Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Hobbits ESB Bobamaker Paint Up!! :D

From
    New South Wales, Australia

Re: Hobbits ESB Bobamaker Paint Up!! :D

Thanks Jayvee.... I hope so!! Now, I have gone up and down with these two colours and I really can't get more in the middle.... It's really hard to tell with these photo's because the colour seems to change in every light. The paint is still tacky so I'm not sure weather it will change at all when it dries. I don't know what else to do, if this isn;t right, do I have to add another colour? What do we think?

From
    Galati, Romania

From what I see in that image... I don't like it! But as you said, the color might change when it dries... or is the lighting again. You need to achieve somehow this color:

esb-hero-vs-stencil-jpg
    Last edited by RafalFett; Nov 9, 2012 at 5:21 AM. Reason: Replaced image with a new one.

From

I agree Raf, I think I might wait till the sun comes up and see how it looks.... If it still looks yucky, I will get some new paint. Cause that's the only thing I can think of.. having said that the R.A.F blue was quite rusty on top of the pot..

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Evening mate - I was able to find a couple of older pics of mine when I was at similar stages to you on my ESB.. Hope you dont mind me posting them in your thread, I dont think you can send through pics on a PM.. I just thought they might be a good reference point, seeing as we are using the same paints and colours. I think the first three montage pics show almost identical colours... the final green/blue shade you have currently, looks like it may need to be more vibrant, but im just not sure how the light is affecting your colour there. Anyway mate, heres the pics, I hope they are useful for reference for you

picture1-jpgpicture2-jpg

From

Hey mate, no I don't mind at all my friend... appreciate the help! I'll send you a pm.

From
    Sydney,Australia

I think you're colour looks a lot better than mine! To tell you the truth, after trying to mix up my own colour on the dome, I eventually switched to TFs suggested colours and have just stuck with that... I suspect mine is looking greener cos of the lighting/ WB and camera settings. Looking good!

From

It's so hard to say with these colours, but I am struggling with this, all is not well with those Humbrol colours... because Dinky and I have had trouble with this. Time for a beer me thinks!!!

From
    Galati, Romania

hobbit057 said: View Post
    It's so hard to say with these colours, but I am struggling with this, all is not well with those Humbrol colours... because Dinky and I have had trouble with this. Time for a beer me thinks!!!
    A well deserved beer... then go back to work and do some paint testing. Can't wait to see that helmet finished!

From

Haha! Thanks Raf! I cant wait to see these back panels finished!

From

Well I have done all I possibly can, and I am pretty happy with the colour now.... I mixed Blue (25), a few drops of matt black (33) with the suggested Uniform green (76) and RAF blue (96).... because I think there has been a change to the uniform green lately.. IMHO. Then as I wasn't happy with how light it still was I very lightly misted with matt black from a distance. Now the problem I'm having is peeling the maskol off... probably because of so many layers over the last five days. Atm I am picking off the paint with a needle, pretty tedious work.... So please don't make an opinion on the weathering at this stage... because it is far from done! Thanks peeps this has been a nightmare I'm not going to lie, I got very stressed out! So I am taking a break today and having a few beers and playing with my boys(who I have been neglecting a lot of late!). Thanks for looking, and a special thanks to Jayvee, Raf and Dinky for all your special help and advice. I really appreciate everything you guys have done!

Last edited by hobbit057; Nov 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM.

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Was just about to PM you before I saw the more recent pics - The Fett paint gods were indeed kind to you overnight bud, because the colour looks great, and the back panels in general look fantastic! after all the colour issues, im so glad they worked out for you - I think they look terriffic! The masking fluid may give you a few spots where it likes to remain on there until you find the little suckers - The next time you work on your lid, head out into the sunlight so you can easily see the areas better, lift them a tad with a tootpick etc, then rolll your finger over them - every so often, i find a spot or two ive missed even a few weeks after if its well hidden. Congrats on the results so far brother!

From
    Galati, Romania

Wow! I really like the 'new' base color, and as Jayvee said, the general look is awesome so far. It seems that your signature is becoming more and more a true statement and you should erase the 'sort of' part. You really deserve those beers and the hang out with the boys! Keep up the great work and never lose the trust in your abilities!

Looking great! Remember my colour list is just how I see these colours and really meant as a starting point. All credit to you for adjusting what I recommended for that green because I think what you've done looks better...

I think I may have to adjust my colour list slightly after seeing this...

From
    Deliverence, Indiana

Hobbits ESB Bobamaker Paint Up!! :D

Awesome man!
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app

From
    Newport News, VA

For easier masking fluid removal, you could try one of these:

It's sometimes called a rubber cement eraser, or a rubber cement pickup. Much easier than
    picking at the dried fluid with a needle or X-acto blade and then peeling it by hand.
    It's basically just a chunk of natural rubber that you rub over the dried fluid and it sticks
    like a magnet.
    Just a suggestion.

From

Thanks again guys! Hey TF, I don't know about that, I think the colour you got was nicer... I just couldn't get near it. No idea why, I really got lucky with the colour I got. Thanks SuperJedi, that looks like a great product, dont suppose you where to get it?

From
    Newport News, VA

In the states we have art supply stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby.
    Not sure what the equivalent would be in your part of the world, but any kind of art
    store with a decent selection should have something like it.

From
    Sydney,Australia

I just use a cloth to buff the paint. Seems to pick up the masking fluid in most cases. With the tougher ones, I use a needle to pick a little section of it, then buff with the cloth again. Worked for me...

From

Thanks guys!

From
    Saugerties, New York

Excellent work!!! You should consider taking commisions.

From

Nate said: View Post
    Excellent work!!! You should consider taking commisions.
    Thank you Nate, I am blown away Sir! It is something I would consider in the future......but should probably wait until I finish this one!

From
    Kansas

Great work Hobbit! I read through your armor build and I was blown away with your work. And you got the same great work going on the helmet. I am new to all this, but you have really inspired me to start my own Boba project. Any suggestions on getting started?

-Craig

From

bigswish21 said: View Post
    Great work Hobbit! I read through your armor build and I was blown away with your work. And you got the same great work going on the helmet. I am new to all this, but you have really inspired me to start my own Boba project. Any suggestions on getting started?

-Craig
    Thank you Craig, that's the best compliment you can get I think! Truly humbling to inspire someone... It definitely sweetens the whole experience! Also, I left a comment on your thread my friend...

From

Hello my favorite peeps! Quick update....I have layed down the silver Humbrol (11), and on to the masking...
    Now this took me ages! No kidding, the positioning was a nightmare! It took ages to mask, but I am very happy so far! Got to admit this part of the helmet is soo much more exciting... than the back panels!(there I said it!) Especially doing the cat scratch and doing the dent. I have just put down the dark grey coat Humbrol (79).
    I will post a few more pics later. Please let me know if anything is a miss, or if something is completely wrong. Thanks for looking and have a great day!

Last edited by hobbit057; Nov 24, 2012 at 6:42 AM.

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Looking good so far brother! Its always hard to completely tell the detail under the masking fluid, so will have a much better idea after the next layers, but from here its looking really sharp, and all the sizing looks excellent! Great work as always my good man :-)