Helmet Prep

From
    Keller, TX

Helmet Prep

Does anyone do helmet prep? Cutting out the T-visor and Key holes? I am really a novice at the dremmel so I would hate to jack my helmet up. Pm me or email me at jadawson1@gmail.com. Thanks!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    From
    Advertising world

From
    Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Re: Helmet Prep

What material is the helmet you have?

From
    UK

We all do... It's half the fun?

Just take your time and take several small cuts and you'll be fine...

From
    Central Upstate NY

Just cut out the visor and keyslots on another bucket last night. Its a fun part of the process. Just put a cutting wheel on your dremel and go to town. Stay steady and go slow, take breaks if you need to. Oh, and wear a dust mask. Have fun

From
    Fort Worth, TX

Do the keyslots first. It helps to maintain the structural integrity of the helmet if you work the small areas first.

From
    NB, Canada

I tend to not cut right up to the edge when I use a power cutter. Leave just a little bit, which you can then clean up with sanding and stuff. I find if I try to cut it right up close I almost always have a boo-boo and cut into something I shouldn't have. On the other hand, don't worry too much if you do. That's what auto putty and fine-grit sanding are for.

From
    San Diego, California

Find the right size drill bit that will match the size of the slots but don't go out of the lines. It's better to use a smaller drill bit at least you can always file the holes down. What I did was drill two small holes on each sides (left and right) of key slot. Then I dremel the top and bottom of each key slot from hole to hole. Punch out the cut-out part of the key slot and use jeweler's files to file down the sides (especially the drill holes) and the top part of the slot for a clean look.

From
    Keller, TX

Where do you get the jewlers files? And what grit sand paper should I use to clean up the seam lines and some blemishes?

From
    Newport News, VA

Most larger hobby shops or hardware stores should carry sets of small files. I found a set of 8 or 10 in a little plastic pouch at Ace Hardware. It was around $12 or so.

For sanding, I usually start with a 'medium' grit; maybe 200, to remove more material, then work to a finer grit. Be careful when sanding. Work slowly so you don't remove too much material. It's easy to take it off, but harder to put it back on!

From
    Keller, TX

I forget is the higher grit you go the finer the paper right? 400 is finer than 200.

From
    michigan

tk9950 said: View Post
    I forget is the higher grit you go the finer the paper right? 400 is finer than 200.
    that is correct. the higher the number the finer the grit. also automotive grade sandpaper (black stuff) can be used to "wet sand" so you get a nice smooth finish between base coats and primer coats.

From
    Keller, TX

I have a Hobby Town USA near here I might check out.

Ah helmet prep, my old adversary I'll admit I HATE every bit of it, especially trimming the visor, my last Dremel died at the hands of my FPH and whilst trimming that thing I was so scared of slicing through a mandible it took me about a week, and the amount of resin dust I've washed out of my hair/eyes/clothes/nostrils but when you finish and your bucket is sat there all primered and ready to go theres no better feeling

From
    Keller, TX

I MIGHT CUT A MANDIBLE OFF !!!!!! I AM REALLY FREAKED OUT NOW !!!!!

LOL

Sorry couldn't resist. Your replies are giving me some confidence and momentum. And for that I say thanks....and if I mess up its all your faults .

Ok I accept full responsibility for any mistakes you make

From
    Keller, TX

Oh wheww. Ok in that case where did I put that table saw?

Now hang on just a minute

From
    Keller, TX

Your right......AND my blow torch.

Well for what it's worth I just finished cutting out the visor in my Rubies Jango Deluxe (a.k.a. my first Bu'cye) and personally I did it with an exacto and a craft knife..honestly I didn't trust my hand to be steady enough to use the dremel...cmae out excellently though!

From
    San Diego, California

tk9950 said: View Post
    I MIGHT CUT A MANDIBLE OFF !!!!!! I AM REALLY FREAKED OUT NOW !!!!!

LOL

Sorry couldn't resist. Your replies are giving me some confidence and momentum. And for that I say thanks....and if I mess up its all your faults .
    LOL! You'll be just fine!

From
    Keller, TX

Wulf Strassa said: View Post
    Well for what it's worth I just finished cutting out the visor in my Rubies Jango Deluxe (a.k.a. my first Bu'cye) and personally I did it with an exacto and a craft knife..honestly I didn't trust my hand to be steady enough to use the dremel...cmae out excellently though!
    Problem is its made out of a Resin material so I don't think the exacto knife will cut it. I think I will have to venture into the dremmel territory.

TD2253 said: View Post
    LOL! You'll be just fine!
    Thanks!

From
    Newport News, VA

TK, just take your time while you're cutting.
    And remember the safety glasses! If you can find a face mask it's highly recommended as well. Resin/fiberglass aren't friendly to your lungs.

From
    Keller, TX

SO I went to Hobbytown USA yesterday and picked up some jewlers files as well as: US med green, super fine brushes, and masking liquid. So I think I will start tonight on the key holes. Maybe I will turn this into a tutorial for prepping a helemt for us peeps who are scaret like me?

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

before you get started on your helmet with your new dremel, if you're not sure of your hand, get some 1/8" plywood scraps. practice cutting on it. get the feel of how your dremel is going to pull, how much pressure you'll need to apply to keep it steady, practice cutting straight lines. then once you're comfortable with that, try drawing a large circle or some other shapes (square, triangle, star, etc.) and practice cutting along those lines. then get some grinding/sanding bits out and practice with them as well. i don't know from personal experience, but i assume that there aren't many feelings much worse than sitting down to cut the visor out of your beautiful new helmet and having your dremel kick-back and go skittering across the surface with that diamond cutting wheel .

From
    Keller, TX

saint_nasty said: View Post
    there aren't many feelings much worse than sitting down to cut the visor out of your beautiful new helmet and having your dremel kick-back and go skittering across the surface with that diamond cutting wheel .

*******GULP********

Thanks I might try that. I am lucky enough to live very close to Darthmiller so I have a great mentor to help me along the way. I might try the drill multiple holes then conect the dots method that sounds like it might work.

Thanks as usual for everybodies insight!