Look ma, no stencil!!

From
    killinois

Look ma, no stencil!!

So after extensive research on the stencils available for my helmet, I decided against it and went entirely by reference photos. It's only the mandibles but after being pretty happy with the results, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go the same way with the rest of the helmet.
    Painted 100% with the "layering" method, using only Montana Gold spray cans(to go with the rest of my Fett).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0901-jpg   img_0902-jpg   img_0903-jpg  

img_0904-jpg  

Re: Look ma, no stencil!!

lookin' great so far!

From
    Beaverton, Oregon

Off to a great start. Keep posting pics.

From
    UK

Great start bruv...
    Qn- I assume that is the 2nd gen helmet from SGfang? I notice the bottom of the lower cheeks still have the areas that were altered when his son 'handled' the mould? have you fixed these and am I seeing just a light change in the silver...

From
    Horten, Norway

I have this helmet too.
    Just follow the steps in this thread http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...hlight=SgtFang and you will have a smooth surface there.
    Looks awesome so far.

Account Deactivated

i got that helm, took some sanding and detailing, but not that difficult to get those bubbles off of there...dremmel was my friend.... make sure to use the finer sand paper to finish it off....

Dido..... Take your time with the sanding the bumps can be removed. I used a mouse sander to get even surface sanding.... start with a 80 girt and then move to a 200 or 400 to finish the surface. to finsh... USE A BLOCK A WOOD, so the area stays flat.
    A mouse sander will be your best friend.

The good thing with the SgtV2 is that the im perfections in are gone though out the whole cast except the bumps on the lower mandiables.

As for painting keep up the good work.. There some good pre pro 3 helmet pics that Art shot a couple months ago i wish i has those before working on my helmet. The stencials are great reference but dont show everything, id say theres about 25% of the marks missing from the stenicals, But there still awsome reference.

From
    killinois

Mojo-Fett said: View Post
    Great start bruv...
    Qn- I assume that is the 2nd gen helmet from SGfang? I notice the bottom of the lower cheeks still have the areas that were altered when his son 'handled' the mould? have you fixed these and am I seeing just a light change in the silver...
    Yes, that is the helmet I have. For now I'm going to leave the "bulge" alone until after the holidays(halloween) so I can have a complete costume. But sometime after that I plan on fixing it.
    I really didn't think it was that bad until I put the first coat of primer on it. Then all of a sudden it stuck out like a sore thumb. I'm hoping I can hide it a little bit with all of the weathering.

This job wouldn't be any fun if it was easy.

From
    UK

suspect86 said: View Post
    This job wouldn't be any fun if it was easy.
    True that...
    Wasn't havin a jab bruv, It just stuck out at me?
    Glad to hear that your gonna get to it later.

From
    killinois

Okay, the entire purpose of staying away from stencils was so I wouldn't have to spend so much time on every little detail. A lot of good that did me!!
    I just spent the last 3 days masking and painting the upper cheeks and rear section of the helmet.
    Again; I used Montana Gold spray cans. The colors are NOT canon and chances are, I will probably opt to repaint the whole thing when I finish it.
    But it never hurts to try something different.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0907-jpg   img_0908-jpg   img_0910-jpg  

Love those colours! Weathering looks very nice aswell.

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

Nice detail.

From
    killinois

Well...
    Here it is(he says with very little enthusiasm).
    So I continued to work without stencils for a bit when I realized it was taking TOO MUCH TIME and not all of my measurements were exactly the same as the time before. Half way through masking off the dent I decided to go with some stencils. My results; outstanding!(as far as an amateur goes).

But now to the big let down.
    For the duration of my ENTIRE Fett I've been sticking with one type of paint. Montana Gold spray cans. And they have done me very well up until now.
    I simply couldn't match the color for the dome and the cheeks. I went through every color swatch I could to get the right color, or atleast something close to what I needed. The results; A very frustrating moment when I lay the first layer of green. ARGH!!!
    I know there are a few things I can do to tone down the shades a bit, but I'm scared that I'll never get the color I really want.

HELP!
    Topic now open for discussion.

(it really hurts when you spend almost 2 weeks working on something only to look at it and realize you hate it)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0916-jpg   img_0917-jpg   img_0918-jpg  

img_0920-jpg   img_0923-jpg   img_0924-jpg  

img_0925-jpg   img_0919-jpg  

From
    killinois

...And a quick side-by-side comparison with my first helmet paint job from last year. DP 97' Vs. Sgt Fang MSH

What a difference a year can make!!!!
    Thanks TDH!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0926-jpg   img_0927-jpg   img_0928-jpg  

img_0929-jpg  

From
    Anchorage, AK

Very nice!

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

I have to say that the detail is awesome, but the colours look off, don't you think?

From
    killinois

GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    I have to say that the detail is awesome, but the colours look off, don't you think?

Yes, the colors are WAY off and that's the dilemma. Short of re-painting the whole thing, do you have any suggestions?