Keeping your Boba shiny!

From
    Omaha, NE

Keeping your Boba shiny!

The title is kind of an oxy moron isn't it?

This is kind of a general weathering/battle damage question, but it's in reference to my helmet so I thought I'd post it here.

The helmet I painted is here:
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=21536

I did it layered and the weathering was done with a small spray can of Grimy Black from Testors. Obviously, it's a little too dark. The Boba Fett costume shouldn't shine of course, but I just don't like that the silver undercoat ended up looking like a dull gray when I was finished. I realize I went a bit too heavy on the weathering, but if I had done less, the overall colors of the helmet would not have been to my liking. As I prepare to paint another RotJ bucket using an airbrush, I thought I'd ask.

What do you guys do to ensure the underlying silver isn't darkened to gray once your weathering is done?

(I know many of you do washes, but I was never really comfortable with that whole thing.)

-I've considered misting the bucket with the grimy black in places BEFORE I remove the masking fluid, thus ensuring I have metal-looking color showing through while the overall color still looks dark enough.

-The other option I've thought about is doing the layered, removing the masking fluid, then using a weathering technique primarily of Micromark weathering pastels. Which would allow me much more control of the weathering.

I need your thoughts!
    Thanks!

Re: Keeping your Boba shiny!

mixmastermace said: View Post
    -I've considered misting the bucket with the grimy black in places BEFORE I remove the masking fluid, thus ensuring I have metal-looking color showing through while the overall color still looks dark enough.

that's what i do. well, i do a little of both...

i do a bit of weathering before the peel and a bit after. i don't want ALL of the silver being shiny and new... its not like he JUST scratched off that much paint!

but that gives a bit of balance to it in my opinion.

From
    Omaha, NE

Excellent point, don't want the scratches to look too fresh. Good idea on some before and some after. didn't think of that.

From
    Central Upstate NY

I do the weathering all first, then come back and hit some silver areas with silver again. So some areas are fresh and some are not. Drybrushing is a great technique here for the larger areas. If you look at the reference pics, you will see that some silver areas are fresher looking than others.

Account Deactivated

tk7602 said: View Post
    that's what i do. well, i do a little of both...

i do a bit of weathering before the peel and a bit after. i don't want ALL of the silver being shiny and new... its not like he JUST scratched off that much paint!

but that gives a bit of balance to it in my opinion.
    Same here.