Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

  1. #51
    Satxer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    From
    Near Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    838

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    KaanE said: View Post
    I want that helmet You have made an incredible work on that bucket TF. If You don't like the helmet, you can send it to me (for 0$, I'm poor ).
    Naw, you're doing it wrong...you have to say something like this...

    "That helmet looks horrible, throw it out right now...in my garbage can here...gently place it in there, I will throw it out for ya."

    Anywho, that helmet looks awesome. A very fine piece of art you have there

  2. #52

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    Outstanding work

  3. #53
    Mojo-Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    From
    UK
    Posts
    4,783

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    It's alright...




















    (JK) Stunning!

  4. #54
    Sixxgunn13's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2002
    From
    Canada, on the planet of Hoth.
    Posts
    1,585

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    That is 101% AWESOME!!

  5. #55
    I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA
    Posts
    5,520

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    Great AOSW helmet!! I love how it looks with the grey before the green is layered on!

  6. #56

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    Thanks for the comments...I'd probably give this helmet about an 85% so far, looks like i need to start another and refine the technique more... basically the idea behind the paint up was just for me to nail the process, only problem is you learn something new every one you do, oh well...

  7. #57

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    terminal fettler said: View Post
    Thanks for the comments...I'd probably give this helmet about an 85% so far, looks like i need to start another and refine the technique more... basically the idea behind the paint up was just for me to nail the process, only problem is you learn something new every one you do, oh well...
    that's how i feel about most projects i do... everything is always practice for the next one!

    but seriously, if that's practice... i can't wait to see when you're happy!

  8. #58
    Account Deactivated
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    From
    Spain
    Posts
    1,712

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    Satxer said: View Post
    Naw, you're doing it wrong...you have to say something like this...

    "That helmet looks horrible, throw it out right now...in my garbage can here...gently place it in there, I will throw it out for ya."

    You're correct, so... "I hate that bucket TF , so send it to me and I will burn it for you!"



    Nice work TF

  9. #59
    I helped at SDCC '08 Bountyone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    San Diego. CA/ Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    1,176

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    Stunning!! looks awesome so far. can't wait to see the end result.

  10. #60
    I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA
    Posts
    5,520

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    How about I mail to a helmet to paint for me, just so you hone in on your skills

  11. #61
    TD2253's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    From
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    610

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    Awesome paint job TF!

  12. #62

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    Just applied the 4th layer to the back!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0029_9-jpg  

  13. #63
    superjedi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2003
    From
    Newport News, VA
    Posts
    4,259

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    Man, this is turning out killer! Terrific work, TF.

  14. #64
    Mojo-Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    From
    UK
    Posts
    4,783

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    Hey G.. you appear to have spilled mustard all over the back of your lid?? send it to me and I'll clean it up for ya! it could take a few years tho...

  15. #65

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    Thanks SJ, that R/H panel needed re- doing in areas, it's a nightmare! next time no free hand, i'll be working to pencil lines! I'm looking forward to scratching through the layers around the rim on the back to achieve the finer details...and toning down the 'cream' slightly...

  16. #66
    Account Deactivated
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,324

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    Hey TF..Question: Do you find that the paint, as the layers are applied, are getting thicker?(well DUH)..and the levels can be seen, is what mean? and it's not as flat as you would like?? ....I mean I can't tell either way from your pics, but I may try this method one day and since you're one of the first to document this method step by step just curious as to the over all look , "in person".

  17. #67
    LostSonOfSparda's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    From
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    482

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    Spideyfett said: View Post
    Hey TF..Question: Do you find that the paint, as the layers are applied, are getting thicker?(well DUH)..and the levels can be seen, is what mean? and it's not as flat as you would like?? ....I mean I can't tell either way from your pics, but I may try this method one day and since you're one of the first to document this method step by step just curious as to the over all look , "in person".
    Do you mean, is there a noticeable raise in the surface for each layer? Cause I was actually wondering that too.

    Great work btw, TF. I'll be using your progress as a reference for when I paint up my lid!

