Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. superjedi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,383
    May 31, 2007, 12:03 AM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #26

    Wooooooooooooooowwww!

    So is the idea to eventually offer this as a kit???
  2. skygunbro is offline skygunbro
    May 31, 2007, 12:09 AM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #27

    Well I have been on a concept helmet tear lately im finishing up the Mcquarrie stormtrooper and now starting this one and have another concept helmet in mind when this is done.
    Because this is going to be a clay sculpt I will have to make 2 molds one of the original sculpt and then Ill have to pull a hard copy and clean it up smooth to make my master.So yeah I probably will offer a few to cover my costs on the project.
  3. superjedi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,383
    May 31, 2007, 12:23 AM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #28

    Cool! I'll be paying attention to this project as it goes along.

    It's hard to tell in the pics, but it looks like the mandibles on the original helmet are kind of "smooshed" together at the bottom. Would that make it too small to wear? Or do you plan to only make it as a display piece?
  4. skygunbro is offline skygunbro
    May 31, 2007, 12:41 AM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #29

    Quote superjedi said: View Post
    Cool! I'll be paying attention to this project as it goes along.

    It's hard to tell in the pics, but it looks like the mandibles on the original helmet are kind of "smooshed" together at the bottom. Would that make it too small to wear? Or do you plan to only make it as a display piece?
    Yeah i cut a slit in each corner of the eye slot and squeezed the mandibles together and bondoed them.
    It should be wearable because the clay sculpt will go back out to the area where the mandibles would generally be.The reason i did this was because if I sculpted over them in the original postiton the helmet would have been to huge and out of proportion.
  5. t_bone9600's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    856
    May 31, 2007, 12:54 AM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #30

    Cool! I was gonna work on a sculpt of this helmet when I get out of school.
  6. skygunbro is offline skygunbro
    May 31, 2007, 12:57 AM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #31

    Quote t_bone9600 said: View Post
    Cool! I was gonna work on a sculpt of this helmet when I get out of school.
    You still should! I love the concept stuff... and the cool thing is everyone who does one it will be a little differnt just like the Mcquarrie sketches are all a little different.
    If you decide to do one lmk would be glad to help in any way I can.-Jason
  7. Wes is offline Wes
    May 31, 2007, 10:54 AM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #32

    Jason, you must buy clay by the ton man!

    Looking good dude.
  8. eighteendelta's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    255
    May 31, 2007, 11:03 AM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #33

    I am willing to bet you have been asked more than once, but what kind of clay are you using? Oil/wax based or water? Do you have any problems getting it to stick to your 'armature'? I have been having trouble getting my chavant NSP soft to stick to mine since it wants to stick to my fingers more than flat plastic surfaces. So I have been using the water based clay, I just foresee this as problematic when I go to mold, since I planned on using water based clay to dam for the plaster and silicone. I guess it just means more work in finalizing...

    Outstanding work BTW.

    -x
  9. skygunbro is offline skygunbro
    May 31, 2007, 11:49 AM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #34

    Quote eighteendelta said: View Post
    I am willing to bet you have been asked more than once, but what kind of clay are you using? Oil/wax based or water? Do you have any problems getting it to stick to your 'armature'? I have been having trouble getting my chavant NSP soft to stick to mine since it wants to stick to my fingers more than flat plastic surfaces. So I have been using the water based clay, I just foresee this as problematic when I go to mold, since I planned on using water based clay to dam for the plaster and silicone. I guess it just means more work in finalizing...

    Outstanding work BTW.

    -x
    I use Roma plastilena med./firm.I dont generally have problems with it not wanting to stick.On smooth abs or sintra it does tend to slide around a bit.what I do in that situation is drill pilot holes into the armature to give the clay a place to root into this works great.
    I tried the wax based prima plastilena and hated it it was like sculpting with warm peanut butter it stuck to my hands better than it did the sculpture but it is great for making dams when molding.
  10. eighteendelta's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    255
    May 31, 2007, 11:59 AM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #35

    I assume you just seal it up good before molding, I used romalina once before finding out about the sulfur retarding the curing process in silicone. I kind of moved away from it after that disaster, maybe I will give it a go again, I still have about 20 lbs of romalina in the basement. Thanks for your time man.

