Subscribe
    Feb 21, 2006, 7:33 PM - I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #1

Hey guys. I finally worked up the guts to cut out my T-visor from my helmet. I'm doing a custom, so I'm ready for the next step. I have another visor ready to go. How do I make it stay in place?

Thanks guys, after I'm done painting it and such, I'll try to get pics up.
    Feb 21, 2006, 7:44 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #2

try this thread out.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=11411

hope it helps.. get some pics up :-)
    Feb 21, 2006, 7:45 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #3

epoxy generally... the good kind...
    Feb 22, 2006, 12:44 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #4

I should be going to get paints today. I'd like to get it painted before I put the visor in. I think I paint it in this order:

Fusion white first, that add some mustard to the parts where I want scratches. Next, I apply the metallic silver on top. Then I add the black. Now, I wait for it to dry, and the spots where the mustard is, I just rub it off and the weathered scars are there

Does that sound like a good idea?
    Feb 22, 2006, 12:46 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #5

I spoke with a bunch of people who told me that black primer is best under metallic silver - really makes it "pop" - gives it a real metal look - but I dont know, I havent started to paint...
  6. Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Feb 22, 2006, 12:58 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #6

I agree with SarlaccBits on that. Black primer first.. Then the silver..
    Light sanding on the primer to smooth it out helps too.

I would also recommend before any painting to use windex or something like it to wipe down the helmet to remove all sanding residue and oily fingerprints.

Good luck on the paint job.
    Feb 22, 2006, 1:08 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #7

I want my helmet to be black though.
    Feb 22, 2006, 1:14 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #8

oh, ok.
    What color scheme are you going to use?
    Feb 22, 2006, 1:15 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #9

if you mean what the helmet will look like when it's done, It will be black with the Green trim around the visor.
    Feb 22, 2006, 1:20 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #10

Cool - are you going to post pictures when its all done?
    I like to see the original paint jobs!
    Feb 22, 2006, 1:21 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #11

yep. I plan to buy the camera when I get the paints
    Feb 22, 2006, 1:24 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #12

very cool...
    I will look forward to seeing it...
    Feb 23, 2006, 5:28 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #13

I have the paints now, They didn't have metallic so I guess I can do the weathered look. I didn't have enough money for the camera though. I will get those pics up though.
    Anyway, I found some plastic primer in my garage. Do you think I should start spraying that first or just start with my white?
    Feb 23, 2006, 5:31 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #14

primer is always a good start...
    gives the rest of the paint a good surface to adhere to...
    Feb 23, 2006, 5:32 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #15

Alrighty then. I'll get right on it soon.

And, almost forgot. my colors are Satin Krylon Fusion white,
    Satin Krylon Fushion Black, and Satin Krylon fusion hunter green
    Feb 23, 2006, 6:26 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #16

Well, I just got through putting the white paint on. There's a few 'bumbs' on there, so.. I might sand it a little, as Jun Garros Fett says.
    Feb 23, 2006, 10:54 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #17

I got the black paint on now. there were a few specs so I sanded it, then I had an idea since the black wiped off a little. I took a rag and kind of poked at it and gave it the weathered look since there is white under it. It almost looks as if it has taken a beating.

I'll be doing a bit more with it tomorrow then I'll try to paint the visor
    Feb 24, 2006, 6:11 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #18

Well, an update for today. I screwed up so I had to start over and now I'm at the same spot again: I only need to paint the visor trim. can I go to lowes to get special tape to cover up the areas I do NOT want to get the green paint on?
    Feb 24, 2006, 6:42 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #19

You can use regular old masking tape, if it's not too sticky. Too sticky and it might pull some paint up when you remove it. You can stick it on your shirt and pull it off a few times to reduce some of the stickiness.
    Feb 24, 2006, 6:48 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #20

blue painting tape is good.. its not very sticky...
    and readily available...
    Feb 24, 2006, 8:41 PM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #21

I keep trying to do this right and it keeps ending up looking like crap. I'm going to have to contact a friend of mine about this. I was wanting to hold off on this, yet it seems I have very little choice.
    Feb 25, 2006, 12:02 AM - Re: I have finally got the t-visor cut out. Next step please? #22

a tricky thing with keeping the paint on the fett helmet is if you do the silver and build up from there. The silver is not meant to have paint applied to it. After applying the silver I used a clear coat on it... this allows the paint to bond better. You also want to make sure you let your primer cure and that the primer is on evenly! If you prime over an area with dust, dirt, or oil from your hands, it wont stick right! Test the promer by putting a small strip of green auto masking tape, this can be purchased at any auto store and some home improvemnet stores in the paint section. Its very flexable and bonds well to paint. To ensure a clean seal on your masked area, carefuly seal the masked area with a clear coat, for the silver I used semi gloss and for the rest I used flat (make sure not to spray it on your silver scratches or they will go dull!) This will help insure no paint run under the tape.

Hope that helps.