Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Hobbits ESB Bobamaker Paint Up!! :D

From
    Newport News, VA

Re: Hobbits ESB Bobamaker Paint Up!! :D

Always interested in seeing how you layered painters work.
    I've always been a topical guy.

From
    New South Wales, Australia

Just a quick update, I haven't posted any pics for a few days, because I wasn't happy with the last coat i put on so I have rebooted/rubbed it back and started again. Pain in the bum, but it wasn't good enough, and couldn't be touched up....So I have whizzed ahead and am now back to the silver stage, I have the silver to mask next and will post a new pic when I have done the dark grey to compare.
    I am much happier with the masking and especially the placement this time. A little trick I have found is printable tracing paper..... So I print Raf's stencil on the tracing paper line it up to the helmet/previous masked damage, stick the carbon paper underneath and start tracing! Hope this helps someone out there! More to come!

From
    Sydney,Australia

It looked good to me! But I know the feeling, if you're not happy, it'll save more time to correct it before it's too late. I had a look at Jayvee's paint up thread that you bumped - makes me want to start me whole helmet again! He is meticulous!

From

Hey thanks, I know what you mean mate, he is amazing! He is the benchmark as far as I am concerned, and a top bloke!

From
    Galati, Romania

dinkydarth said: View Post
    It looked good to me! But I know the feeling, if you're not happy, it'll save more time to correct it before it's too late. I had a look at Jayvee's paint up thread that you bumped - makes me want to start me whole helmet again! He is meticulous!
    Yeah! He's one obsessively meticulous fella, and I like his paint jobs... And I'm glad that this 'illness' is starting to catch everyone!

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Hahaha, first Sticky Jonny, then obsessive meticulous disorder illness- Keep this up chaps, and I'm gonna start getting a reputation - the wife already thinks i'm nuts, don't encourage her..

From

Sticky Jonny Haha!
    Quick update, so I am back to where I was... I have been battling through the early stages again. I have spent a lot of time on the masking, which is where I made the mistake before.... So I am much happier with it this time.... some marks are a bit oversized but I will reduce them with the concrete /cream layer. Anyway, here's the pics......

Please let me know what you think good or bad. Thank you

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Ahh, much better my good man, that damage is looking lovely and sharp! I see what you mean about the slight texture of the silver we talked about - with some very, very super light brushing with fine grade steel wool, it should even out well by the time you get to the final layer. If the masking is taking ages, then you are on the right track brother - some of my liquid mask sessions, have been nigh on marathon - even doing it over a few days - but the more pedantic you are, the nicer end result. Absolutely rapt the second time round came out so nice to this point mate - keep it up at that rate, and your on your way to one mean lid! Peace

From
    Galati, Romania

It looks much better! Just keep up with the meticulous work!

From

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it! I know its not perfect, but it looks better to me.I have spent every spare minute on this and still am having some trouble the maskol, drying out as I'm applying it and lifting off again. GRRRR! Still gently sanding in between layers and the grey has smoothed it out a little so I'm hopeful it will be nicer at the end.

From

Here's the next layer the concrete, I used Terminal Fettlers suggestion as Humbrol is more readily available (Jayvee's also a great option). So as TF suggest to use grey (28) and then mist with beige (103). I think it looks close to TF's colour.... Still really hard to get super accuracy with this masking, I thought I was being meticulous but maybe my eye isn't as sharp as some?! Going to need some touch ups later. :/ I am still happy with it though! What do we think?

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Yeeaahh brother, now you're cooking with gas! looks fantastic, a few touchups wont be a big issue at all, as it looking sharp with a capital 'S' . Yup, i'm pretty fortunate to have a place close by that has humbrol, floquil and everything else, but that colour looks great! Top work m'man!

Looking good! Remember you can give it a light buff with 0000 wire wool, to blend the 28 and 103 and to flatten the edges of the layers before the final layer of green goes on. Lightly with the buffing though...

From

Wow! Two esteemed masters! Thanks for the nice comments! I have been buffing with scotchbrite pads.... do I need to go to wire wool? My apologies for the poor pics again... I just can't seem to get anything ready when the sun is shining... not that it was today! Haha!

From
    Deliverence, Indiana

Hobbits ESB Bobamaker Paint Up!! :D

Like TF knows what he's talking about. Ha!

Killer lid so far hobbit! Very nice!
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app

hobbit057 said: View Post
    Wow! Two esteemed masters! Thanks for the nice comments! I have been buffing with scotchbrite pads.... do I need to go to wire wool? My apologies for the poor pics again... I just can't seem to get anything ready when the sun is shining... not that it was today! Haha!
    I would definitely invest in some 0000 wire wool, this will flatten and buff the paint surface with out scratching it.

Wait at least 24 hours for the paint surface to harden though.

From
    Darwin River Northern Territory

terminal fettler said: View Post
    I would definitely invest in some 0000 wire wool, this will flatten and buff the paint surface with out scratching it.

Wait at least 24 hours for the paint surface to harden though.
    never thought of the wool to tone things down, considering been doing models for 25 odd years, cheers tf great info, and hobbit cant wait to see it finished, you have the passion for a top lid

From

Will do TF!! I wasn't really questioning... just seeing if I could get away with it

Cheers 22ssplt!

Thanks RobaFett, very nice comment! Just hope the passion translates into results!

From
    Sydney,Australia

Looking good! I ended up using a piece of cloth to buff up the paint a little. Was finding the steelwool I got from Bunnings a little harsh on the paint (even the finest grade they have) . I wonder if they get finer Steelwool overseas?

From

Hey Dinky, I got mine at mitre 10 today, seems ok.

Here is the next marathon masking session, had lots of trouble with the masking fluid drying while I was applying, GRRRR! Oh and I did give it all a buff with 0000 steel wool!
    I need some opinions on the green... not sure if it is ok? I used the green (76) and the blue (96) mixed together 1:1 as suggested by TF. Just not sure if it is right?!

From
    Galati, Romania

Maybe a bit darker? But this might be because of the natural light...

From

Hey Raf, that's what I was thinking.... I have taken a few shots in different lighting around the house. If it is too light, does that mean there wasn't enough blue?

From
    Galati, Romania

Yeah, I think a little bit of blue might help, but try to mix it up first on a piece of plastic to see the best combination. Keep up the great work!

From

Thanks Raf, i had a feeling it wasn't quite right... better get testing.

From
    Perth, Western Australia

mmm... pretty close, but a few more drops of blue probably wouldnt hurt. having said that, the masking on the layer looks awesome - I think you are gonna have some really sweet looking back panels brother!