Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Introduction... and a New Build

From
    Yorkshire UK

Introduction... and a New Build

Hi Folks;

I've been lurking on these boards for a while after finding my way here from the RPF. The Mrs always had a thing for The Fett, so I've been working my skills up to starting a bucket project of my own.

I'd like to thank Wizard of Flight for the fantastic templates; AntMan for the awesome step by step tutorial, and the rest of you for having such a great resource here.

So, whilst I'm waiting for the filler to dry, (and having a well deserved beer, lol) I thought I'd register and show you guys the progress so far.

img00366-20110401-1242-jpgimg00368-20110401-1348-jpgimg00370-20110402-1544-jpg

From
    bristol , tennessee

Re: Introduction... and a New Build

looking good so far brother, good luck!

From
    Corbin, Ky

Welcome aboard! Progress looks really good!

From
    Yorkshire UK

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement; I just hope that it comes out as good as many of the others I've seen posted on this board, :-) Although, I have to admit, this is addictive. I'm already thinking about what I'd do different... next time, lol

From
    Albuquerque

Looks like you're off to a great start. Even the rough shape of it looks really good...keep it up

From
    Yorkshire UK

Thanks again, :-) I've been at it again today; again following in AntMan's steps... Hard to believe that these have taken the best part of all day.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img00371-20110403-2219-jpg  

From
    Galati, Romania

You're doing an awsome job so far. Keep it up like this.
    I also made a helmet using WOF's templates with Antman's building tips. But now I'm working on my own build made with templates from scratch.

Respect!

From
    Yorkshire UK

You're making your own templates? I'd love to see how that is going.
    One thing I have noticed is that no matter what grade sandpaper I've used, it furs up the cardboard. I'm thinking of painting a thin coat of resin on the surface and letting it soak into the card after the pieces have been filled, sanded and shaped. Hopefully I can then sand to a smooth finish. I'll give it a go this evening after work.
    One again, thanks for the support. :-)

From
    Galati, Romania

Yes! You can find my build here Making the first Rafal Works helmet where you can find the other two threads for the project of making the templates and the finished templates.

Respect!

From
    Yorkshire UK

Thanks RF, Just been looking. Great job so far: I'm looking forward to the next installment.

From
    London, Hertfordshire

Hullo
    Always nice to see another UK'er join up. I must say your off to a great start, the basic shape of the helmet looks spot on, the ear pieces look great as well.

I love watching these scratch builds

Welsh

From
    Yorkshire UK

Thanks for the welcome WelshWarrior123. :-)

Just spent another couple of hours sanding... The resin I painted on them the other day didn't work so well. Either I used too little hardner, or it just didn't want to set properly, and ended up soft and tacky. I've cleaned it all off, repaired with P38, sanded again, and given them a coat of primer so I can see where any further imperfections are.

From
    Newton Abbot, Devon, UK

Cool another UK member, nice job there matey, i didn't have the guts to even think about trying a scratch build.

From
    UK

Welcome aboard bruv...
    Looks like your off to a great start there! keep up the good work.

From
    Yorkshire UK

thanks Mojo & Radar; I'm struggling, but stubborn enough to continue, :-)

From
    Yorkshire UK

Well, I've been sanding, filling, sanding, priming, filling sanding... all day long, but it's beginning to take shape.

img00374-20110408-1451-jpg

I've also put some fiberglass inside the dome and behind the cheek plates to help it keep it's shape during the sanding & filling.

From
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States

looking good yorkie...cant wait to see the finished product

From
    Yorkshire UK

I got a little further today; Rangefinder Stalk & wiring and the keyhole slot cut and fitted in the back.

The switch I decided to do a little differently, with a single point of contact, only switching the +V line.

The pictures should explain better.
    img00379-20110409-1503-jpg
    img00381-20110409-1711-jpg
    img00376-20110409-1502-jpg
    img00382-20110409-1712-jpg
    img00378-20110409-1503-jpg
    img00380-20110409-1504-jpg

From
    Galati, Romania

It's obvious that you have lot of patience and put passion in what you're doing. I like what you did so far.

Respect!

From
    Yorkshire UK

Thanks Raf; I like how it's coming together, but it's been a lot of work so far. I've switched from using decorating filler to car body filler for the added strength and smoothing when sanded; the down side is that when I'm filling small imperfections, I have to mix many small batches; it sets too quickly.

I'm still debating with myself whether to try painting some fiberglass resin on the exposed cardboard surface; something that I can sand and polish up to give a better texture for painting later. I may mix some and try it with a scrap piece of card first.

From
    Middlesbrough UK

Welcome mate. If u are picking up p38, u might want to consider upol? Almost the same stuff, but cheaper? Its in the same section in halfords.
    nice work.

From
    Yorkshire UK

Thanks for the tip Heatshock; I'll be calling into Halfords over the next couple of days, so I'll give it a try.

Today, I attempted the rangefinder.
    img00385-20110410-1741-jpgimg00383-20110410-1702-jpgimg00384-20110410-1725-jpg

The top LEDs already incorporate a flashing IC, and the green internal screen ones are standard 3mm LEDs, which helped to simplify the circuit. With the 2 circuits in parallel, I could get away with only a pair of driver resistors, one for each.

I still need to make the screen, and the rangefinder is going to need a lot of filling and cleaning up, but at least the lights flash. :-)

From
    Yorkshire UK

I managed to get a little further yesterday. I cut out the helmet arrows and then painted fiberglass resin over the exposed card around the rest of the helmet. The ides was for the resin to soak into the card, and allow me to sand it smooth to a nice finish without furring up the card.

After my last (failed) attempt at the same technique on the earpeices, I used extra hardner this time.

I'm happy to say it worked, although much sanding was required. The edges are much sharper.

img00389-20110412-0749-jpgimg00388-20110412-0747-jpg

I still need to so some more filling and sanding on the rangefinder and stalk, and I'll probably coat them with some resin too once they're good enough, but it's getting there.

Edit; As you can see, I didn't coat resin on the area to be cut out for the T-Visor... I thought there was little point, and may make the cutting out more difficult. Speaking of T-Visors; I also spent a couple of hours on google, trying to find a UK based supplier for the shade 5 Green faceshield; they all seem to be the wrong size; at 8" horizontal, with varying vertical sizes. I guess I'll have to keep looking.
    Last edited by yorkshiredad; Apr 12, 2011 at 2:17 AM.

From
    Yorkshire UK

Short update... a Shade 5 green Visor ordered and on its way, :-) and I happened to pass a model shop yesterday, and walked out with a small servo, so today I've been upgrading the rangefinder and helmet to accommodate it. I've also received a transmitter and receiver modules in the post today, so I'll be looking at incorporating them too. The eyepiece on the rangefinder I've cut out of clay, and sanded it to shape. I'm not sure whether to use it as it is, or to make a mould and cast it out of something stronger. The central glass I was just going to use some polymorph, which, being opaque, should diffuse the light from the green LEDs better.
    img00392-20110414-1225-jpgimg00393-20110414-1809-jpgimg00394-20110414-1915-jpg

I'm now out of primer, so I guess I'll be visiting Halfords again tomorrow.

From
    Yorkshire UK

img00396-20110415-1619-jpg

Yay, The visor has arrived, and I've managed to put the dent in, along with a load more sanding and filling... and a coat of silver paint. Tomorrow, I'll cut out the visor. :-)