Hey guys. I thought I'd write up a little instructions of how I fixed the pinch on my master replica helmet.
I’ve never done anything like this so please bare with the less than professional ways
I used to do it.
Things I used.
JB Weld the kind that you cut and kneed together as needed
#5 welding shield
painters 3m tape
Hand held Plexi glass cutter
I started by peeling back the lining about a half inch to an inch all the way around the existing visor.
I used an x-acto knife to cut any stingy glue holding the lining on. I made slits near the eye ends to peel it back easier. the arrows in the pic point that out.
I used duct tape to hold the lining back and out of the way.
I used a small Phillips screw driver to remove the screws all around the visor. There are a lot of screw so take your time with them.
I would have re-used the screws but I thought it would be near impossible to re line up new holes in a new visor with the existing holes for the screws and I didn’t want to drill
New holes into the helmet.
I cut three toothpicks to the size I wanted the mandibles to be spread and I taped them together using 3m painters tape to not effect the paint on the helmet.
I heated the helmet inside and out with a blow dryer and added the “spacers” toothpicks to the openings so the helmet wasn’t stressed and started taking that shape. It’s actually pretty bendable and easy to shape once you get the initial visor out and add heat to it.
I used spacers like in this picture.
This pic shows the spacers I made and where I had them and the arrows are pointing to the gap I'll talk about when I'm putting the visor in below.
When I removed the visor I split it apart and used mostly the eye part to trace the size
Exactly. I modified the bottom part making it as wide as needed to keep the mandibles open to the correct size. After I traced the size I wanted I cut the new shield with a hand held plexi glass cutter and a straight edge. This takes some elbow grease and patience to do it right. I was able to hold the new visor down flat to make the cut. I broke my first visor cause I didn’t cut deep enough before I tried to crack the excess off. You really have to score it almost all the way through to avoid this.
In this pic when I say I cut it too short I meant too narrow.
I got the size I wanted and put it in to fit but it wasn’t wide enough so I super glued toothpicks on either side to make up the distance. Now the shield rests nicely on the
Toothpicks and is holding the mandibles open.
Once a I got a nice fit all around with the new shield I starter at the bottom with the JB weld and small pieces and started bonding the helmet and shield covering up the toothpicks at the bottom and heading upwards with small pieces of needed bond.
kinda blury pic of the weldbond
I got to a tricky part where the mandible was sticking slightly out further then the other
So I needed to exert extra force to push it back in slightly to bond to the shield. Otherwise there would have been a gap. Besides the cutting of the new visor this was the second most challenging step cause I had to hold it together in place with force for a half hour or more for it to bond to the shield.
this pic shows where I applied the extra pressure
I used less bond around the eye parts because it was pretty snug in there already with no gaps.
I took the duct tape off the lining and laid it back down and it covered the weld bond from the inside nicely.
And there you have it. I was worried about the paint coming off because I was handling it so much put where ever I could I used causing and a soft t-shirt to exert pressure to cover my finger tips. I also taped the visor with the 3m painters tape to protect it while I was jb welding it on.
[FONT=Times New Roman]Thanks to everyone on here who helped me out with the questions I had along the way.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]