I painted my helmet today!

I painted my helmet today!

Okay I paint my helmet today!! I'm really excited. I have pictures up on my photobucket at http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/stkinithard/. So now I have to do to is cosmetic!! You guys should go take a look, If anyone wants I can list the colors and products I used plus there's a picture of everything I used. Let me know what you guys think of the paint or how you would of done it. Criticisim is welcome, It'll help me out.

Oden Draconis

From
    Beaverton, Oregon

Re: I painted my helmet today!

Looks like a good start. I just got done painting my first helmet and it is not easy. I am by no means an expert, but the shade of green used on the dome looks to be a little light. Have you checked out AFFO$ paint list in the helmet section. He lists the colors for using spraypaints. I found it quite helpfull. I would like to see some updated pics with weathiring/topical damage. Have fun!

Re: I painted my helmet today!*Update*

Ok I threw some misted black on there got my kill stripes and the helmet is coming together pretty good I think, Thanks for the tip on the AFFO$'s colors it'll come in handy!! So I hope you guys like the new pictures of my helmet on http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/stkinithard/. I don't know how to post the pics on this page but feel free to look at my photobucket!

Oden Draconis

From
    North Carolina

Are you doing a ROTJ Fett? Just as an observation, the right ear well is bronze and the left is red. I'm no ROTJ expert, but I was under the impression they were both aluminium/silver in color with a bit of tan weathering. Also, the two back panels of the helmet, are those the same green as the dome?

Charlie

I'm not really sure I've seen so many differant pictures that I just decided to paint one bronze and after I posted those pics I painted the left ear the same as the dome and as for the back of the helmet it's the same color as the cheek, and you're right I totally messed that one up I'm gonna have to fix that! Thanks for pointing that out!! But I atleast like the way it looks. Thanks for the input though I appreciate it!

Oden Draconis
    Last edited by Oden Draconis; Feb 28, 2008 at 9:09 PM. Reason: left something out

From
    South Elgin, IL

great job so far sir. the only thing is, u have a jango bucket to start with. That means there's no DENT!! U should def make a dent with a heat gun, or even a hair dryer. I mean, it's the name of the site :P take it easy bro

Totally Vable Boba, I haven't thought of a way to do it yet, believe me it's been on my mind and was surprized I didn't hear anything sooner! Hahaha.... and thank you sir!

Oden Draconis

I'm almost done with the Helmet, here's some updated pics and I'm waiting on my visor to get here in the mail I'll post more once it gets here, I hope you all like them!
    http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/stkinithard/

Last edited by Oden Draconis; Mar 2, 2008 at 11:29 PM.

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Hey,

The upper cheeks need to be painted with an olive style green with a light coat of navy blue if i remember my colours right.... here is my bucket pic as a reference.

Your killstripes also need to be orange instead of red, and your keyslots at the back of the helmet are supposed to be silver and not red lol..

Apart from that, not too bad...

Btw if your bucket is a Don Post or the Rubies, from the look of it, use a heat gun or a hair dryer, heat up the dent area, then press inwards... Hope that helps

Hahaha.... I totally thought the kill stripes were red hahaha.... just when I thought I was almost done. Ya after I read the box it came in it said rubies on it but it was too late to send it back and thanks it does help!

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Oh and no stencils on the ears as its an RotJ helmet

From
    East Coast, Singapore

Oden, it's a great start on an appropriate helm. Practice and practice and when you're good to go, and have the finances, go 'movie sized'.

Thanks for sharing.

Alcfalath, thanks again, after you pointed out a few things I thought to myself I wonder whatelse I did wrong and got the stencils off! Hahaha.... I got the orange paint and should have up dated picutres tonight or tomorrow. Halo_1 thank you for the kind words. When you say "movie sized" what do you mean and where can I get it??

From
    East Coast, Singapore

Oden Draconis said: View Post
    Halo_1 thank you for the kind words. When you say "movie sized" what do you mean and where can I get it??
    Movie sized means that the helm matches/meets the size and dimensions of the screen used helm. The Rubies isn't at all correct and much smaller than the movie helms.

As for gettin one, take a look around and you'll probably see a few names pop out that offer these helms.b8)

Ok I see what you mean, thank you Halo_1. I'll keep my eye out and if you happen to hear anything let me know if not no hard feelings!
    Last edited by Oden Draconis; Mar 4, 2008 at 2:01 AM. Reason: spelling

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Look forward to seeing your new photos Make sure you count the right amount of kills though

Well I hit a wall I can't find any measurments or templets for the ROTJ kill stripes, all I can find is ESB. Any thoughts?? I tried searching the forums but tk-409 doesn't have the print out ones anymore I couldn't find them.

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

a good measurement is 18 1" tall kill stripes 1/4" thick with 1/4" space in between each about 1/2" above the head band. mask it off with thin strips of electrical tape so you get nice sharp clean lines instead of globby overflow lines.

Nasty You really are a saint! Thank you so much, I owe you one bro

Oden

Ok so I painted the back silver

And I repainted the kill stripes thanks to saint nasty's measurements But it kind of has a rainbow effect but atleast it's the right color on there now

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

my bad, i guess i didn't explain myself quite right. i'm sorry. the bottom line of the stripes should be parallel to the band that runs around the head about a half inch up.

here, take a look and see what i mean.

i'd suggest you start your line of stripes back a little bit farther back as well. for more reference check this out:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/misc/tdh_ref/

username: tdhmember
    password: ilovetdh

you're going to want to look at the Magic of Myth exhibit.
    Last edited by saint_nasty; Mar 4, 2008 at 11:58 PM.

No you totally explained yourself right, I just got a little too excited even though in the back of my head I new it wasn't gonna work. I cut it out on a straight piece of paper. Sorry for being a impatent bozo. so I'm gonna redo it just as you suggested, thanks for the link it really help and so did your measurements. I really appriciate it.
    Last edited by Oden Draconis; Mar 5, 2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: content

Ok good news, I got my visor today and I'm gonna TAKE MY TIME with the kill stripes install my visor and then I'll repost in a few days when it's done, and again thank you guys for all your help I can't tell you how much I appriciate it.

Oden

Alright!! Here it is armed with 1" tape an exacto knife and the calm not to rush it through only thing I forgot was to start my line a little further back but I'll live....... This is the good news, bad news is I got glue all over my visor and should have one in a couple days but I got my kill stripes thanks you guys!!!
    Last edited by Oden Draconis; Mar 5, 2008 at 11:56 PM. Reason: left out some detail