Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

help

From
    ILLINIOS

help

hello i'm new here and I really want to make my own suit of boba fett....question is I don't know how.....I keep hearing about this don post guy and evrybody says to buy his helmet(the deluxe helmet)and then paint over it.but i don't want to buy a helmet I wanted to make mine from scratch....does anybody know how?

From
    Augusta, Ga

Re: help

welcome everything you need to know is here just use the search and you will find what you are looking for. there are a lot of scratchbuilt helmets...err everything actually.

john

From
    ILLINIOS

cool....how do I start?where do I look?

Use the 'Search' in the toolbar at the top of the forum. Search 'Helmet templates' or 'Scratchbuilt helmet' and you'll get good results.

From
    ILLINIOS

cool thank you!!!

HERO

I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    From
    Phoenix, AZ

Howdy hero! Welcome to TDH.

The very first question you need to answer is which version of Boba Fett do you want to put together? Pre-pro; Empire Strikes Back; Return of the Jedi?

Once you've answered that question, then you can researching all of the components and start assembling the costume. I think people have already given you good advice on where to look for a good helmet. I can give you two websites that I strongly suggest you take a look at. Both were very helpful to me ... granted I am working on a Return of the Jedi costume:

http://www.tk409.com/fett.html
    http://www.tk7602.com/bobafett/

The other thing you should think about is how far do you want to go with this? Meaning how screen accurate do you want it? I will warn you that the answer to this question could easily burn a hole in your wallet! It is something I call "the Fett Disease" in that I have become obsessed with upgrading my costume so that it looks as screen-accurate as possible. I started working on my Boba Fett on April 28, 2006. As of today, I am currently on version 3.0 of it, and it will become version 4.0 in a few days, and then 5.0 in late October / early November. I keep upgrading the components of this costume over and over again. So what I am saying is you may decide to call you costume "complete" when you have all of the components, or you may become as obsessed or even more obsessed with upgrading as I have become!

Hope this information is helpful.

From
    Earth

Yes, this costume is one of the hardest to build you will ever come across. simply because there are sooo many parts of a giant puzzle. And each puzzle piece for some has to be soo accurate that it becomes a huge undertaking.

The only question you need to ask yourself is do you have more time or money. Spend alot of money for good props, or spend alot of time building said prop. Either way its gonna cost about the same amount of blood sweat and tears.

and a final warning, you are NEVER EVER DONE.........

I'm on version 8.0 and still not happy.

From
    ILLINIOS

how did you make your own helmet from scratch???

From
    Whitehorse, Yukon

HERO said: View Post
    how did you make your own helmet from scratch???
    I really don't want to come off as rude but to get by here you really need to start looking around yourself. Like 15 posts down there is a tutorial on this subject it's called "New Batting Helmet" there is several others doing the same thing under different thread titles.

Welcome Hero. Good luck with your scratch built bucket mate. I believe that there is a cardboard bucket on the board at the moment. Pretty interesting stuff.

From
    ILLINIOS

yeah i saw that hey what are templates???

Templates are kinda like a map that will help you make your bucket.

From
    ILLINIOS

ohhh were do I find those???

Just search for helmet template, or helmet templates.

Here I did the searching for ya mate http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...lmet+templates should help you out a lot.

From
    Phoenix, AZ

From
    ILLINIOS

DonnieDarko688 said: View Post
    Here I did the searching for ya mate http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...lmet+templates should help you out a lot.
    I just found the same thing too!!!!sweet you guys rock!!!its gonna be sweet!!!my own suit!!!!!

From
    ILLINIOS

thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

Good luck my friend!

From
    ILLINIOS

so to make templates buy a baseball helmet then cut it into quarters....but whats the white strips holding it together???

it is a piece of sintra underneath I believe, someone help me out if I am wrong about that.

From
    Whitehorse, Yukon

styrene sheet (plastic). Go to home depot and buy the medium thickness for sale signs. It's the cheapest bulk supply of styrene sheet there is.

From
    ILLINIOS

dude thank you!!!!i'm going to target to get a baseball helmet on saturday and then i'll go to home depot to pick up the medium sized for sale signs!!!

From
    Whitehorse, Yukon

while you're at target, get bondo.but be sure the signs are medium thickness not medium size. there's a few different ones there and you dont want the ones that are paper thickness. you want the ones that are just a little thicker than credit cards

From
    Phoenix, AZ

One other thing I'd suggest because I make this mistake all the time. Write a list of all of the things you want to buy. From the baseball helmet to the materials to the tools. Trust me ... I once had to run to Home Depot 4 times in one week because I forgot something or bought the wrong color paint or the wrong sized bolt, etc.