Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Helmet Prices

From
    Earth

Re: Helmet Prices

~Pay cheap, you get cheap. Pay for quality (ie more expense) ,you get quality.~

I have to disagree, that is not always the case.

Quote:
    not then do the best job you can possibly do yourself ,but don't begrudge those who can afford as that just comes over as being bitter.
    Have you ever charged anyone for your artistic ability? Or been commissioned to paint or design anything? If so then you know, as I, that quality/ "Skill" does cost. But I think we can all understand that, don't you.
    With that being said and out of the way, then lets look at the OVER-Pricing that is going on. After all that's really what I 'm talking about.

As an artist I know that I could over price and get away with it, but I don't, its called Ethics. And many people know that there are members on this board that don't know the first thing about painting their helmets (aka the whole reason we are here) and are taken advantage of with over-pricing. So if we look at the "actual totals" then lets just see were most of the cost is...This term "Skill" is over rated and way over-priced, even coming from an artist.
    In the end I'm one of those who can afford it, But chose not to. SO I say "DO It Your Self" (U.S.A)....

P.S there is no reason to suggest that someone is bitter when its something you don't agree with.

From
    Michigan...The Motor City to be exact!

Not to mention,
    In your line of work, how much do you get paid per hour? If you add up the cost of supplies and add on labor expense, you will see how much of a bargain it really is.
    Especially if the painting process takes more then a month. It isn't grunt work, it takes skill. So figure it by a skilled tradesmans rate if you want to be technical.

From
    Sacramento, CA

did you guys know there are hair people out there that charge $500+ for a freakin haircut??? That makes $250 for a custom paint job very reasonable to me.

From
    Green Bay, WI

Maybe those that offer services or goods to the members of this "billboard" should all stop offering. There's plenty of info here to get people started. Let everyone fend for themselves in finding stuff. There's rubies stuff, DP stuff, and whatever you can make yourself stuff. I'm not worried, I made ALL of my own stuff, so I'm covered. I'm hoping that those who think the market is unfair, are using Rubies, DP, or stuff they made themselves. I'm wondering how many here have actually built their own bucket from scratch. I'll bet I could count them without taking off my shoes. I myself, made a bucket, sized for kids, just because some members asked. I don't even have kids. Now, I consider my rates for these to be quite fair, but others might not. If someone's not happy with the price of an item at one store, they go to another. So, rather than whine about what someone here is charging for something, find another source.

Quote:you don't want to pay to have something done, so you do it your self.
    Errrr...............actually I've never said that "Lynn Ol' Bean"
    I'm more than happy to pay a reasonable price for anything. I just think that $250 is a shameful price to charge for painting a bucket, and I stand by that.

As for the DP DLX, I'm sure there are many fans out there who are as happy with it's quality as you are unhappy with it. This is yet another example of the "It's not mine so it must be a poorer quality" cancer that's regrettably infesting some parts of this forum
    And as for it's price....Well, licensing costs money dude, need I say more??

Hey............and did you know that there's people out there silly enough to PAY $500 for a haircut

From
    Corbin, Ky

QUOTE:
    __________________________________________________ ___
    I'm more than happy to pay a reasonable price for anything. I just think that $250 is a shameful price to charge for painting a bucket, and I stand by that.
    __________________________________________________ ________

Actually, $250 is about the ballpark figure for a good paint job. I sold a DP '95 that I had repainted on eBay a few weeks ago. I paid about $35(yeah, I can't believe I got it for that, either!) for the helmet and after the repaint it went for $236. That's what the buyer thought it was worth, not what I was charging for it. These are luxury items paid for with discretionary income. If the consumer is willing to pay that rate, good. If not, they are free to seek other avenues. There's nothing shameful about it.

Afettfullofdollars, for your 9th post you show remarkable wisdom. Welcome aboard!

From
    Corbin, Ky

Thanks. It's good to be here.

They're only "luxury items" as you so quaintly put it coz some people choose to charge that much for their work....and others , who believe that this is their only option, chose to pay it.
    It's not the price of the paint and materials that drives up the price. It's what some "moneygrubbers" hold their hands out for that jacks it up.

