Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Mar 19, 2005, 4:29 PM - I wanted to cry #1

Hey gang!
    My wife saw the effort I was putting into a DP97, and decided to treat me to an early birthday present, and buy me a fiberglass "Mystery Helmet" off ebay. Money order was sent, and the day the helmet arrived via UPS, the driver informs me that "The box looks banged up a bit. Want to check it out?" I opened the box, and it LOOKED alright, but after he left, and I pulled it out, not only was it shattered, but a rain of fiberglass chips came pouring out as well. I felt ill. I had really looked forward to having something better than a DP 97, only to get this. I contacted the seller, showed him the pics, and he is going to be sending me a replacement, and tossing in a resin rangefinder and stalk as well. WHEW! Anyways, here's the pics:

Tell me you wouldnt cry seeing this?
    Thankfully the seller is honorable! He told me the replacement would be sent out within the next week. Can't wait, but I am nervous as heck till it gets here, hopefully in ONE piece!!!
    Mar 19, 2005, 5:21 PM - Re: I wanted to cry #2

I'm getting a little teary-eyed, and it's not even my helmet. Sounds like you're dealing with an honorable seller, though. That makes a world of difference! Good luck!
  3. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Mar 19, 2005, 5:26 PM - Re: I wanted to cry #3

And UPS should pay you something too becasue that looks deliberate.

Lee
    Mar 19, 2005, 5:36 PM - Re: I wanted to cry #4

What a piece of crap! Looks paper thin. What Ebayer sold you that? Was it either amiadfilter or r.fett37? I would get my money back and buy a good helmet from someone who knows how to fiberglass like JD
    I've Honestly thrown helmets against the wall in fits if RAGE and caused less damage.
  5. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Mar 19, 2005, 5:58 PM - Re: I wanted to cry #5

What Marrow Sun said.

Lee
  6. Mar 19, 2005, 6:03 PM - Re: I wanted to cry #6

Quote MARROW SUN said:
    What a piece of crap! Looks paper thin. What Ebayer sold you that? Was it either amiadfilter or r.fett37? I would get my money back and buy a good helmet from someone who knows how to fiberglass like JD
    I've Honestly thrown helmets against the wall in fits if RAGE and caused less damage.
    Yeah, I agree!
    That Helmet's not All it's Cracked -Up to be.
    But seriously, Who did you get it from.
    I don't want to make the same mistake.
    Wayne
    Mar 19, 2005, 6:39 PM - Re: I wanted to cry #7

The most obvoius damage occured by mistreatment, but what I'm also noticing, is that there are telltale signs of major air pockets between the surface layer, and the fiberglass layer. The chips are broken away cleanly, and the fiberglass layer left behind is smooth in areas. If it were a nice tight, clean lamination, the only damage you would see, is the actual cracks.

My advice: If you want a mystry helmet, send a pm to M_S, and don't mess with the ebay recasters.
  8. Member Since
    Mar 2003
    Mar 19, 2005, 7:15 PM - Re: I wanted to cry #8

Ah! What a shame!

But don't blame the seller. Blame the sender.

I'd rather send a helmet packed in a perpetually running industrial paint mixter strapped to the back of lowland mountain gorillia during an earthquake than send it with UPS. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them.

Anyway, at least you get a rangefinder and stalk for your trouble...althought I'd strongly recommend to anyone that they get an aluminum stalk if they can find one.

Cheers!
    TJ
  9. Mar 19, 2005, 7:20 PM - Re: I wanted to cry #9

I think you got your helm from the same person I did. My 1st impression was that it felt fragile. As soon as my weather is better I am going to reinforce mine with some more cloth and resin. By the way, I've had nothing but bad luck with UPS. I will even go as far as to say I will pay extra to avoid using them.
    Mar 19, 2005, 7:30 PM - Re: I wanted to cry #10

Check out member bigkidbiggertoys on TDH for an aluminum stalk .Cheers

Mike
  11. Member Since
    Jan 2004
    Mar 19, 2005, 8:39 PM - Re: I wanted to cry #11

Oh NO!