  18. #68
    Account Deactivated
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,324

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    LostSonOfSparda said: View Post
    Do you mean, is there a noticeable raise in the surface for each layer? Cause I was actually wondering that too.
    exactly... steel wool is a great technique to help flatten...but if you just break down the colors on the back alone, there will be a total of five layers, not including weathering...

    don't get me wrong TF and I both agree that this is how the real one was painted, but replicating it is a whole other ball game....that's why I'm glad he's doing it and not me....patience...and I have none.
    What's the old saying: "It's like watching paint dry"....to me that's the key to this technique.

    Great work TF...:thumbup

  19. #69
    LostSonOfSparda's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    From
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    482

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    Spideyfett said: View Post
    exactly... steel wool is a great technique to help flatten...but if you just break down the colors on the back alone, there will be a total of five layers, not including weathering...

    don't get me wrong TF and I both agree that this is how the real one was painted, but replicating it is a whole other ball game....that's why I'm glad he's doing it and not me....patience...and I have none.
    What's the old saying: "It's like watching paint dry"....to me that's the key to this technique.

    Great work TF...:thumbup
    Oh ok, so there isn't supposed to be a noticeable raise in the thickness of the layers, from where paint has been scraped or chipped off?

  20. #70

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    LostSonOfSparda said: View Post
    Oh ok, so there isn't supposed to be a noticeable raise in the thickness of the layers, from where paint has been scraped or chipped off?
    that's all a matter of opinion i think

    the screen helmet seems to be really subtle, thickness-wise. i usually do mine a bit heavier to emphasize the depth. i think it just looks cool up close, when someone is staring at it in person.

  21. #71
    Account Deactivated
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,324

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    LostSonOfSparda said: View Post
    Oh ok, so there isn't supposed to be a noticeable raise in the thickness of the layers, from where paint has been scraped or chipped off?
    That's the greatness of the ESB hero (IMO) that Joe Johnston painted.... he used this technique and yet acheived an almost flat finish.......that's the main reason I love the ESB over the ROTJ, not that they were painted different, I just feel the ESB hero is a peice of Art, and not a prop so much.

    On most of the ref photos there aren't any real "noticable" raised layers or "Chipped" areas...but the end result seems as though that's the look he was going for.

  22. #72

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    Spideyfett said: View Post
    I just feel the ESB hero is a peice of Art, and not a prop so much.


    i agree totally!

    and to get back on topic, this helmet is a prime example of the "piece of art" side of things

  23. #73
    LostSonOfSparda's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    From
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    482

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    tk7602 said: View Post
    that's all a matter of opinion i think

    the screen helmet seems to be really subtle, thickness-wise. i usually do mine a bit heavier to emphasize the depth. i think it just looks cool up close, when someone is staring at it in person.

    Ah, ok! So then I guess in my opinion, noticeable depth is cool looking, and will add a little something extra to the look of it, when viewed up close.

    Another question: If the last layer on top is clear gloss to seal it, will it take away from the noticeable depth?

    Thank you guys, Spidey and tk7602, for that, and especially TF for the amazing reference found in this thread.

  24. #74

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    Mojo-Fett said: View Post
    Hey G.. you appear to have spilled mustard all over the back of your lid?? send it to me and I'll clean it up for ya! it could take a few years tho...
    Too much sun and vodka Gav?
    Thats mayo not mustard!

  25. #75
    Account Deactivated
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,324

    Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

    LostSonOfSparda said: View Post
    Another question: If the last layer on top is clear gloss to seal it, will it take away from the noticeable depth?
    As TK7602 said, not to take away from TF's thread, but I'm not sure why you would put a "Gloss" on the finish? I think a standard coat of dullcoat should work... but I see your point though......
    My answer to that would be: "Terminal Fettler what are your plans for that???" ..cause I want to know too..

Similar Threads

  1. Just thought I'd drop by and say hi...............
    By Bountyone in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Apr 5, 2010, 3:16 AM
  2. Celebrating the safe return of Brit troops
    By Ronin677 in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Dec 7, 2007, 5:31 AM
  3. I need your thought on this helmet
    By Darth-Malevelus in forum Jango Fett Costume
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr 15, 2007, 6:40 PM
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •