Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Mar 16, 2013, 5:56 PM - intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #1

These back panels are pretty much done. Sorry about the lighting, the haolgen floodlamp spot isn't as good as daylight.

Be gentle. It's my first time.

Andy.

*****Edit with some daylight********

Last edited by intwenothor; Mar 17, 2013 at 3:12 AM.
  2. Member Since
    Dec 2012
    Mar 16, 2013, 6:20 PM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #2

They look great to me
    Mar 16, 2013, 6:50 PM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #3

Nice job man. What lid is that? Did you use Rafalfett's templates?
    Mar 16, 2013, 7:09 PM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #4

I did use Raf's excellent templates yes - thanks Raf (and the excellent gallery of course).

It's an Asok CC.

I should point out that the floodlight makes the colours a lot warmer than they actually are, particularly the concrete, which in these shots takes on a very yellowish hue but in reality is actually quite dull and boring. The main blue green too. In reality all the colours are more washed out.

Andy
    Last edited by intwenothor; Mar 17, 2013 at 3:14 AM.
    Mar 16, 2013, 7:19 PM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #5

Looking good.....dude
    Mar 16, 2013, 8:02 PM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #6

I think it looks killer! I hope mine turns out half as good. I'm studying now for when my lids arrive. Great job
    Mar 16, 2013, 8:08 PM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #7

With work like that, you may have people ask for commissions.
    Mar 16, 2013, 8:25 PM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #8

You're all very kind, thank-you.

I'd never even picked up an airbrush before November and this is my first go so lots of room for improvement. It won't be my last attempt. I really fancy a BM with the new dent when they're available and I'm extremely interested in FP saying he might do a sort of ESB GMH. Trouble is that I get really easily distracted. I'd done the first few layers of the panels before caught up in scope or barrel mount research so I might do loads in a few days and then nothing for months. Even allowing for long periods of inactivity these panels were very time consuming!

I found pretty much all the advice I needed through this site. Raf's templates are invaluable but the WIP threads of many a member has informed me. It really is a super site.

I also watched this guys videos a few times (Uses Raf's templates too):

How to paint a Boba Fett helmet - YouTube

The man's a prince. Being able to actually see him put the paint down was a big motivating factor.

Andy
    Mar 17, 2013, 9:56 AM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #9

Thanks for the kind words!

Those back panels are KILLER! I really love the daylight images, the halogen light images are ugly and if I were you, I never use them again. Keep up the great work!
    Mar 17, 2013, 2:33 PM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #10

Quote RafalFett said: View Post
    Thanks for the kind words!

Those back panels are KILLER! I really love the daylight images, the halogen light images are ugly and if I were you, I never use them again. Keep up the great work!
    Thanks Raf, that means a lot coming from you. I bought the lamps so I could continue to work during the winter when real daylight was extremely limited. They're good for working by at night - especially for the masking out. So happy to get these done yesterday that I started the left ear today, all masked out and got the grey down already (not in this picture, that's just the base coat).

This ear should be easier compared to those back panels - I actually thought they'd be the easiest place to start!

Andy

Last edited by intwenothor; Mar 17, 2013 at 2:48 PM.
    Mar 18, 2013, 1:17 AM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #11

Lovely work on those back panels brother, stellar work! If the rest of the lid continues at this quality, you will have one fine looking helmet my friend! One thing that might interest you - in the masking off with tape stage, I tend to cut out a rectangle out of a shopping bag etc, and cover up my back panels when done. Simply just to give them an extra layer of protection, but also because you can then tape other stuff to the plastic, and not directly onto your paint work. probably just over pedantic from me, but I'd just hate to see any of those awesome back panels accidentally affected. Look forward to the next update! Peace
  12. Member Since
    Dec 2012
    Mar 18, 2013, 11:03 PM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #12

This is fantastic! Beautiful Work!
    Mar 20, 2013, 4:58 AM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #13

First timer!? You Lie!

Looks great! Love welshwarrior's How to videos. Learned a lot off of them and I see it did you well too
    Mar 20, 2013, 5:33 PM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #14

Fantastic paintwork so far , this lid is going to turn out sharp !!
    Mar 23, 2013, 10:16 AM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #15

Thanks guys, there's been a hiatus due to, you guessed it, work. Unfortunately real life has interrupted me but I appreciate your kind words.

Jayvee, I'll consider the bags as I don't want any bleed or overspray. Sleepalot, I never lie.
    Mar 23, 2013, 10:31 AM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #16

Take your time buddy. You don't stress art.
    Mar 23, 2013, 6:53 PM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #17

Quote locitus said: View Post
    Take your time buddy. You don't stress art.
    Yeah I don't wanna upset Art, he's the board owner. Boom boom, eh? Eh? Eh? Anyone? Eh? Yeah? Anyone? Anyone?

Ah...........
    Mar 23, 2013, 6:55 PM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #18

Crash...n...burn...lol
    Mar 23, 2013, 11:56 PM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #19

Might have left that one too open for your fella's
    Mar 27, 2013, 4:02 PM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #20

Little update: Had real trouble with the red on this section. I had started with the grey mix as the first layer but just couldn't get the red to look sharp enough over the top of it so I sanded down and started again and this time I put the red down first and it looked much sharper so I think it'll have been worth it in the end. Apologies for the flood lamp again but by the time I had finished re masking it was dark outside. second time around I also opted to mask the curve with the fluid rather than the tape as the edge wasn't too tidy last time and not knowing how much fluid I'd need when I started I bought quite a lot of it, like really far too much of it - Div.

I know you hate this light Raf and I know myself it ain't great but it's either this or no progress pictures until Summer happens by as I'm a shift worker and have to work whenever I can.

Live dream

Andy

21. Member Since
    Dec 2012
    Mar 28, 2013, 5:37 AM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #21

looking sweet Andy, im sure Raf would agree flood light pictures are better than no pictures
    Mar 28, 2013, 8:32 AM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #22

Quote ICEmonkey said: View Post
    looking sweet Andy, im sure Raf would agree flood light pictures are better than no pictures

I have to work with what I have. I keep funny hours due to work. I was up early today to try to capitalise on what little light there was from the overcast morning. Still need some touch ups and some topical work but this ear is pretty much done.

Andy

Mar 28, 2013, 12:13 PM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #23

Quote ICEmonkey said: View Post
    I don't hate the flood light, just the way it distorts the colors.

Quote intwenothor said: View Post
    I have to work with what I have. I keep funny hours due to work. I was up early today to try to capitalise on what little light there was from the overcast morning. Still need some touch ups and some topical work but this ear is pretty much done.

Andy

Wow! It looks great! Keep up the awesome work!
  24. Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Mar 29, 2013, 7:09 AM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #24

very cool, your back pannels are ridiculous!!!!!
    Mar 29, 2013, 7:50 PM - Re: intwenothor ESB helmet painting WIP #25

Quote RafalFett said: View Post
    Wow! It looks great! Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks Raf, I use Terminal Fettler's awesome colour list but I actually had massive difficulties on this area.

I put down the grey first (grey 28+64) and then the red (60) and then the green (159+78) but when it was done it looked horrid. The grey went down fine but the red was a real pain. I mixed the paint thoroughly to make sure all the thick goop from the settling was gone but it's a very thin colour so I couldn't get it to look vibrant over the grey and had to use tons of it in many layers just to get it down at all. By the time I got the green over the top it looked awful; the green was washed out and far too olive. I wasn't happy so I had to start again.

I sanded it all back. I considered leaving it as I knew sanding it back would be quite annoying; even though it was wrong I was loathed to do it and see the work gone but decided it had to be done. This time I started with the red over the basecoat (147) and then the grey mix and then the green. This time with the green as well as the 159 and 78 I mixed a dash of green 76 as well. It looks much better than before although after I had posted this picture I've noticed an error on this ear but it one I can live with as I'm still feeling my way this time around and plan to do another one after I've had practice here (it's not the white splodge mid way down on the right section, that'll be a topical touch up).

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's kind encouragement. Thank-you.

Right, on to the other ear then.

Andy