Subscribe
  1. Jun 8, 2015, 4:39 AM - I have an unkown Bucket. #1

So for many years I have owned a Fiberglass Fett helmet, I think I have had it in storage since 2006? I think maybe sooner maybe latter.
    I have been hesitant to paint an now I'm starting to think that I should bite the bullet and just do it
    My problem is I have no idea where this came from originally. I got this from a collector in the North Island (or New Zealand), and back then a FG fett helmet was rare for our little country...
    I have only do minor work on this fixing the keys in the back adding scratches and fixing the dent to my liking ( though I did this all in the way back...).
    The more I look at this helmet the more I feel it's all wrong. I have measured it time and again and most measurements match, and some don't (more match than don't by far)
    It's doing my head in really, sure I will paint it, but will I keep it in my final built... this I'm starting to doubt....
    p6030459-jpgp6030461-jpg
    I will add a few more soon showing the rear and the parts that bug me...
    A better shot for scale..fett-side-png
    fett-front-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p6030459-jpg   p6030461-jpg   img_0488-jpg  

Last edited by TheZeroEffect; Jun 8, 2015 at 5:18 AM.
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. Jun 8, 2015, 4:59 AM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #2

Just a note, I haven't done the visor properly yet. It's too wide at the moment, I will fill this shortly.
  4. Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Jun 8, 2015, 5:14 AM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #3

I would say it's a cast of a Don Post Deluxe.
  5. Jun 8, 2015, 5:21 AM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #4

Quote KaanE said: View Post
    I would say it's a cast of a Don Post Deluxe.
    That would make some sense. I believe there are some sizing issues with those? right?
    It would explain why the side look so straight too ( they lake that apparent angle when looked at front on).
    Though I also wouldn't call this helmet on the small side that the DP's seem to be either......
  6. Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Jun 8, 2015, 5:22 AM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #5

It's actually Mystery sized. Not as big as the originals, but bigger than a DP95. I think around the size of a fiberglass GMH.
  7. Jun 8, 2015, 6:15 AM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #6

I had always thought it was a mystery, but this had un-cast ears on the helmet, so decided it most likely wasn't. I do have photios of me looking decidedly bubble headed with this bucket.
    I use Rafalfett's measurements and most were close to spot on, its on the rear where the size goes atsray.
    The back part of the helmet seems to have flatten
    Here is a photo showing a close up of what I meant by flattened.... this part bugs the **** out of me
    p6080466-jpg
    full shot of the interior.
    p6080465-jpg
    Here are the key's I re-did this they look terrible when I first got the bucket.
    p6080467-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p6080466-jpg   p6080465-jpg   p6080467-jpg  

8. Jun 8, 2015, 6:46 AM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #7

And just to finish up with the pictures of my bucket..

The Dent, which I shaped a little. I did this a while back with a few reference pic's now I think I would have been a little more picky on how I shaped it... it's not to bad though...

p6090475-jpg

And a comparison against my DP96(I'm guessing an early 96 as it's not a bad helmet with no bad shaping like the 97 i.e. flat dome..).

p6090474-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p6090475-jpg   p6090474-jpg   p6090475-jpg  

Last edited by TheZeroEffect; Jun 8, 2015 at 7:07 AM.
    Jun 8, 2015, 5:04 PM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #8

That lid actually looks pretty good. Just need to pinch in the mandibles. It's quite full of imperfections anyway, just the way Fett is.
  10. Formerly saint nasty Mike M.'s Avatar
    Jun 8, 2015, 7:37 PM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #9

definitely looks like a mystery style helmet, those rounded cheek corners are making me think sgt. fang, but he didn't make his in fiberglass and i think he molded them ears on. it may be an early marrow sun, i don't know if his v1's or v2's were 'glass, but i'm pretty sure he molded them ears off. i do know his v3 helmets were molded with keys for positioning the ears.
  11. Jun 8, 2015, 10:19 PM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #10

