Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Golden Armor Fett Kit (Pic Heavy)

From
    San Jose, CA

Golden Armor Fett Kit (Pic Heavy)

Hey all,

This is my first Fett. I'm primarily a Vader maker. I had some challenges with my Golden Armor kit where the fiberglass simply didn't bond with the resin, creating useless air pockets throughout the interior. The Golden Armor guy was extremely nice and sent me this to make up for it.

I believe this is descended from a Don Post (but not sure if it's a DLX or a 95). G.A. says that due to the cold weather his molds shrunk so the bucket's too small for normal adult heads but it would make for a great display piece.

So at this point I'm just going to approach this as a display pice for my office desk.

From
    San Jose, CA

Re: Golden Armor Fett Kit (Pic Heavy)

Side profile:

From
    San Jose, CA

Another angle:

From
    San Jose, CA

The rear:

From
    San Jose, CA

Face forward:

G.A. said he had modified the mask slightly so that it looked a little wider -- similar to the promotions of the SgtFang "Mystery" helmet.

It does look a little wider.

From
    San Jose, CA

So here's a shot of the interior.

The fiberglass is comprised of these short and thick "parmesean cheese" that was smeared and smothered to form the casting.

From
    San Jose, CA

Here's another shot.

I have not found any fiberglass sheeting thus far in my initial work on this kit. It looks like it's just the parmesean cheese (you know... the kind you get in a large container at Costco).

From
    San Jose, CA

One more on this. I'm sure a small individual or child could wear this, but removing the rough surfaces would be mandatory for obvious safety reasons.

From
    San Jose, CA

Here's my first work. I used a Dremel disc to remove a large portion of the "T" visor area.

I then used a narrow Dremel bit to get rid of the rest of the "T".

I also used a Black & Decker sander as well as a Dremel sanding wheel. Obviously the kit was of inconsistent thickness, so with Vader being my primary area of study, I just did this as a "best guess" until I became more familiar with the details of Fett helmets.

Any area I sanded too much, I can repair with AquaMend and resand it easily.

From
    San Jose, CA

Here I used both a Dremel sanding wheel as well as a Black & Decker "Mouse" sander to remove all the sharp points and surfaces on the interior. I may not do too much work on this if this is going to be an office display. I will use AquaMend to make sure the edges are all of consistent thickness.

From
    San Jose, CA

And thus concludes my initial pass on this helmet!

From
    Corbin, Ky

Nice cleanup! That helmet is a cast of the standard Don Post Vinyl helmet. More than likely 1995.

From
    Yakima, Wa.

AFettFullofDollars said: View Post
    Nice cleanup! That helmet is a cast of the standard Don Post Vinyl helmet. More than likely 1995.
    Exactly what I was thinking, looks like the dome was modified a bit but definately a DP standard.

You should be able to use small files on that dent to increase the accuracy.

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Very nice cleanup!

From
    Michigan

Yeah, glad you found a way to get all that chunky fiberglass out of the inside. Looks much better now.

Yeah, it's a 95 DP recast.

wow... i had a bucket that looked like that on the inside. i just glued foam all over it

nice job!

From
    Whitehorse, Yukon

To me it looks like a Rubies deluxe...

It is either off an DP 95 or DP Deluxe. Goldenarmors fiberglassing can be really aweful. I've buildt one of his Jet Packs and Gauntlets so believe me.

From
    Michigan

He's been making those helmets for many years. That's partly why I remember them being off the DP 95. Rubies wasn't even making Star Wars items back then, and the DP Deluxe had a different shape to it.

From
    Massachusetts

Wow, considering the condition that was initially in you've done a great job of cleaning it up! Keep up the great job!

From
    The first state

Mr Fett said: View Post
    He's been making those helmets for many years. That's partly why I remember them being off the DP 95. Rubies wasn't even making Star Wars items back then, and the DP Deluxe had a different shape to it.

Ditto....G.A.'s Fett helmet is definitely a DP95...that much I do remember, oh and that he uses that cheap arse FG ...no matting

You did an amazing job of cleanup!

Steve

From
    San Jose, CA

DL44 Blaster said: View Post
    Ditto....G.A.'s Fett helmet is definitely a DP95...that much I do remember, oh and that he uses that cheap arse FG ...no matting

You did an amazing job of cleanup!

Steve

I'm not sure what you mean by matting. FG matting -- as in Fiberglass cloth? I did experience FG cloth in the Vader kit I purchased off him. The problem was with the facemask in that the FG cloth was not bonding to the resin, creating many air pockets and bubbles. The entire inside left face was one massive airpocket. When I ripped out the FG sheets, the resin underneath looked like stalagmites in a cave. I sanded down as much as I could, then coated the inside with an epoxy paste which, once cured, was further sanded down.

Trust me, there are FG sheets there... just not on the skullcap.

If any of you are interested in reading up on my "diary" on this particular Golden Armor Vader kit, please see:

http://www.aokforums.com/thepropden/...-about433.html

Thank you all for your kind support. I've read up on AFFO$'s excellent writeup on Rust-oleum and Krylon paints, and I noticed there is a very nice variety of compatable greens when I walked through Home Depot's paint section. This should be interesting.

As a Vader hobbyist, I'd daresay that Vader is a greater challenge in shaping and filing, but Boba Fett is far more difficult to paint than Vader.

From
    The miserable mill

that vader pic is gruesome...

fiberglass matt is that cross woven stuff as opposed to fiberglass cloth which is an even weave of horizontal and vertical fibers

From
    Philadelphia PA

Not to go too off the topic, but the pictures of Golden Armor's stuff looks scary... Hows the quality on his smaller resin casted stuff usually? I recently got an email from him and he's got a particular piece that I'm looking for, but it just so happens I got it the same time as I see this thread and now I'm not so sure. =) If you want more details, check out the blaster forum.

Phil

From
    San Jose, CA

So I have this Fett and a Vader and both use chalky resin. So if you take care of it and don't drop it, the chalky resin is very shapable using detailing files. Resin isn't necessary strong anyway, but if you feel you need to do a lot of cleanup and you want something that responds to your sandpaper, then despite the flaws of the Fett and Vader products I actually like the resin he used.

Now I also have a EP2 Clone Trooper helmet he gave me, and this is almost some kind of yellowish plastic. The FG "parmesean cheese" is there but not a lot, and what's there is blurry in detail as if something got coated over it. It's almost as if it were a different make.