Helmet Paint Job - Advice + Comments.

From
    Glasgow, Scotland

Helmet Paint Job - Advice + Comments.

Thought i would share the fruits of my labour with some of you, been working on this on and off for a couple of months. Its the first lid i have painted up mostly with Humbroll paints as im in the UK in a kind of Prepo2 style. Looking to weather it a bit more and looking for a few pointers being new to this, i see a lot of people painting some gray round the silver, how would i go about this as i have layered the paint job so far. Comments and suggestions appreciated. The ear pieces are not finished either and are just held on with some blue tack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picture-002-jpg   picture-004-jpg   picture-009-jpg  

picture-003-jpg  

From
    New Orleans

Re: Helmet Paint Job - Advice + Comments.

I love me a good prepro2 paint up

From
    Deliverence, Indiana

Im no expert but I think it looks great!

From
    Orlando, FL

It looks very good. As for the grey around some of the scratches I did mine topicaly with a very fine brush after the fact. Also don't forget you missed the pink color on the mandibles....not kidding.

From
    Oslo, Norway

Looking good. Which Humbrol paints did you use?

From
    Glasgow, Scotland

Thanks for the comments guys

i did notice that many helmets had that washed out colour on the mandibles. I take it you would water down the red paint and apply??? Im getting a bit lost here as i have reached a point that i'm not feeling as comfortable painting and i'm not looking forward to the kill stripes!!!! I would hate to make a mistake now!!!!

Also weathering the helmet in terms of dulling it down what is the best option i hear people using steel wool and or washing the helmet in window cleaner, again i,
    'm a bit lost here and any direction will be greatly appreciated.

Again cheers for the advice guys much appreciated.

Predatormv said: View Post
    It looks very good. As for the grey around some of the scratches I did mine topicaly with a very fine brush after the fact. Also don't forget you missed the pink color on the mandibles....not kidding.
    Last edited by markyt1; Jan 3, 2009 at 4:47 AM.

From
    Middlesbrough UK

oh man - I hate you

I am currently comtemplating gettin a air brush kit to give this a go myself
    kudos on goign layered. advice I got so far has been a combination of layered - for the big areas of scrapes and topical for the small grey/pink on mandibles.

looks good.

yeah I heard abt the window cleaner idea as well, but no tried it myself

Nate

From
    Orlando, FL

The window cleaner is a mix of window cleaner and black acrylic paint (two or three drops of paint, just enough to make the liquid a bit cloudy) and wash over the helmet, then gently blot it off with a paper towl. Repeat as you see fit. DO NOT use steel wool on your helmet, it will ruin your paint job. You can take a fine scotch brite pad and rub it down a bit to dull out the colors and help blend them. I also coat everything with Testor's dull coat (do not add a clear coat to it as it will change the colors drasticly..learned this the hard way)

The pink color on the mandibles is Piping Pink from Floquil, I have been told this was the actual color used on the real one. Good luck finding it though. I had to use Model Masters paint for this one color and it didn't look quite right so I added a bit of grey to it to make it look right. I did my pink as it's own layer, but it is clearly too late for you do to that, so just take a pencil and outline where you want it to go, and then paint it on with a fine brush, then erase the pencil with a normal eraser.

If anyone has any other questions or need advice on painting a Pre-pro2 helmet let me know as I have done it several times and have put hours and hours of time into research for it.

From
    Oslo, Norway

Is there a particular brand of windowcleaner or just any type?

Really nice paint job so far, i tried the window/acrylic wash, didn't work for me. I weather the helmet with a mid grey, brown and black airbrushed VERY sparingly to add tone and deepen colours where needed. When fully dry you can go back over with 0000 wire wool and gently buff back the effect. Also varying the spray from fine to coarse gives the right effect...

From
    Orlando, FL

I think most window cleaners will work. If your not noticing any change in the effect when doing the washes add a bit more paint to it.

You can also mist down the colour with a part water part acrylic paint mix without the car window cleaner stuff using a fine misty spray bottle, using
    grey and black mixtures. best done after the clear coat I have found to be the case.

Nice work there, looks great

From
    Glasgow, Scotland

Thanks for the comments guys, im honestly crapping myself with the next stage of painting. im thinking of the getting to grips with the kill stripes next, got the paint getting the time is a killer at the moment, love to have a few days to sit alone with my lid!!!

From
    Kentucky

looks good man like it

From
    The miserable mill

nice to see a nice prepro set up being started as we just lost one

Dude that is just awesome work nice paint job.

From
    Gothenburgh, Sweden

cr4nky said: View Post
    Is there a particular brand of windowcleaner or just any type?
    If you want to darken the colours after you've finished painting with your enamel paints you can instead of window wash use T-rd or similar for the same effect.

From
    Glasgow, Scotland

Wee update on the lid. Painted the kill stripes ove the last couple of days, what a pain they are to do. I made a template for this cutting out some paper then applied it to the helmet but due to the curvature they all ended up at awkward angles half way along. So drew on the helmet with pencil then taped it up masking and painting.

Im getting there slowly need to apply the grey and the pink now over the mandibles. Quite happy at the moment with the progress. Will be painting up another lid after this though!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picture-006-jpg   picture-007-jpg  

From
    Walnut, CA

You can dull the paints a bit by carefully sanding with either a fine grit sandpaper of 00 steel wool which can be found in hardware stores like Lowes and Home Depot. 00 steel wool in particular works very well and as long as you long as you don't use too much pressure it will do a really good job at dulling the paint job without leaving any marks. I probably wouldn't use it all over or apply the same amount of sanding everywhere, I'd vary the amount of sanding and not sand everywhere.

From
    France

Hi,
    Your helmet looks really great !
    Painting some gray round the silver as well as some mix of purple/brown round the red/caboose, gives more depth and a good final touch .
    Keep up the good work !

From
    Enid, OK

nice job man looks great

From
    Southern Cali

Excellent work. Love the weathering chipped look on the prepro.

-Joe

From
    RIVERBANK CA

nice work. so glad to see another pre pro. I too never noticed the pink color on the mandibles untill after I was done painting. so I sanded the said areas very lightly and achieved a pink color. however I do not recomend this option as it will keep you up at night contimplating reconstruction. I am currently repainting my entire bucket with every intention on layering the pink. I hope everthing comes together for you.

Looks Goood!