I implore you people, don't be sucked in by how others put forward rationalisations of "skill", and how much they think they're worth just because they might've banged a couple of Lego blocks together and then slapped some fingerpaint on them at the ripe old age of 7.

It ain't worth it........and if you don't pay it.......they won't charge it......

From
    Montrose, PA

DarthBish wrote:

It ain't worth it........and if you don't pay it.......they won't charge it......
    Do you work for free and put your blood, sweat, tears, and sometimes frustrations for a minimal dollar amount? I don't hardly think so.

You just don't get it..... I'm done.

Lynn

Ohhhhhhhh don't be such a freakin' "drama queen". I never said give your service away for free.
    I just suggested that everyone should be more reasonable with what they charge.
    That way, instead of a Fett costume being a "Luxury Item" it can be within the reach of anyone that shares the same love of the character that we do.
    If anyone can see anything wrong with that I'll be very surprised.

Okay Bish, I respect you and your opinions but just so we are all clear, let's be specific:

Paintjob - $250 (estimate) - how much would you charge or be willing to pay for a super accurate paintjob?

Helmet - $250 (estimate) - same question, how much do you think a raw kit should sell for?

This way we can see where your coming from. Cheaper isn't a very exact term.

From
    Michigan...The Motor City to be exact!

I am interested as well to see what you think is "Reasonable" Bish.
    One thing to also keep in mind is that alot of these people that are offering the helmets and paintjobs have real world jobs and families. They are in the hobby for the love of it in most cases. A lot of times you will have someone that provides a great service in making a helmet or offering a paint job to a couple of people and then by word of mouth and pictures on the internet it seems there is a high demand for those sevices.
    At that point there becomes a trade off. Now the person has to juggle their time between working on a paint job, Working there usual vocation and spending quality time with their family. Now, they do not have the option to take away from their usual job so the quality time with the family has to suffer.
    On top of supplies and materials, what is your time worth?
    If you were going to spend the next say 6 months working pretty much constantly on projects for other people, what would it be worth to take time away from your wife/husband and kids?
    I do know that this is the scenario with alot of the more skilled artists on this board.
    As a few other posters here have already said though, if you are not willing to pay the price they are offering, then you always have the option to "Do it yourself". I say more power to you for doing so but there are alot of people that just do not have the skill to do it.

From
    Louisiana

I think that the time and the quality that are put into the work is well worth the price. I know what little I've done so far on my own is time consuming and if I was to do it for someone else I would expect to be paid for that time. People have families, frinds and lives they could be spending that time with. You have to respect that.

Oh and ah.... You get what you pay for.

I am one of those people who don't have the skill, patience or time to do it myself. I have 4 kids, a house I am saving for, work pilling up, a girlfriend I almost never see, school, plus no talent what-so-ever when it comes to painting. I have tried many, many, MANY times to paint my bucket. It never looks the way I want it to. So I have to go the route of having someone do it for me. If I don't like the price, I tell them it's not in my budget and look for someone else. I decide how much I want to pay, nobody does that for me. I do believe you get what you pay for. But you also have to sometimes settle for less until you can do it yourself or the funds become available to get it done better. If it's great work I have no problem paying for it. But again, it's all about budget for me right now.

From
    St. Louis, Missouri

Okay I feel the need to chime in. I 've been watching this and can see both sides. I just don't like the "air" where this is. There are many "levels" of skill and financial status here on the boards. Yes some things cost more than others. I agree you get what you pay for (or want). There are some individuals that want a "totally accurate/ as close to the original" Fett that they can get. If they have a resource to get that, albeit armor and paintscheme, then they may need to have someone paint it for them. And yes highly-skilled labor/talent will cost more. If you can't afford it, save up like I'm doing and don't begrudge someone willing to pay that.
    I've been trying to get my Fett costume "off the ground" for some time now. I don't have the "expendable" cash like I would like, but pinch where I can. I've been saving up for quite a while for a fiberglass armor and jet pack set. Until I get FG I'll have Sintra. Yes it's expensive but I feel it's worth itOn the opposite side, don't begrudge someone who can't afford it either.
    This forum was started by Fett fans for Fett fans, we're here to help each other (at whatever your budget) and NOT bitch at each other and complain. Yes there should always be "reasonable prices" but somethings do cost more. Heck, I've paid anywhere from $30 to $100 just for a freakin 95 DP helmet. Were they worth it? To me yes. I've also bought a Marrow Sun helmet and a couple of kids size from Judz. They in my opinion were well worth the cost, Judz even threw in a defect helmet for free! (Thanks again for that Judz!) All in all we need to help each other no matter what you budget. I feel this forum offers All ranges!

