Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

From
    Near Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Re: Just when you thought it was safe...another ESB paint up!

KaanE said: View Post
    I want that helmet You have made an incredible work on that bucket TF. If You don't like the helmet, you can send it to me (for 0$, I'm poor ).
    Naw, you're doing it wrong...you have to say something like this...

"That helmet looks horrible, throw it out right now...in my garbage can here...gently place it in there, I will throw it out for ya."

Anywho, that helmet looks awesome. A very fine piece of art you have there

Outstanding work

From
    UK

It's alright...

(JK) Stunning!

From
    Canada, on the planet of Hoth.

That is 101% AWESOME!!

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Great AOSW helmet!! I love how it looks with the grey before the green is layered on!

Thanks for the comments...I'd probably give this helmet about an 85% so far, looks like i need to start another and refine the technique more... basically the idea behind the paint up was just for me to nail the process, only problem is you learn something new every one you do, oh well...

terminal fettler said: View Post
    Thanks for the comments...I'd probably give this helmet about an 85% so far, looks like i need to start another and refine the technique more... basically the idea behind the paint up was just for me to nail the process, only problem is you learn something new every one you do, oh well...
    that's how i feel about most projects i do... everything is always practice for the next one!

but seriously, if that's practice... i can't wait to see when you're happy!

Account Deactivated
    From
    Spain

Satxer said: View Post
    Naw, you're doing it wrong...you have to say something like this...

"That helmet looks horrible, throw it out right now...in my garbage can here...gently place it in there, I will throw it out for ya."

You're correct, so... "I hate that bucket TF , so send it to me and I will burn it for you!"

Nice work TF

From
    San Diego. CA/ Hertfordshire, England

Stunning!! looks awesome so far. can't wait to see the end result.

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

How about I mail to a helmet to paint for me, just so you hone in on your skills

From
    San Diego, California

Awesome paint job TF!

Just applied the 4th layer to the back!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0029_9-jpg  

From
    Newport News, VA

Man, this is turning out killer! Terrific work, TF.

From
    UK

Hey G.. you appear to have spilled mustard all over the back of your lid?? send it to me and I'll clean it up for ya! it could take a few years tho...

Thanks SJ, that R/H panel needed re- doing in areas, it's a nightmare! next time no free hand, i'll be working to pencil lines! I'm looking forward to scratching through the layers around the rim on the back to achieve the finer details...and toning down the 'cream' slightly...

Account Deactivated

Hey TF..Question: Do you find that the paint, as the layers are applied, are getting thicker?(well DUH)..and the levels can be seen, is what mean? and it's not as flat as you would like?? ....I mean I can't tell either way from your pics, but I may try this method one day and since you're one of the first to document this method step by step just curious as to the over all look , "in person".

From
    Cary, NC

Spideyfett said: View Post
    Hey TF..Question: Do you find that the paint, as the layers are applied, are getting thicker?(well DUH)..and the levels can be seen, is what mean? and it's not as flat as you would like?? ....I mean I can't tell either way from your pics, but I may try this method one day and since you're one of the first to document this method step by step just curious as to the over all look , "in person".
    Do you mean, is there a noticeable raise in the surface for each layer? Cause I was actually wondering that too.

Great work btw, TF. I'll be using your progress as a reference for when I paint up my lid!

Account Deactivated

LostSonOfSparda said: View Post
    Do you mean, is there a noticeable raise in the surface for each layer? Cause I was actually wondering that too.
    exactly... steel wool is a great technique to help flatten...but if you just break down the colors on the back alone, there will be a total of five layers, not including weathering...

don't get me wrong TF and I both agree that this is how the real one was painted, but replicating it is a whole other ball game....that's why I'm glad he's doing it and not me....patience...and I have none.
    What's the old saying: "It's like watching paint dry"....to me that's the key to this technique.

Great work TF...:thumbup

From
    Cary, NC

exactly... steel wool is a great technique to help flatten...but if you just break down the colors on the back alone, there will be a total of five layers, not including weathering...

don't get me wrong TF and I both agree that this is how the real one was painted, but replicating it is a whole other ball game....that's why I'm glad he's doing it and not me....patience...and I have none.
    What's the old saying: "It's like watching paint dry"....to me that's the key to this technique.

Great work TF...:thumbup
    Oh ok, so there isn't supposed to be a noticeable raise in the thickness of the layers, from where paint has been scraped or chipped off?

Oh ok, so there isn't supposed to be a noticeable raise in the thickness of the layers, from where paint has been scraped or chipped off?
    that's all a matter of opinion i think

the screen helmet seems to be really subtle, thickness-wise. i usually do mine a bit heavier to emphasize the depth. i think it just looks cool up close, when someone is staring at it in person.

Account Deactivated

That's the greatness of the ESB hero (IMO) that Joe Johnston painted.... he used this technique and yet acheived an almost flat finish.......that's the main reason I love the ESB over the ROTJ, not that they were painted different, I just feel the ESB hero is a peice of Art, and not a prop so much.

On most of the ref photos there aren't any real "noticable" raised layers or "Chipped" areas...but the end result seems as though that's the look he was going for.

I just feel the ESB hero is a peice of Art, and not a prop so much.

i agree totally!

and to get back on topic, this helmet is a prime example of the "piece of art" side of things

From
    Cary, NC

tk7602 said: View Post
    that's all a matter of opinion i think

the screen helmet seems to be really subtle, thickness-wise. i usually do mine a bit heavier to emphasize the depth. i think it just looks cool up close, when someone is staring at it in person.

Ah, ok! So then I guess in my opinion, noticeable depth is cool looking, and will add a little something extra to the look of it, when viewed up close.

Another question: If the last layer on top is clear gloss to seal it, will it take away from the noticeable depth?

Thank you guys, Spidey and tk7602, for that, and especially TF for the amazing reference found in this thread.

Mojo-Fett said: View Post
    Hey G.. you appear to have spilled mustard all over the back of your lid?? send it to me and I'll clean it up for ya! it could take a few years tho...
    Too much sun and vodka Gav?
    Thats mayo not mustard!

Account Deactivated

Another question: If the last layer on top is clear gloss to seal it, will it take away from the noticeable depth?
    As TK7602 said, not to take away from TF's thread, but I'm not sure why you would put a "Gloss" on the finish? I think a standard coat of dullcoat should work... but I see your point though......
    My answer to that would be: "Terminal Fettler what are your plans for that???" ..cause I want to know too..