I know there are at least a half dozen threads, discussing how people weathered their buckets, but I thought it would be interesting to get as many good ideas as possible in ONE thread. Like a list. I just finished my Mystery Helmet, and a few came up that I've never done before, and I realized there may be many more.
1) Painting lighter base colors (light green, then dark green), then sanding through to the lighter color.
2) Painting layers over each other while BOTH still tacky, then SCRAPING (I used a piece of resin) through to the second , and even first layer. This works awesome with the dome areas, exposing the sage green.
3) Rubbing candle wax, with an old candle, before painting layers. Then scraping or lightly sanding.
4) Using masking tape, wrapped around your hand, to pull off paint. It works great if you roll it like a tank tread, real fast.
5) Dry/damp-brushing, then immediately smudging while still tacky.
6) wet-sanding, or even sanding while still tacky. This blends the layers a little.
7) Applying topical silver into scrapes, then immediately sanding to blend it.
8 ) Using acetone or thinner to swipe at areas.