Quote Mike M. said: View Post
    definitely looks like a mystery style helmet, those rounded cheek corners are making me think sgt. fang, but he didn't make his in fiberglass and i think he molded them ears on. it may be an early marrow sun, i don't know if his v1's or v2's were 'glass, but i'm pretty sure he molded them ears off. i do know his v3 helmets were molded with keys for positioning the ears.
    Great lead, I'll start looking down that avenue and see if I can dig something up, I would like to know where to place this helmet.
    knowing that it comes from a reputable maker, and how accurate it is is something I want to find out..

i really should paint it soon, I'll most likely feel better about its logs then...
  12. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Jun 8, 2015, 10:37 PM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #11

Like mike said I think marrow sun might be a good start....the cheeks being rounded leads me toward that as well...Something you can fix with a little time invested....
    Jun 8, 2015, 11:14 PM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #12

That visor is wiiiiiiiiiide.
  14. Jun 9, 2015, 1:27 AM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #13

Quote catbread said: View Post
    That visor is wiiiiiiiiiide.
    why yes it is.....
    it's just in as a place holder, if you look closer you can see the lines where it should be, I just haven't gotten to it yet, have been doing armor.....
    I'm almost to the helmet.....almost
  15. Jun 9, 2015, 1:34 AM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #14

Quote Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    Like mike said I think marrow sun might be a good start....the cheeks being rounded leads me toward that as well...Something you can fix with a little time invested....
    Yes that's where I'll start.
    I''m glad I haven't Painted yet as there are plenty that need fixing before I'm happy... and then once done I'll buy a new bucket and start again
  16. Formerly saint nasty Mike M.'s Avatar
    Jun 9, 2015, 3:45 AM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #15

Here's a recent thread of a marrow sun version 1 that was for sale:http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f31/f...row+sun+helmet

I'm looking at it on my phone, so I can't make a decent comparison, but it looks pretty close from what I can tell.
  17. Jun 9, 2015, 3:56 AM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #16

Cheers Mike will start to scrutinize, I have start to collect MS picks to do a compare. will post soon.
    But the more links the better.
    I did find one in the graveyard that was greatms-front-jpg

Looks a lot like mine from the front...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-front-jpg  
    Jun 11, 2015, 2:14 AM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #17

Here are some pics of my Marrow Sun. Not sure though if mine is v1 or 2. I kinda suspect it is 1

2015-06-11-00-06-52-jpg 2015-06-11-00-08-03-jpg 2015-06-11-00-07-47-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-06-11-00-06-52-jpg   2015-06-11-00-08-03-jpg   2015-06-11-00-07-47-jpg  

19. Jun 11, 2015, 2:22 AM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #18

Quote Furious said: View Post
    Here are some pics of my Marrow Sun. Not sure though if mine is v1 or 2. I kinda suspect it is 1
    Cheers, have added to file to scrutinize over
  20. Jun 14, 2015, 6:20 AM - Re: I have an unkown Bucket. #19

So I have started to do a comparison, just something quick.
    Getting the photos to match is a little tricky (Angle, distance, even lens type can change the look) so not easy... without taking hundreds of photo to get it spot on, It makes it mildly frustrating to make me satisfied with a accurate comparison.
    Anyway here is the first side by side image, I have draw red lines where the mandibles should be. (this was my fault when I first got this helmet I got slightly over zealous with sanding all the edges and widened the visor too far.
    This I will have to fix before I paint..fun fun.
    side-ms2-jpg
    I over-layed the ear from the MS onto mine to help marry the two together better.

Okay onto the front shot of the helmet.
    Again i have added red lines to best show where the mandible edge should be.... oups

front-ms-jpg

Honestly I'm still not convinced, not 100% but self doubt is a wonderful beast and can stop us from seeing what is in front of our eyes

Let me know what you all think...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails side-ms2-jpg   front-ms-jpg