MS3 Helmet, stalk by biggerkidtoys.
Used Neodymium disc magnets to hold the cover on.
Recommend this place for them: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10
The company is pretty fast in shipping, low prices and no minimum.
I drilled and countersunk the holes in both pieces to fit the magnets.
The counter sunk hole allows for some glue to build up under the magnet to hold it in place.
I drilled out a hole in the earpiece to allow access to the servo stalk. (The little white piece you see below)
Since I am using the Hyperdyne servo board, I used the recommeded HS-77bb low profile servo.
(link to Hyperdyne part: http://www.hyperdynelabs.com/product...unterServo.php
I bought a pack of servo horns, with the same size hole as the servo stalk to fit inside the aluminum arm:
It had three arms coming off it, I just dremeled them off and glued the piece inside the arm.
There are small teeth inside the ring that mesh with the servo arm.
This allows me to take the cover off, and unhook the range finder arm. Makes packing and shipping much easier.
The servo is mounted with screws and hot glue to the inside of the helmet. (it has it's own switch)
Both the RF board and Servo board are powered by the two 9volt batteries, using a SCR to drop it to 12 volts.
I lined the interior sections with black felt where my skin makes contact, no more glass burns for me!
I plan on adding to small vent fans to the gray box in the box, it's the circuit board for the vents.
All in all, this was a pretty straight forward operation to make the RF servo work, hardest part was drilling into the helmet..
Here is where I got the RF board (wireless transmitter/receiver) for the servo mech - http://www.electronickits.com/kit/co...lec/ck1617.htm
any questions - let me know.