I've been playing around with possible solutions to the problem of speaker placement on a Fett. I have come up with a few designs for customs Mando's - much like Marrow Sun's Super Commando - where I can mount speakers on the cheeks and blend them in with the rest of the "gear".
When custom building it's obviously a hell of a lot easier to fit the style around the parts you want included.
But this doesn't really help us when it comes to Boba or Jango. So far these are the current set ups I have read about:
If there are any other major ones I have missed out please let me know.
- Placing an Rs or equivalent amp/speaker in the ammo pouch with a wire running under the flight suit to the helmet fo rthe Mic. - Easy to hide the amp in the pouches, but the sound can be distorted by the material used for the pouch and can sound out of place.
- Installing the amp/speakers in the jet pack - again, the wire etc are kept out of site, but again we have the problem of where the sound is coming from.
- Installing everything in the helmet - All contained in one area so not as much wire flowing about, but a lot less space than a TK bucket, and serious feedback issues.
From looking at the options I have come up with a few of my own. I would really appreciate any feedback, opinions or criticisms on these.
- Installing an RS amp and mic in the helmet, but removing the existing speaker and replacing it with small speakers that I use for putting in TK Aerators (PM me for details if you want some). The new mini speakers with then be run down to the neck seal and concealed behind the material. This will mean all cabling will be concealed behind the neck seal/in the helmet itself and will allow the sound to appear to originate from the "head area" rather than your hips or elsewhere.
Please let me know what you think of these ideas.
- My second idea, is to have a similar set up as before, but instead of running the speakers to the neck seal, to have them run down the inside of the vest to the chest diamond. The centre silver area of the chest diamond will be removed and replaced by speaker cloth that will be dyed silver and the speaker will be affixed behind the diamond. Again, all cables with be concealed and the speakers should be far enough away from the mic and amp to alleviate feedback.
As I said, the speakers I use are under 20mm in diameter, and I usually put these inside my TK aerators. I am hoping to have a play about this weekend and will let you know of any progress I make.
In the mean time, if anyone can suggest a good microphone please help me out.