Subscribe
    Apr 10, 2008, 4:04 PM - Has anyone ever attempted a thermal visor? #1

My fellow paintballers will know what I'm talking about. Single lens googles suck. They fog like crazy. Fans help a little, but nothing beats thermal lenses. For those that don't know, its basically a 2 layer lense, sealed air in the middle, and prevents fogging. Why can't we do the same for visors? Has anyone ever tried it? I have very thin clear plastic, almost identical to a paintball mask thermal lense. It would be a matter of finding the double sticky sided small thin foam strip to go around the edge. I would like to hear some thoughts on this. Discuss
  2. formerly old_jedi_mind_trick Bobby Fett UK's Avatar
    Apr 10, 2008, 4:30 PM - Re: Has anyone ever attempted a thermal visor? #2

It would be possible I suppose.

Working on the principals of double glazing, you would need to create a hermatic seal between the plastic visors. The larger the gap the better the performance (up to a point). Some type of silica gel (desiccant) would be required between the panes. You would also require a nonporous plastic material to maintain the seal.

On my paintball mask, the gap is only very small, if sealed with double sided tape in a low humidity you may get some benefit, lets have a think, it could work. The key would be removing as much moisture from the air in the gap as possible.

It may be relatively easy.
  3. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Apr 10, 2008, 6:54 PM - Re: Has anyone ever attempted a thermal visor? #3

"Number one, make it so." Oops, wrong sci-fi.
    Apr 10, 2008, 6:56 PM - Re: Has anyone ever attempted a thermal visor? #4

it would probly work just make sure you have NO gaps
    Mar 19, 2009, 1:27 AM - Re: Has anyone ever attempted a thermal visor? #5

Sounds rather interesting, though would an anti fog solution that is regularly used in swimming goggles work to the same effect?
  6. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Mar 19, 2009, 3:04 PM - Re: Has anyone ever attempted a thermal visor? #6

Quote syldar said: View Post
    Sounds rather interesting, though would an anti fog solution that is regularly used in swimming goggles work to the same effect?
    Well, if the anti fogging solution works out, maybe a cheaper one would do as well... When I got my diving license, I was taught to use saliva on the diving mask to prevent the lenses from fogging. Worked great, and was cheap as you can imagine. Still, that was with closed diving masks, I'm not too sure if the spit would work on a boba helmet. ... And the idea of spitting on your bucket might be a bit discerning too, I would imagine.. Still, if it works, it's free and readily available...
    Mar 19, 2009, 4:55 PM - Re: Has anyone ever attempted a thermal visor? #7

With my diving goggles, you just spit and dunk it under water quickly! It is pretty much fog free after that!
  8. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Mar 19, 2009, 7:18 PM - Re: Has anyone ever attempted a thermal visor? #8

Out of all of the different Boba helmets I have owned, I have never had a problem with a visor becoming foggy.