Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Feb 23, 2012, 8:30 PM - Jodo Kast Scratchbuild (Finished) #1

So I've been working on this project for two weeks now and just finished the cardboard portion of it so I thought I'd share it here too. I've been updating on Mercs so this will basically just be my copypasta from that thread. I used Rafal's templates which by the way worked GREAT, had very few issues. So let the posting commence:

I'm just basically gonna use this as a photodump for my scratchbuild to update others on my progress. This is a project for a college art class and is due in two weeks so it will be done rather quickly. I'll be using Rafal Fett's templates from The Dented Helmet. If you've just stumbled onto this thread and would like a better tutorial to make a helmet of your own check out these threads:
    Rafal's templates: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/r...project-39781/

Antman's second cardboard scratchbuild: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/a...h-build-24821/

Rafal Fett's build: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/m...-helmet-41611/

The Final Product:

The Build:

Last edited by BobaFiend; Mar 22, 2012 at 2:18 PM.
    Feb 23, 2012, 8:47 PM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #2

Assembled the dome. It fit together for about 90% of it. Happy enough with it, the dome turned out much better than my previous build. Going to bondo later but for the current assignment all I can use is cardboard and glue. Faceplate is next on the list.

Feb 23, 2012, 8:49 PM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #3

Faceplate is cut. My stupid hands hurt.

Feb 23, 2012, 8:50 PM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #4

Wet and bent the faceplate section and let it dry and then glued it in sections. Learned that tacky glue takes about an hour to dry when it is gluing a piece with tension involved -_- and I learned it the hard way. Cut the cheeks out of the underside of the helmet and cut the mandibles/ new cheeks. I've also decided that when this one is done I'm gonna paint it up in Jodo Kast's colors so that means out with the keyslots I made and in with the rectangular "buttons" on the back.

Feb 23, 2012, 8:51 PM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #5

Got the cheeks & mandibles installed today as well as the front arrows cut (which wasn't as scary as it seemed) It was also my first go at doing the hollow earcaps which turned out pretty crappily in my opinion. I don't really know how the pieces are supposed to go together and what to cut/ what to fold so I just guessed. I honestly hate the left ear right now but this thing is due Thurday so I just glued it on with a few dots of hot glue, figure I can try again and rip it off later.

Feb 23, 2012, 8:52 PM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #6

Finishing up the earcaps and RF tonight. Some are going well, others not so well, but I am learning what works and getting better. I'll prob re-do these after turning in the project.

The Good

The Bad

and The Ugly

Feb 23, 2012, 8:53 PM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #7

Welcome to my hell

Feb 23, 2012, 8:53 PM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #8

Almost 5am, getting there. Just one ear to go. Figured out what I'm doing though and the earcaps are coming out much better.

My pride and joy

Feb 23, 2012, 8:55 PM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #9

And..... HE FINISHES IN TIME! *play vid as you scroll through photos to feel like I do right now*

Street Fighter II - Guile Theme Original Theme - YouTube

10. Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Feb 23, 2012, 9:01 PM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #10

wow great job! this is really an amazing project
    Feb 23, 2012, 10:27 PM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #11

that's one sweet lookin bucket! Keep it up.
    Feb 24, 2012, 1:59 AM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #12

Thanks guys, I appreciate it

Boba keyslots "uninstalled" lol

Feb 24, 2012, 2:18 AM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #13

Awesome job on your helmet! I know the ears are a bit hard to assemble, but if you use thin (under 1mm thick) cardboard and do some inner support, they came out really well.
    Feb 24, 2012, 2:45 AM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #14

I was wondering how you managed. The plans don't account for size of material so I tried cutting some sides short like you did in your build but it didn't work out for me. What I ended up doing is cutting every abutting edge on a diagonal so the corners met where they were supposed to. It took forever but it came out well and they were surprisingly strong. I'm going to re-do the inner RF housing and left ear that way.
    Feb 25, 2012, 9:35 PM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #15

Good job! I say you probably have the best project in your art class, if only because of your theme!

Definately use thinner cardboard for your more "finer" details. You can even use putty or filler for your diagonals/curves after stacking up your straight edges to the thickness they need to be, and then sanding it down. There are ways to get around little things if they give you trouble.
  16. Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Feb 26, 2012, 12:03 AM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #16

very impressive work!
    Feb 26, 2012, 1:39 AM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #17

Quote Cyris said: View Post
    Definately use thinner cardboard for your more "finer" details. You can even use putty or filler for your diagonals/curves after stacking up your straight edges to the thickness they need to be, and then sanding it down.
    Yeah, that's the way I went for my last scratchbuild with the Wizard of Flight templates but it was very tedious. Now that I've got the hang of it I think I like these ears better but we'll see how the final project goes.
    Feb 26, 2012, 11:00 AM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #18

Yep, been there. But I will add that if you use something like a small, rectangular block of wood to wrap your sandpaper around, it GREATLY helps in getting those clean surfaces and saves you all those frustrating hours in trying to "fix" the uneven areas. You can even use it on the curves to help clean up your RF housing.

Good luck on your next build!
    Feb 27, 2012, 11:29 PM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #19

Here's where the helmet is currently. The dome has had four rounds of bondo-ing and sanding and is pretty near completion. I tried the best I could when I made it but damned if that cardboard dome wasn't uneven as hell. I had huge sagging under the areas without a supportive under-structure but I think I've evened it out pretty well. The cheeks have just had their first application of bondo and been sanded down. I plan on making the buttons for the back tonight and possibly the ears that went poorly the first time (left and the inner RF stalk housing).

Feb 27, 2012, 11:35 PM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #20

How did you apply the bondo to the card without it bending as you sanded?
    Feb 27, 2012, 11:44 PM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #21

There is an under-structure made of intersecting cardboard that the dome is glued to. This allows it to be supported on the horizontal circular dome piece that the face is glued around and makes it quite strong.

Feb 27, 2012, 11:47 PM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #22

I see, thanks for the tip- I'll use that when building my scratch helmet. I now know why it failed ha ha
    Feb 28, 2012, 2:20 AM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #23

Nice and smooth so far! You've done a great job and I can't wait to see the next updates!
    Mar 7, 2012, 3:25 AM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #24

Resined the whole bucket inside and out, sanded it down, applied a layer of filler primer, wetsanded. Here's where I am. I can see the spots I need to fix now, mostly the cheeks.

Same deal with the earcaps. Resined and primed, they look pretty good, better than I expected.

Mar 9, 2012, 5:49 AM - Re: Cardboard Jodo Kast Bucket Scratchbuild #25

Just had another night get away from me sanding this thing. Got the cheeks pretty near done. There's some spots that I sanded too much that are peeking through but I tried to fill them best I could. Also installed my custom built keyslot buttons. So ready to get some paint on this puppy so I can look and hunt better than that old fossil named Fett.