Quite a few new faces around here, more that I don't recognize than I do! It's good to see the old boards are alive and well.
I started building my SE Fett in 2006. After two years of work and nearing the goalpost (well, in distant view), I found myself unable to dedicate the sort of time and money these things take. I cleaned my brushes, boxed my paints, and moved on to a new and mostly-propless chapter in my life.
So it goes, right? But despite all that time, I haven't been able to talk myself into getting rid of my bucket - a vacformed kit bought from bradleyfett in 2007. Partly because it does a great job of filtering out star trek people when I bust it out at holiday parties, but mostly because I never put in the finishing touches.
After all, it was costuming that taught me about the single-minded pursuit of perfection: not for money, not for the spotlight, for no other reason than because it's what you've chosen to do. What would it say about me if I let a goal like that slip away?
So with no more long-winded history lessons, I'll get down to business. My plan here is to detail my build of an arduino-run RF servo, triggered by remote control. I tried this once before way back when, but electronics has come quite a long way since then. I'll try to pare down the control hardware to just a bare atmega chip and RF reciever and package it up nice and neat. As far as I can tell from my (super limited) research, this should be the first of its kind. If anybody has done or seen a similar project, give a holler! I can always use more info.
Once again, it's great to see that the boards are still the tight community that makes the prop world such a great one. Here's to new beginnings!