    -x
  11. skygunbro is offline skygunbro
    May 31, 2007, 1:29 PM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #36

    Quote eighteendelta said: View Post
    I assume you just seal it up good before molding, I used romalina once before finding out about the sulfur retarding the curing process in silicone. I kind of moved away from it after that disaster, maybe I will give it a go again, I still have about 20 lbs of romalina in the basement. Thanks for your time man.

    -x
    Yeah you def. wanna seal it good with several coats of krylon crystal clear. thats what i use and it work well just got to make sure you seal it well it kindd of puts a vapor barrier between the clay and the mold material.
  12. t_bone9600's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    856
    May 31, 2007, 2:07 PM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #37

    Quote skygunbro said: View Post
    You still should! I love the concept stuff... and the cool thing is everyone who does one it will be a little differnt just like the Mcquarrie sketches are all a little different.
    If you decide to do one lmk would be glad to help in any way I can.-Jason
    I definitely still want to do it. I love building stuff from scratch, when I have the time to make it look right. Maybe I'll make one of the other concept variations. I've seen a couple different ones. I've bben trying to think of a way to do the fold out abdominal gun and have it look right when retracted too. BTW I recently got one of your jumpsuits from someone here. Very nice work!

    -Troy
  13. t_bone9600's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    856
    May 31, 2007, 2:28 PM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #38

    Here is a pic I found a while back and one I scanned from the comics that came with the new release of the DVDs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fett concept helmetssm.JPG 
Views:	2618 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	17928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fett Conceptsm.JPG 
Views:	2594 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	17929  
  14. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,586
    May 31, 2007, 8:41 PM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #39

    Lookin forward to see more progress
  15. Bubba Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,308
    May 31, 2007, 10:43 PM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #40

    Very cool. I was actually thinking of doing a McQuarrie Vader, much more menacing then the movie version IMHO.
  16. t_bone9600's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    856
    Jun 1, 2007, 6:37 PM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #41

    Quote Bubba Fett said: View Post
    Very cool. I was actually thinking of doing a McQuarrie Vader, much more menacing then the movie version IMHO.
    I think the helmet in the lower right corner of the pics above looks like it could have been a Vader concept. Here's another pic I found.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Concept-14sm.JPG 
Views:	2526 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	17960  
    Last edited by t_bone9600; Jun 1, 2007 at 6:48 PM.
  17. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,520
    Jun 1, 2007, 7:23 PM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #42

    I love progress pics..
  18. Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,094
    Jun 8, 2007, 2:51 PM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #43

    That looks awesome.

    Anyone else with this figure have a problem with him falling apart?
  19. t_bone9600's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    856
    Jun 20, 2007, 8:20 PM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #44

    Any progress on this?
  20. setra's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    203
    Jul 13, 2007, 9:04 AM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #45

    any progress?
  21. skygunbro is offline skygunbro
    Jul 14, 2007, 11:58 PM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #46

    More progress on the McQuarrie Fett sculpt.No where near done still roughing everyting in. Then will tweak it a bit.


  22. tubachris85x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,948
    Jul 15, 2007, 12:32 AM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #47

    Thats certainly looking pretty good, its cool to see concept art come to reallity. Keep it up!

    -tubachris
  23. t_bone9600's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    856
    Jul 15, 2007, 1:03 PM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #48

    Sweet. I can't wait to see it finished.
  24. whitecommando's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    82
    Jul 15, 2007, 3:29 PM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #49

    Nice!

    John
  25. Mercke Lutso's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    262
    Jul 28, 2007, 3:33 PM - Re: Mcquarrie Fett helmet WIP (action figure based) #50

    SkyGunBro you are INSANE!!!

Similar Threads

  1. My Custom Jeremy Bulloch / Boba Fett Action Figure
    By azheat01 in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Mar 11, 2010, 2:58 PM
  2. Another figure-based helmet - The McQuarrie Pre-Pro Fett
    By Jaiden in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov 19, 2008, 6:23 AM
  3. Mystery action figure
    By tinstar5541 in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Mar 11, 2008, 3:18 AM
  4. Lopero action figure
    By Scoutleader in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul 14, 2007, 10:56 AM
  5. Who made the Fett ESB pistol based on the Marmit figure?
    By Bradleyfett in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Mar 3, 2005, 10:42 AM