Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

JB Project/ FPH Helmet

Re: JB Project/ FPH Helmet

Oh man ... the excitement is building

There is "something" about that 1st pic bro ... the angle, something ... I dunno .. but it's a striking resemblance to the real helmet I'll see if I can dig up the one I'm talking about - unless someone beats me to it Oh my ....

Looking superb so far my brother ... I can't wait to see this progress. Whuddu I need to do to keep a fire lit under your booty to keep plugin on this

FP

From
    Northern Darkness Garrison

uhh... wow!

Now, please excuse me....

... I need to go wash my pants.

Account Deactivated

fettpride said: View Post
    Oh man ... the excitement is building

There is "something" about that 1st pic bro ... the angle, something ... I dunno .. but it's a striking resemblance to the real helmet I'll see if I can dig up the one I'm talking about - unless someone beats me to it Oh my ....
    FP
    You mean this one??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jbhelmetcompare-jpg  

From
    Ft. Worth, TX

now that is a great comparison pic!!!!!

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

WOW THATS NICE!!!! That is gonna be one slick bucket!!!! Keep the pics rollin!!
    D

From
    Newport News, VA

Woo hoo!! That's what I'm talkin' about. Looks great!

From
    Southern, Utah

Kandosii'la ner vod!

From
    Hartselle,Alabama

Does anyone know if Mr.Bulloch is a member on this site?

WOW! Yah, that'll work !!! I suppose that IS the one I was thinking about 8)

It looks like the FPH wasn't tilted back quite as far in your pic, which affected the green cheek areas a bit, BUT since you weren't even trying for that perspective for a comp, it's bordering CREEPY Great Job man !

FP

Not only is this an awesome project, but the fantastic paiting progress pics are just what I need to guide me through my own paint job. Fantastic!! (did I already say that?)

My thoughts exactly, Alex I feel your pain bro I started my FPH by spraying it silver then remembering I was going topical so i had to start again, Ive just got my base colours down and am starting to detail the cheeks, mine however is not even a tenth as pretty as yours, YOU the man :thumbup

I've been seeing a lot of "topical is better" and am wondering if this is the general concensus. I wanted to paint mine from the inside out, as it were, but since I've been seeing a lot of topical supporters I'm starting to wonder if I should change my mind. If so, what are the main reasons for this?

From
    Massachusetts

There's no definite option that is better. It's a matter of personal preference. Topical allows you a bit more control with how exact you are with your scratches but layered gives it more of a realistic damage look. The real helmet had both at the same time so it's really up to you.

Account Deactivated

webchief said: View Post
    There's no definite option that is better. It's a matter of personal preference. Topical allows you a bit more control with how exact you are with your scratches but layered gives it more of a realistic damage look. The real helmet had both at the same time so it's really up to you.
    exactly....
    I used to be a "strictly Layered guy"...but when you end up seeing Topical results come out the same, or even better than layered...that's one of the reasons we changed for this project.
    Last edited by Spideyfett; Jan 23, 2008 at 10:08 PM.

Same for me, I was so impressed with Superjedi's FPH which was done using the topical method, except the back I think? I thought I'd give it a try myself, so far so good, really must get some pics up!

From
    Newport News, VA

Gypsyboy said: View Post
    I've been seeing a lot of "topical is better" and am wondering if this is the general concensus. I wanted to paint mine from the inside out, as it were, but since I've been seeing a lot of topical supporters I'm starting to wonder if I should change my mind. If so, what are the main reasons for this?
    I think the biggest reasons I like the tropical method is because you can just hang out on the beach in the warm sunshine, sipping a pina colada while. . . oh. . . topical--
    Nevermind.

Psssssst .... <he says softly, as he gestures with his finger for you to come a little closer ... >

I'VE ALWAYS BEEN A TOPICAL GUY - I TRIED TO TELL YA BRO !!!! Glad you finally came around

FP

From
    Ft. Worth, TX

YES..I have been telling him the same thing....glad he finally came around to our thinking!!!

fettpride said: View Post
    Psssssst .... <he says softly, as he gestures with his finger for you to come a little closer ... >

I'VE ALWAYS BEEN A TOPICAL GUY - I TRIED TO TELL YA BRO !!!! Glad you finally came around

FP

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

Great progress, and great idea. Way to go Spideyfett and friends!

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

Think I'll chime in here real quick on the topical vs layered topic.

Yes, we know that the real screen used helmet had both tchinques. However, from my recent research, I am under the impression that the real deal was mostly topical. SO...IMO it comes down to what you are going to be doing with your bucket & how accurate do you wanna be.

Topical is great, BUT...In my experience, a layered job looks way more realistic in person if you are close up & oogling over a persons costume!!! (remeber, when the original was painted it was intened for screen use) On screen or in pics, a topical job looks killer, and if you are a master painer like Spidey, DM, or FP, then you can match the original scratch for scratch. BUT, for many of us, (myself included,) its tough to make a layered job look realistic looking when viewed in person, Many topical jobs I've seen have a dabbed on look. (No offence meant guys...I'm pretty shure the real one looks like that in person too!! )

So really, something everybody should consider when painting their new buckets, is how are you gonna use it???? If you are an active 501st'er & have tons of people getting in your face for pics etc, you may wanna lean towards layered for realisms sake. If you are a an accuracy freak & wanna get as close to orignal as possible, you might wanna lean more towards topical. Either way is fine IMO. I really haven't decided which way I'll do my next bucket. In a perfect world, it would be nice to have two helmets...one really accurate topical for the display, and one real looking layered for troopin. but that aint gonna hapen for me.

Sorry to veer away from the thread topic Spidey. Again, superb looking bucket!!!!!
    D
    Last edited by Jango's kid; Jan 8, 2008 at 1:08 AM.

From
    Massachusetts

I'm of the club that you do what you're comfortable with and in the end as long as you're happy with the results than that's all that matters. With me, when I painted my MSH2 I didn't have the ability to do the layered... people weren't making stencils for other people to use and it was a lot more work to do. I chose the topical method. However, when I got my FP2 armor I was able to use stencils (which helped a ton) and painted the armor layered. In the end I was happy with the results, I've got tons of compliments and had a great time.

It's all up to your individual choice. There is no right or wrong way to do it.

Account Deactivated

..Both well said Webchief and Jango's Kid..

Everything until now has been topical on this helmet...
    the back does have a layered step that I always use regardless if I do ALL topical or ALL layered.......

• used masking fluid and added the dark bluish green color on the back...
    • also had time to start painting the ears...yes, ALL paint, no decals...even the white part. Now that was tricky...
    • And well I took this pic for kicks..8)....thought it looked cool.
    • Thanks for the great feedback, more updates coming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails backtan-jpg   leftearjb-jpg   rightearclean-jpg  

Last edited by Spideyfett; Oct 1, 2008 at 9:48 PM.

Account Deactivated
    From
    Spain

WOW Spidey! Incredible, seriously. All HAND PAINTED, topical, FPH, ... Something more?
    Ah, yeah! ALUMINIUM EARS!!!

Ive said it before I'll say it again YOU the man!!! Great work Alex and those ears look amazing!!

From
    St. Louis, Missouri

Man it is SO hard to type with drool ALL over my keyboard!!!!

Beautiful job FP and Spidey!!!

Geo