Subscribe
    Feb 12, 2007, 8:49 AM - MDF or particle board #1

I was checking out Lowe's yesterday looking for some 1/4"MDF, but could not find any. All they had was 5/8" particle board and laminated plywood. I want to use something sturdy like the MDF to make the frame for the flared part of the Boba Fett helmet using WOF's templates, but I think 5/8" particle board will be too hard to work with.

Any suggestions? What have other people used in the past that has worked well? I'm making the helmet out of Sintra.
  2. I helped at SDCC '08 Jango 5204's Avatar
    Feb 12, 2007, 10:28 AM - Re: MDF or particle board #2

Have you tried hardboard? I believe it's 1/8" thick and probably lighter than MDF. IT's basically pegboard with no holes. Has a smooth side and a rough side.
    Feb 12, 2007, 12:16 PM - Re: MDF or particle board #3

Check out home depot. Frankly, lowes sells MDF thats meant for roofs and pre-molded to different form. As far as making an MDF bucket, thats one heck of a challenge.

-tubachris
    Feb 12, 2007, 2:04 PM - Re: MDF or particle board #4

No, no, no. The FRAME of the bucket will be made of MDF. On WOF's templates labeled "Dome Base", "Helmet Base", "Helmet Front/Back" and "Helmet Form Rt/Lt" make a frame that you wrap the "Inner Surface" around. These pieces ensure the proper angle for the flare of the helmet.
    Feb 12, 2007, 2:31 PM - Re: MDF or particle board #5

Quote Southern hunter said: View Post
    No, no, no. The FRAME of the bucket will be made of MDF. On WOF's templates labeled "Dome Base", "Helmet Base", "Helmet Front/Back" and "Helmet Form Rt/Lt" make a frame that you wrap the "Inner Surface" around. These pieces ensure the proper angle for the flare of the helmet.

My bad, welll still, you can get some MDF from home depot, a sheet for like $5 or around that. I cant remember what thicknesses they had there, only kind Ive been using is 1/2'' thick. Since it would be the frame, one sheet should cover it all.

-tubachris
    (Who may need to get some new glasses....)
    Feb 13, 2007, 6:45 AM - Re: MDF or particle board #6

Hey Tubachris, how has the MDF been working for you? What are you going to make your bucket out of?
    Feb 13, 2007, 8:15 AM - Re: MDF or particle board #7

Well, ive been using the MDF for making vacu-form molds for my Dark troper project. It works well if you have a good jigg saw, and a good power sander, like a belt sander. I actually have a Jango helmet already, but a Boba may be in the .

-tubachris