Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Full steel formed dished and welded helmet

Full steel formed dished and welded helmet

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...Steel%20Mando/

Been working on this for quite some time. Finally got around to building a press and it has been working better than I expected. This helmet is 12 gage low carbon steel and I should be able to fight in the SCA with it when done.

FINISHED PIC ~7.5lbs:

NEW SHOT OF RANGE FINDER:

And the final look:

And the ear, it actually looks a lot cooler than this picture

I'm still trying to decide how I want to do the range finder

Last edited by TD-4242; Jun 24, 2009 at 8:39 PM.

From
    Lawrence, KS

Re: Full steel formed dished and welded helmet

that is really cool. What is the weight like on a full metal lid?

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

that is rockin! i've been wanting to get a metal helmet for a minute. how difficult would that be to do in a lighter guage sheet metal?

Wow. That is fantastic. Are you going to do steel armor as well?

The weight is going to be probably 7-9 lbs, or about 3x that of a normal fiberglass or resin one. Typical SCA medieval armor helmets are in this range of 6-11 lbs.

I don't think it would be much easier to do in a thinner gage metal. In fact some parts would probably be harder, like the welding and grinding.

I do plan to do armor as well. It will be Mando inspired but will have to follow a lot of SCA rules in order to cover and protect correctly, so it will have a lot of medieval look to it as well.

From
    Orange County, Ca

That's awesome. Can't wait to see the rest.

Photobucket was down, so here are some attached update pics Didn't do much tonight. Will try to get the left cheek by the end of the weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img00007-20090610-2303-jpg   img00008-20090610-2303-jpg   img00009-20090610-2303-jpg  

From
    Glendale, Arizona

wow...always wanted to do a metal lid...this is awesome!!!

From
    Long Island

You're 50% Bat **** Insane, 45% awesome, and 5% diligent to do a helmet and armor out of steel! This is guna be a raw project... Keep the updates coming... String some El-Wire through that thing too!

My current armor is hammered Aluminum. I'm the red and gold mando from this pic:

From
    The first state

Awesome project!! Also love the photoshopped pic of the Mandolorians...it looks like it could be a poster or original art....a book cover perhaps....really cool!!!

From
    Bideford, Devon, United Kingdom

Just out of interest how thick is 12gauge steel,in England 12guage(SWG) is about 2.8 mm
    is it the same in the US?
    This is realy making me want to start my own helmet(10SWG/3mm aluminium),just want to finnish my back plate first!

FMF

I was going to do one in Aluminium, but found that welding aluminium is an art far beyond my ability. Between Lance and I we banged out about 10 sets of aluminium armor for the mandos in the pic above and several others. We have been wanting to do helmets, but never had a real way to dish metal that much. Just beating out a chest plate was a lot of work and that is minimal dishing. By using the 12 ton press I made from a bottle jack and a cast iron ball I am able to do about 16 hours of hammer swinging in about 4-5 hours. My welding skills have always been very minimal but are improving daily. I ran out of gas for my MIG welder last night and just got some more today. Lets see what kind of progress I can get this weekend.

updated the photobucket with some structurally complete photos. I still have some cleanup and mainly got to square off the bottom. Will probably do most of that tonight and tomorrow.

From
    Pennsville, New Jersey

That's really cool, I like that idea. As a side note, I actually have that second picture of you guys firing hanging on my wall, I liked that picture so much.

between that one and this one

http://duneseagarrison.com/photo_gal...ander.jpg.html

to of my favorite narcissistic pictures of myself.
    Last edited by TD-4242; Jun 16, 2009 at 9:05 AM.

You're using a pretty heavy gauge of metal there. My armour is 16-gauge, and I'm planning on doing my helmet in the same. How much would the metal thin being dished for the dome? Should I start with 15? 14? And are you going for the simple hemispherical dome, or the more complex "baseball-helmet" shape of the original helmet?

--Jonah

I took patterns off of I a helmet I have, I think an MSH. It has the "baseball-helmet" shape with the bulge in the back right quarter.

I have some of the sheet metal armor that I piced up from someone here. I'm not sure of the gage, but it is really really thin. the stretching will thin it some, but not as much as you'd think. It'll be an almost un-noticeable amount. I sugest dishing it in two halves and welding them together. I started with the plan of doing quarters, but after doing the first to I tried the other half as once pices and it worked out great.

From
    Pennsville, New Jersey

TD-4242 said: View Post
    between that one and this one http://duneseagarrison.com/photo_gal...ander.jpg.html to of my favorite narcissistic pictures of myself.

Which one are you, the heavy gunner or the other ARC Trooper? Either way though, I really like both costumes, especially the Heavy Gunner.

I built them both. Originally we were both the ARC Troopers, I just modded mine with the new helmet and gun.

From

i'm lucky that i have a 100 ton press at work and thats what my one piece dome will be done on once i get around to making a press tool. I have a cunning plan on useing a couple of steel pipe end caps to make the tool.

FMF

From
    West Virginia

awesome metal helmet...I was thinking of making an aluminum/steel one this summer and hopefully it can turn out and good as this steel one

TD-4242 -- Good to know. Did you do right and left halves, or front and back halves? I'll probably go with 15-gauge, and if it ends up a little thicker than 16, hey bonus.

FMF -- I don't suppose you'd consider a run of one-piece steel domes?

Really, the barrel almost makes itself, as far as bending and cutting go, but -- unless you have boobs and are making suitable chestplates -- the dome takes more dishing and planishing than any of the other armour pieces. A pressed piece would be an awesome alternative.

--Jonah

I updated the first post with some new pics. There is still a lot of swirl marks from teh sander that show up under flash a lot more than in reality. I have a few internal reinforcements that I have to do to make it combat ready, then I'll have to take it in for inspection.

Peregrinus: Actually I think the cheeks ended up quite a bit more difficult then the dome, at least to finish off. I used some of the templates found here for doing cardboard/styrene helmets to get the patterns.

From

Peregrinus I must agree with TD-4242 the cheeks do look a lot more work than the dome.

I may do a run,depends on how things go with my personal helmet.Hope to start my own post on the project when i get going.

FMF