I decided to workout a paintjob of the prepro 1 helmet. As SuperJedi did the eyes version I thought it would be cool to go the ears version!
I donīt know if this lid has been done in layered technique before, if not ... here it is:
Step: 1 - Silver [Humbrol No. 11]
The base silver is on and masked, ready for the dark grey to be airbrushed on.
Step: 2 - Dark Grey [Humbrol No. 32]
Dark grey is on this bad boy. I studied all the different prepro1 shots to get all the scratches right. Especially the back of the helmet is almost nowhere to be seen correct. Thanks to SuperJedi for his interpretation of the prepro1 eyes version ... I looked at your helmet several times how you did the back dome.
Step: 3 - Vintage Mandibles - Purple [Humbrol No. 73 + 104]
Sorry for the bad lighting on step 3, but it was late and daylight is much better. Next pictures in daylight again.
Step: 4 & 5 - Mandibles - Red [Humbrol No. 60, mixed with 73 and 82] & Dome + lower cheeks - light grey blue [RLM 78 + misting of Humbrol No. 144 & 87]
First I mixed a brighter red than the usual ESB red, because if you have a close look to the reference pics of this helmet you can see it is not identical. On some pictures it almost looks orange, but thatīs just the lighting. The pictures with dimmed light show it is a bright red.
The color for dome and lower cheeks is much more difficult to achieve. As SuperJedi has already posted he used the RLM 78 and misted it with another blue. I did a similar way, I first used a complete layer of RLM 78 because this color is really the best for the base color. I than misted it all by using Humbrol 144 (a grey blue) with lots of thinner so I can airbrush it like fog. I went over it all with several layers and darkened the RLM 78 down. Now I used Humbrol 87 (a light blue, similar to RLM 78 but even not the same :-)) and went over all again. Some areas are darkened more then others, so I went over it just like the reference pics showed me trying to get as near as possible. The areas where the "old" eyes have previously been and the spot above the arrows are marked with that misting too combined with a soft rubbing with sandpaper on the wet color. You can already see it.
The dome, especially the eyes area, needs some more additional work with color and scratching later, but you get the idea. :-)
Step: 6, 7 & 8 - Back - Blue and Green, right ear - Blue & Dome - Remains of old eyes, ears on top
I have been working on this helmet whenever there was some spare time ... and so I am able to present some progress shots of my prepro 1 helmet.
The backpanels are painted (please forgive the bad lighting in those pictures - the blue looks like purple on the back - itīs the yellowish light of my room lamp ... I will make soem new shots tomorrow in daylight!). The keyslots arenīt painted yet.
The ears are connected and the right one painted with the same blue as the back panels. The ear cap on the r/h isnīt on yet, I need to insert the magnets first.
I also put on the remains of the old "eyes". I first painted them on, then took whirewool to remove it shade by shade until a low amount of colour and contours were left. Then I misted the "eyes" areas with dark blue/grey/black color and rubbed over it with the whirewool again as long as the paint was still wet. This resulted in the look as if someone has really removed the eyes, just as the original helmet was.
After that I painted the "ears" above the remains.
I took some detail pictures and a shot of the backpanels with flash to try to get the correct color shown:
I would say itīs ready now:
The killstripes are on, the creme/sand color on the keyslots is put on, the stalk/rangefinder is ready and the visor is in. The outer earcap with magnets is ready now too.
Maybe some slight weathering on the stalk/RF is still to be done.
Some vertikal shots too:
Hope you like my interpretation of the prepro 1 helmet (ears version) as a follow up on SuperJediīs prepro 1 (eyes version).
@fettpride: Chris, your helmets are a pleasure to work on! Fantastic work, clean and best: No more keyslots to be cut!