GMH ear question

From
    Dayton, Ohio

GMH ear question

OK, so I got a set of the metal GMH ears and I also have one of the micro switches. but it doesn't fit! and I thought oh jeez, I guess I got the wrong switch! well, my GMH shows up with the resin ears that came with it, and guess what? the switch fits in the resin ones... am I doing something wrong? has anyone else had this problem?

Also I'm trying to make this screen accurate (PP2), does anyone know if the holes that hold the ears on are supposed to be cut big? I cant seem to find any good reference shots without the chin straps in the way... Thanks guys!

-Jimmy

From
    Pennsylvania

Re: GMH ear question

From my small amount of experience with the ear piece from the GMH, the micro switch usual does not fit in it. The GMH is a smaller helmet and from what I have learned from making the terminal Fettler topper kit that uses the Honeywell switch, both the switch and the ear piece needed to be modified to get the switch to fit.

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

Negative on the modifying of the ear...just shave the switch ever so slightly

From
    Pennsylvania

The GMH ear I have needed to be sanded out to get it to fit and the stalk had to be altered a bit to ensure the switch would work properly.

[COLOR="silver"]- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR]

The switch could also be the culprit. There are several versions of the 1sx1-t. I haven't really done research on the differences between the models.

From
    Detention Block AA23

The resin ears were made to fit the microswitch.
    Gav and I decided to use the measurements directly from the GMH master when we made the microswitch dugout on the metal ears.
    In hindsight we probably should have made it to fit the switch but we wanted to keep all the dimension ratios as accurate as possible.
    Since the GMH suffers from generational shrinkage all you will need to do is file a bit off both ends of the switch.

Like so;
    20121004_133729-jpg

Jc27 said: View Post
    The GMH ear I have needed to be sanded out to get it to fit and the stalk had to be altered a bit to ensure the switch would work properly.
    Are you talking about the resin ears?
    I hope not the metal ones.

From
    Pennsylvania

Yes, the GMH piece I have is resin. I have a dxf file of an ear piece a friend of mine was working on that would allow the stalk to rotate to exactly 0 and 90 degrees and fit the micro switch without any alterations. I may see if he can cut one out on his CNC and see how it works.

From
    Newport News, VA

I've done 2 build ups of GMHs with the metal ears and on both of them, I had to
    slightly sand the microswitch on both ends to get it to fit snugly in the slot.

As far as drilling out the mounting holes, I prefer to drill them just a bit oversized
    so I have room to get the ears in exactly the right position. I use small washers
    on the inside of the helmet when I install the screws.

From
    Dayton, Ohio

Thanks guys! that's a huge help! any suggestions on the metal holders for the visor? I also need a recommendation for the RF at the top!

I'll take a picture here soon!

From
    Pennsylvania

You can't go wrong with a topper from terminal Fettler. His are probably the best available.

From
    Dayton, Ohio