Subscribe
  1. I helped at SDCC '08 Gonzo Fett's Avatar
    Jul 3, 2006, 2:04 PM - I need some help here guys... :) #1

Ok I got a liner from a hard hat..sized it up in my bucket and it seems to be a good fit. I have some CA glue, and my bucket is fiberglass. My question is ....is there any stronger stuff I can use to hold that liner plastic parts in place? I dont' want something that will give in heat..and I need it to be strong enough for use (taking the helmet on and off) I have been using the extra thick CA glue but that isn't holding as well as I would like it.

Any input guys would be appreciated

Danielle
    Jul 3, 2006, 2:08 PM - Re: I need some help here guys... :) #2

What some have used:

Hot glue

Epoxy putty

JB Weld or JB Kwik

Make sure and sand the part you are gluing in so the surface will be rough and will have a better hold.
    Jul 3, 2006, 2:18 PM - Re: I need some help here guys... :) #3

I bought a batter's helmet from the store the other day that had a removable liner. I placed industrial velcro inside the helmet in the pre-determined places and since the liner had peripheral flat plastic spots I applied the other side of the velcro to that. Fully adjustable. I had to remove a layer of the padding but after about 20 mins with a very sharp knife it fits perfectly.

I found this to be less invasive than putting more stinky adhesives in the helmet when you have to breath over several hours.

Thought I'd share.
    Last edited by MacRory; Jul 3, 2006 at 3:08 PM.
    Jul 3, 2006, 2:23 PM - Re: I need some help here guys... :) #4

Two part industrial strength epoxy is the way to go with fiberglass. I would rough up the area inside the bucket and on the back of the liner tabs. Wally world carries the tan colored stuff that sets very quickly. Just make sure you get a truly even mix of both components.
    Jul 3, 2006, 2:24 PM - Re: I need some help here guys... :) #5

I would go with standard JB Weld holds like steel. I have the kwik set stuff pop lose, but never the standard stuff. Only draw back is that it will take overnight to harden up, but you will never need to worry again. Just make sure that both surfaces are scuffed up a bit to give the JB something to grab on to.

Alan
  6. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Jul 3, 2006, 4:26 PM - Re: I need some help here guys... :) #6

My helmet is a plastic resin, so I used the ABS glue that came with my TK suit.
    Jul 3, 2006, 5:44 PM - Re: I need some help here guys... :) #7

You can try some gorilla glue. It needs to be held in place for a couple of hours.
  8. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Jul 3, 2006, 6:01 PM - Re: I need some help here guys... :) #8

zxwing said:
    Two part industrial strength epoxy is the way to go with fiberglass. I would rough up the area inside the bucket and on the back of the liner tabs. Wally world carries the tan colored stuff that sets very quickly. Just make sure you get a truly even mix of both components.
    Very smart man. I would also recommend the two-part epoxy as well. I have found that the bond is excellent with wood, fiberglass, and plastics. I use the Devcon brand that Wally world sells....good stuff; good luck!