Keep it up!

Geo

From
    Palatine, IL

DarthBish wrote:

Actually, the truth is if you don't pay it they won't DO it. I can guarentee you it will not cause prices to drop. People providing these sevices are not doing it because this is their livelyhood, they're doing it as a favor to those who can't.

From
    St. Louis, Missouri

Another additional not....

I DO have the skill, but NO time. So in some things I may have to pay more to get what I want. I'm fine with that, accept it, and have to save $$$ until I CAN get it.

"Budget, Speed, High Quality"...Pick two because you can't have ALL three.
    A good quote from the Multimedia/Print/Advertising business.

Geo

Ok i'm not a regular poster here, but I am an avid collecter of props, having my own Luke ANH x-wing Helmet and a custom painted one done in my own design which is being painted as we speak by a professional that I trust, why did i go to a professional because I can't paint, I have no skills in this area what so ever, I may be able to build my own props , but painting is quite an involved and delicate thing to do right.

How much is he chargeing me for this helmet ?

$315.00 is for the complete job

but i'll break it down to the quote he sent me

kit assembled. $150
    paint job--------------$100
    Ear cups mic------- $ 25
    Shipping to UK-----$ 40
    Total-------------------$ 315.00

$100 is nothing for a high quality paint job

But lets term this a little differently

Your car has a big nasty scratch on it, you can't fix it your self so it goes to the auto shop for a respray

now do you choose

A) The professional sprayer who, know's what to do, how to mix the paints ,get the right colour match and blend in the paint layers so you wont see the scratch anymore

or

B) Choose the little apprentice fresh from college who's only read how to do thing's in a text book and never faced the practical problems that will be thrown at him . i.e paint reacting to something, we've all been there

you would choose the "A" option, no one would go for the apprentice, apprentice's are nothing but tea boys and floor sweepers.

this same theory can be applied to the world of props and costumes

In the prop world it's all about Accuracy,you wan't the closest you can get to the movie seen prop, some people are lucky enough to own the real versions those who don't often build there own, striving for the minutest of detail, it's the same with the costume world, Accuracy is everything to some people and there willing to pay the prices for it, other's are happy just with something less accurate but more appealing to the pocket

The moral of both the prop and costuming world is that in the end you get what you pay for, some people won't pay it some people will.

I know $100 is cheap for a pro paint job, i'm happy with that price cause I know that helmet will kick ass once it's done, i'd of been willing to pay more for it .
    A screen accurate correctly painted Vader helmet will set you back a nice $1-1500 looking at that makes me think that $4 -600 for a dented helmet with correct paint job is a steal, I myself just purchased a screen acurate AA/SDS Stormtrooper helmet that set me back $800, I think it's worth it, other's won't think so.

From
    Earth

Every hobbie has its high prices, name one that doesnt.

From
    Appleton, WI

Well It all depends on what you want and what your willing to pay. There's a bucket at every price point.

Let me illustrate.

Well Under 100$

Well Over 100$

Time and detail equals big $$$$

From
    Green Bay, WI

Flan, few words, great point.

...and beautiful bucket! (the second one, that is )

From
    Corbin, Ky

DarthBish wrote:
    __________________________________________________ ___________

They're only "luxury items" as you so quaintly put it coz some people choose to charge that much for their work...
    __________________________________________________ ___________

Actually, "luxury item" has nothing to do with price. It is simply a term for any good or service that is not a necessity.

From
    St. Louis, Missouri

Back to point/ original question asked...

How much for a mystery helmet painted?...

How much for unpainted?...

Ballpark for the guys/gals, no rants.