Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP

From
    Kent , UK

Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP

Andy , if this is you practicing you haven't got long till you get your degree , excellent job

From
    England

Small updates on the rangefinder ear, not been able to work on this as I had hoped. In the words of Sandy Denny: Who knows where the time goes.

Some hardcore masking this time, double bagging, Billy two sheds/Charlie big potatoes with the tape and again used the fluid for the curve as it worked out so much better for me last time.

Silver goes down.

Masking the ear piece

and the lower section

Did get grey 79 down but bad light stopped play. Will mask that off when time allows and put the 94 over it, then move on to some of the details.

Just a few more wickets needed for this ear.

See ya.

Andy

From
    England

Er, so I was looking an old thread I'd started ages ago a week or so back and saw this, my own Helmet WIP thread; then I saw that the last update was quite some time ago!!!! I haven't worked on this in months and when i found my lid it was as I'd left it with the most recent work being the completed rangefinder ear. I honestly hadn't realised I'd left it so long. Anyway I managed to get most of the basics done on the cheeks and dome but now I can't remember which old thread I was looking for or why

Live the dream.

Andy

From
    Coalisland

I had forgot about this...lol..looks good buddy..

From
    England

DanzoFett said: View Post
    I had forgot about this...lol..looks good buddy..
    So, it would seem, had I.

From
    Galati, Romania

Your progress is amazing! Keep up the great work!

From
    England

RafalFett said: View Post
    Your progress is amazing! Keep up the great work!

Thanks Raf!

Stripes:

Andy

From
    England

Hmm, so shamed into action by DVH scratchbuild paintup thread where he achieved more in one month thad did I in a whole year!

Onto the red sections for want of a better expression; I had thought that it was all downhill from here and that the end was in sight but nothing could be further from the truth. In fact now i've done some work on them I'd say that these sections are at least as detailed, if not more, than the tricky back panels and they cover a deceptively large area; actually far more space than those back panels! I was hoping to have them fully done by now but their fiendish complexity coupled with my general rate of progress being slower than that of one legged tortoise in a snow drift have only laboured to produce these progress shots............................. and there's still a mountain of weathering and fine work to be done!

Dream.

Andy

Wow, that is really amazing work. One of the best I've seen in my time lurking the boards here.

By the way,what type of masking fluid is that and where did you purchase it?

From
    Rockford, IL

Great job. I can't believe you let this sit for months. Keep up the great work,

From
    England

Thanks chaps. My work is hindered by several factors although to be fair a large streak of the bone idle does come into play.

Cat, the masking fluid is humbrol maskol. Pretty cheap and easy to get hold of.

Have got thhe purple down and should dry tonight so maybe in a position to show these sections off soon but still a tonne of weathering a d detail to add.

Andy

From
    England

Managed to get most of the work on the red bits done. Still some touching up to do but they are most of the way there. Apologies for the flash photography but now the nights have drawn in I won't be in a position to take some daylight shots for a few days. The flash makes the purple seem a lot darker than it is but you get the idea. The masking fluid has just come up so I have probably missed some spots (and some tape residue) and will find some more sections to be uncovered with the daylight; I have found that I'm often discovering old bits of fluid that I hadn't seen. These sections were seriously time consuming and I had real difficulty with them but they are the Helmet painting equivalent of the Dude's rug!

Dream on.

Andy

EDIT UPDATE 14/11/2013. No extra work done (not even buffed with steel wool) but managed to get a few shots off with the very last death of the daylight, which is still better than anything I'm gonna show with the falsh on at night. Hopefully be some meaningful details and updates soon.

Last edited by intwenothor; Nov 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM.

Another question, are you using enamels or acrylics?

From
    England

Humbrol enamels and Terminal Fettlers paint list.

haha didnt mean to shame you into action, but im glad i did...this looks great bud!

From
    Perth, Western Australia

First time helmet - surely you jest? Looking superb brother!

From
    Ohio

That's one hell of a first paint job.Awsome work.

Gorgeous.

From
    Marietta, Ga

Simply great work happening here. You should be very proud!

From
    England

Thanks for kind words brothers. Need to do some weathering and looking for some tips. Might have a daylight opportunity tomorrow. Grateful for help.

Got a colour for the lower cheeks (23 or 28 - can't remember).
    What do people use for the dent and scorch? I don't just want to wade in with black.
    Any tips for the lighter green weathering around the stripes?
    Any weathering tips for the back panels? They look pretty grubby in the efx video.

Thanks for your help precious.

Dream it.

Andy.

Paint job looks great. Try grey 32 to add weathering/ shading on the back panels and lower cheeks also for the dent scorch mark. The lighter green below the kill stripes I use white thinned down and applied topically with a brush as the ref pics...

From
    Inland Empire, CA

Great work. I've been following this thread.

I'm loving your back panels......for quite obvious reasons....!

Really nice paint job!

From
    England

No update for a long time but managed to get a few shots of some weathering in the daylight. There is still more to do but largely of topical nature and I'm starting to feel that this is nearly there now.

I went pretty light with the cheek and back panel weathering using a few passes of grey 27 as I feel it achieves a better look with it being lighter than heavier but that's just my preference although in these pics they appear somewhat lighter than they are. The dome scorch I used the same grey 27 for a couple of light runs in the general area and then used a few passes of a darker colour (might have been grey 79 - I forget) to bring in some of the daker areas rather than lay on more of the same colour. I used the same darker colour for the spot over the rangefinder ear. The areas around the stripes was done with the main green (78 I think) that was toned down with a bit of matt white (34).

I probably gave the most thought to the two white smudges. For some strange reason I found doing them the most fun. I simply put some paint of my little finger and smudged it on there (so, finger painting basically) and then touched the smudges up a bit with a fine brush; I felt they had probably appeared by just such careless means in the first place.

Then I gave it a gentle buff with the wool and popped it in the sink with some fairy and gave him a wash.

Visor placement is temporary for these shots but it just looks naked without one there.

Best

Andy

From
    Coalisland

Andy buddy it's excellent......