I've had this helmet in my shop since the first run was done way back in 2002. It's been a crazy ride since then but now I finally have a proper workspace.
My painting skills stink. I figured what better way to improve my skills than to tackle this bucket on my own. Plus it gives me an excuse to use my airbrush that has seen very little action since I bought it last year.
I've decided to do a combination topical and reveal technique for the damage points. I've got some liquid mask that I'll use to mask off the big parts and some minor scrapes and scratches. The real detail stuff will be applied topically with make-up sponges.
So far its lookin pretty good. I'm in the process of masking it now which is taking seemingly forever.
Anyway, here's a bunch of pics. They arent too interesting...yet. Its mostly base coat.
If anyone has any painting tips, I'd love to hear them! Like I said I'm definately a novice painter, but I really want to make this thing great. Any and all criticism is welcome!!!
Thanks to Rogue Studios and Steve the Swede for sharing their knowledge!!! I wouldn't have even begun to tackle this thing without that knowledge.
so pissed! but its not a project unless something goes horribly wrong and you learn something.
so i had the whole thing masked and applied the next base coat which was to be a color by Citadel called Boltgun Metal. its the dirtiest, darkest, metal paint in the universe. its great stuff, and i love it! that went on fine the problem is it wasnt quite dark enough for my tastes.
so i went to Wal Mart and looked for a darker grey paint. found one but it was an automotive primer. i figured it would be ok. i was wrong.
somehow the primer and the boltgun must have reacted because the whole thing crackled up.
so now i'm told that you have to make sure the previous coat is 100% cured. i thought it was because i left it sit for 24 hrs. guess not.
here's the damage.
on the bright side, my pool looks awesome! i was so pissed i cleaned the whole thing!
BACK TO FORMULA!!!!
it turns out the crackling was a good thing. i sanded down the entire helmet, reprimed, and repainted. it turns out that the paint that remained formed a pretty interesting pattern. the helmet really looks like its been beaten to hell and back. i'm pretty excited about it. i could never have created the texture in such a random way.
i'll have some pics when i get home from work.
did some more work today. i'm taking my time with it.
i applied the floquil dark lark grey to the mandibles and dome. its starting to look like a helmet now.
there are a bunch of pics on the updated adventure page here.
Update 6/20 2:
WOW!!!! i can't believe my eyes. the results are far better than i expected. see for yourself.
i can see a light approaching at the end of the tunnel. this thing is really starting to take off. i might have it done this week. the helmet part at least. the ears are next.