$ spraypaint list, but haven't found a list for airbrush paints yet...
  5. stormtrooperguy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,039
    Apr 24, 2008, 12:55 PM - Re: Member in need of Complete RotJ Stencils?? #5

    i don't know that any stencils have ever been made.

    there isn't an "official" color list, or templates, or anything... and honestly, that's one of the HUGE things that draws me to the rotj helmet.

    i've done 6 rotj helmets now. every time i've used different paints, different weathering techniques, etc...

    i have progress on one of my various paintups at:
    http://stormtrooperguy.com/bobafett/helmet.php

    i try to avoid posting color lists or anything because i don't want anyone taking my word for anything. i just try to do what looks right to me. doesn't mean it's right for everyone though

    on my last one i was finally happy with the dome color, but i'm still not "there" on the visor... it's closer, but not quite right. the back color i'm good with, and silver is silver.

    i'm also not quite happy with the grey color i've had... not quite the right tone yet.

    maybe the next one i'll get there
  6. Lucksy31's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,225
    Apr 24, 2008, 1:24 PM - Re: Member in need of Complete RotJ Stencils?? #6

    here's another link, of my ROTJ armor progress that SuperJedi painted:

    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...lucksy31+armor

    -Scott
  7. LostSonOfSparda's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    482
    Apr 24, 2008, 1:47 PM - Re: Member in need of Complete RotJ Stencils?? #7

    Keep the good info coming guys, PLEASE!

    and thanks
  8. stormtrooperguy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,039
    Apr 24, 2008, 1:50 PM - Re: Member in need of Complete RotJ Stencils?? #8

    Quote LostSonOfSparda said: View Post
    Keep the good info coming guys, PLEASE!

    and thanks
    search for rotj in the helmet section and you'll get a ton of them.
  9. LostSonOfSparda's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    482
    Apr 24, 2008, 2:09 PM - Re: Member in need of Complete RotJ Stencils?? #9

    Quote tk7602 said: View Post
    search for rotj in the helmet section and you'll get a ton of them.
    As far as I can tell, it doesn't turn up anything in regards to the names of paints used with an airbrush.

    Not trying to 'jack this thread, but the more info coherently in one place, the better. Right?
  10. stormtrooperguy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,039
    Apr 24, 2008, 2:43 PM - Re: Member in need of Complete RotJ Stencils?? #10

    Quote LostSonOfSparda said: View Post
    As far as I can tell, it doesn't turn up anything in regards to the names of paints used with an airbrush.

    Not trying to 'jack this thread, but the more info coherently in one place, the better. Right?
    that goes back to my first comment... as far as i've seen at least, there just plain isn't an rotj paint list like there is for esb.

    rouge studios has done a ton of inside research on ESB, but i don't think anything like that has been done for rotj. so anything anyone comes up with is going to be best guess. and even the RS paint list for esb evolves as new info comes out.

    in looking for a good dome color (rattlecan), i just bought one of every green paint i could get. i sprayed them all onto some white plastic and then took that inside, outside, took pictures of it in various lighting and looked at the pics, etc...

    i then experimented with mixing colors, misting, dullcoating, etc... eventually landing on something i liked.

    but even after all that, it's all in the eye of the beholder
  11. LostSonOfSparda's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    482
    Apr 24, 2008, 2:47 PM - Re: Member in need of Complete RotJ Stencils?? #11

    Quote tk7602 said: View Post
    that goes back to my first comment... as far as i've seen at least, there just plain isn't an rotj paint list like there is for esb.

    rouge studios has done a ton of inside research on ESB, but i don't think anything like that has been done for rotj. so anything anyone comes up with is going to be best guess. and even the RS paint list for esb evolves as new info comes out.

    in looking for a good dome color (rattlecan), i just bought one of every green paint i could get. i sprayed them all onto some white plastic and then took that inside, outside, took pictures of it in various lighting and looked at the pics, etc...

    i then experimented with mixing colors, misting, dullcoating, etc... eventually landing on something i liked.

    but even after all that, it's all in the eye of the beholder
    Golly, that's a lot of trial and error it seems. How much did it cost for all that green?
    I might end up doing just that as well and compiling my own list for airbrush paints. I know that's gonna cost a pretty penny for all the paint, but somebody, somewhere out there will appreciate the effort.
  12. stormtrooperguy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,039
    Apr 24, 2008, 3:39 PM - Re: Member in need of Complete RotJ Stencils?? #12

    Quote LostSonOfSparda said: View Post
    Golly, that's a lot of trial and error it seems. How much did it cost for all that green?
    I might end up doing just that as well and compiling my own list for airbrush paints. I know that's gonna cost a pretty penny for all the paint, but somebody, somewhere out there will appreciate the effort.
    I dunno... 50-60 bucks or so? Something like that. I enjoy the trial and error as much or more than the finished result, so I'm happy to do it.

    Sorta like cutting up an MR helmet to see if it would be pretty when I was done with it
  13. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Apr 24, 2008, 6:38 PM - Re: Member in need of Complete RotJ Stencils?? #13

    Hey guys,
    Here's my thread
    The paints & colors I used are a in post #6 in this thread
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...ghlight=helmet

    Hope it helps a little

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Fett ESB/ ROTJ Armor, Helmet, JetPack Paint Stencils
    By Lucksy31 in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Mar 5, 2012, 3:31 PM
  2. First RotJ Pack complete!
    By mixmastermace in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Jan 14, 2008, 11:54 PM
  3. MY COMPLETE ROTJ COSTUME
    By whistle8mp in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Jan 11, 2008, 7:52 PM
  4. ESB and ROTJ Paint Stencils
    By boba trooper in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep 22, 2007, 3:15 PM
  5. RotJ Paint stencils
    By Skupilkinson in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul 27, 2007, 3:02 AM