1. MarsVoyager's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2014
    Mar 29, 2014, 3:03 PM - Helmet Terminology #1

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HelmetTerminology_MarsVoyager_2014-03-31.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	241.7 KB 
ID:	75603

    I created this image and list of terms/parts used in the ESB dented helmet. The intention was to get words to search for in this great forum. When searching I suggest that you also include “RafalFett”, he has posted some amazing details and original research about the helmets.

    The terms used in the image:
    1. Rangefinder
    2. 2 red LED
    3. 3 lamps-white
    4. Arm/Stalk
    5. Polaroid™ SX-70 Viewfinder eyepiece
    6. Perspex™ lens block
    7. Dome
    8. Dent
    9. 14 Kill stripes
    10. Fingerprint
    11. British anti-riot helmet chin strap & cup
    12. Left earpiece/cap
    13. Physical damage
    14. Cheeks (Upper and Lower)
    15. Mandibles
    16. T-visor, smoked perspex
    17. 3-hole Borden connector
    18. Right lower earpiece/cap
    19. Keyhole, 6 slots
    20. CASIO™ MQ-1 circuit board
    21. Letraset™ dry transfers Folio® bold condensed
    22. Right upper earpiece/cap
    23. Cat scratch
    24. Brow
    25. Turn signals/Triangles
    26. Rectangle/Rectangular indent/Hollow dash/Gutter
    27. Backplate

    Surely there are other named details? What do you call them?

    === Edits:
    #25 identified by superjedi as "Turn signals" and Fett 4 Real as "Helmet triangles".
    #26 Some suggestions: Rectangle [Fett 4 Real] / Rectangular indent/Hollow dash [RafalFett] / Gutter [Cyris], only "rectangle" seems to be used in the forum.
    Added Upper and Lower cheeks and Backplates, thanks RafalFett.
    Also changed to "Polaroid™ SX-70 viewfinder eyepiece", which seems to be the term used in manuals.

    I'm thinking of for example:
    - Ear decals (for the white areas?)
    - Flares
    Last edited by MarsVoyager; Apr 3, 2014 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Things to add
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. superjedi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2003
    Mar 29, 2014, 4:30 PM - Re: Helmet Terminology #2

    MV, nice work!
    I think most people would refer to the missing term as "turn signals."
  4. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Mar 29, 2014, 5:38 PM - Re: Helmet Terminology #3

    Helmet triangles
  5. syllander's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Mar 29, 2014, 5:47 PM - Re: Helmet Terminology #4

    Haha, turn signals. Never thought about that!
  6. animefan's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2012
    Mar 29, 2014, 5:59 PM - Re: Helmet Terminology #5

    Great job this will help out many new people! I also call the triangles turn signals
  7. MarsVoyager's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2014
    Mar 29, 2014, 6:48 PM - Re: Helmet Terminology #6

    Thanks, I've updated the image and added another question mark.
    Last edited by MarsVoyager; Mar 30, 2014 at 5:40 PM.
  8. RafalFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Mar 30, 2014, 2:20 AM - Re: Helmet Terminology #7

    You did a great work! The missing part should be named rectangular indent or hollow dash.You should also separate the cheeks in lower and upper cheeks and you can also add the back plates to the corresponding parts.
  9. superjedi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2003
    Mar 30, 2014, 6:58 AM - Re: Helmet Terminology #8

    I've never really called that little rectangle anything except a little rectangle.
  10. Cyris's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Mar 30, 2014, 12:02 PM - Re: Helmet Terminology #9

    I thought the little rectangle was called the "gutter." I can't remember where I've seen it referred to as such around here, but I swear I've seen it before... Anyway, great job, Mars! I like "turn signals" as well!
  11. MarsVoyager's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2014
    Mar 30, 2014, 11:32 PM - Re: Helmet Terminology #10

    Updated image and thinking of adding "ear decal" for the white areas.
    Just used "Rectangle" in the image.
    This is my message number 5, I'm a regular now I guess.
  12. Syper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Mar 31, 2014, 5:04 PM - Re: Helmet Terminology #11

    Thank MarsV, that was fun to look at. Cool man
  13. Yurko's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2014
    Dec 7, 2014, 9:57 AM - Re: Helmet Terminology #12

    My apologies to the veterans for resurrecting an old thread but this is very helpful. And I've noticed I'm not the only newbie on the forum.

    I'm surprised this hasn't been raised to 'Sticky'. By pouring over the various posts and discovering much of the terminology and acronyms, I had figured out much of the obvious. One item that alluded me was the "Borden 3 hole dental". I even read through the thread pertaining to that. I studied many images as I don't have a bucket yet. I kept thinking, 'WTF'. Now I know. Thanks.

    My assumption is after further digging I might come across the same for the gauntlets and jp (jet pack).


Similar Threads

  1. Hood attachment to Helmet....
    By Migrate from As You Wish in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Oct 14, 2006, 5:43 PM
  2. Official Thread - Helmet
    By Migrate from As You Wish in forum Jango Fett Costume
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: Jan 23, 2005, 4:38 PM
  3. Helmet Measurements?
    By AoErat in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Dec 29, 2004, 1:13 PM
  4. ROTJ Helmet Color Scheme??
    By Migrate from As You Wish in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Apr 28, 2004, 7:45 AM
  5. Inside Boba fett Helmet
    By Migrate from As You Wish in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr 20, 2002, 7:43 PM