I know how you feel about ups been their before.IM SO SORRY TO SEE THAT BRAKES MY HART.Hopefully the seller will keep his word.
    Mar 19, 2005, 8:45 PM - Re: I wanted to cry #12

Dosent UPS have some kind of insurance?
    Mar 19, 2005, 9:08 PM - Re: I wanted to cry #13

Call your local UPS and tell them you recieved a package that was handled roughly and the contents inside are broken. The shipping label will have the shipping code and imformation. Since you have already signed for it, it might be to late, if so its a lesson for the future to never accept a package that looks damaged without fully inspecting it.
    Mar 19, 2005, 9:31 PM - Re: I wanted to cry #14

Quote shortimer52 said:
    Dosent UPS have some kind of insurance?
    UPS is automatically insured for up to $100, you have to pay for anything higher.

That is too bad, it leat the seller is making right.

Lynn
    Mar 19, 2005, 9:43 PM - Re: I wanted to cry #15

Oh man. That sucks especially since it is something you were looking forward to getting. Well at least your able to get it replaced. Good luck.
  16. Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Mar 19, 2005, 10:37 PM - Re: I wanted to cry #16

*cries* man that sucks at least you got a good seller there
    Mar 20, 2005, 5:20 AM - Re: I wanted to cry #17

It was amiadfilter, Marrow. He wrote to me and told me the replacement he is sending is going to be fiberglass matt? Says it will look the same on the outside, but be smoother on the inside. I've been told by a friend that will be stronger, but I haven't a clue about the strength of fiberglass.
    Mar 20, 2005, 7:09 AM - Re: I wanted to cry #18

I feel for you, a while back when I got my first M_S 1 I was well into painting it when one of my kittens knocked it over, it split in both corners of the t - visor section, thankfully though it was quite an easy fix, I really hope the sender sorts you out with a new bucket asap!!!
    Mar 20, 2005, 7:11 AM - Re: I wanted to cry #19

I also agree with what JD said
    Mar 20, 2005, 7:24 AM - Re: I wanted to cry #20

I honestly feel for you. It hurts me to know a fella TDH'er gets crap like that.
    I do not wish that on anyone. I hope this is rectified as soon as possible!
    Post us pics of your new bucket so that you can carry on!
    Mar 20, 2005, 9:17 AM - Re: I wanted to cry #21

Quote judz dwedd said:
    The most obvoius damage occured by mistreatment, but what I'm also noticing, is that there are telltale signs of major air pockets between the surface layer, and the fiberglass layer.

What Dwedd said. I firsthand know what airpockets can do to a bucket! Unless you really know how to work with fiberglass it's tricky getting out every air pocket fast enough before the stuff kicks over.

I say get a JD bucket.
    Mar 20, 2005, 9:31 AM - Re: I wanted to cry #22

Just fill the air pockets with some Bondo and use some 2-part epoxy to re-attach the plates...you can have it fixed in no time. It looks quite nice, well, except for the gaping crush marks. I do agree there seems to be a "bubble" issue.

UPS also is terrible, they lost a clone-trooper helmet of mine 10 days ago...you are better off doing insured mail. They treat that stuff carefully.

And by the way, kidding about the bondo and epoxy...that bucket is dead.

Good luck!

John
  23. Mar 20, 2005, 10:49 AM - Re: I wanted to cry #23

Dont give up Hope White Commando(john). My body armor parts where lost for almost 2 weeks. I got the notice on my door the same day UPS tracking showed my stuff out for delivery to me. Then when I went to pick it up they couldn't find it. Almost 2 weeks later I got another tag and was finally able to pick it up. I am glad I got Sintra cuz in the condition the box was in if it had been fiberglass I'd be posting like Bullfett. UPS = Bad News(in my opinion).
    Mar 20, 2005, 11:55 AM - Re: I wanted to cry #24

Look what happened to my predator bio helmet when I shipped it, ouch!!! I think someone decided to play football with it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ouch.JPG 
Views:	485 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	1425  
    Mar 20, 2005, 1:08 PM - Re: I wanted to cry #25

Yup..

I won`t go near UPS....I always send something that important via FedEx, it costs more, but I know it`ll get there in one piece.
    And I echo what everyone else said.

Stick with a M_S or a JD.