Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

First time painter...ESB Asok CC helmet in work

From
    Cloud City

Re: First time painter...ESB Asok CC helmet in work

from one painter to another fricking awesome work man
    would be great is someone would make a youtube video of the process to better understand the process.
    I have the same helmet waiting for me when I have the time.
    thank you for sharing
    Megatron

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

One of the UK guys did a vidoe on youtube

From
    North Texas

First time painter...ESB Asok CC helmet in work

Welshwarrior did the videos. It is broken up into about 15 segments and he explains things in great detail.
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app

From
    Dunnellon, FL

Yeah, I highly recommend Welshwarrior's videos! They helped me considerably. I followed his process mostly, and it made this whole enterprise a lot easier.

And thanks for all the kind words everyone! Once that red went on and I took the tape off I was shocked at how much it brought the whole thing together. Now I just can't wait to get those ears done and the stalk installed so I can call this bad boy done.

Really excited to paint up the jetpack now.

Turned out really well! The colors look fantastic, what's your color/paint list so far?

From
    Dunnellon, FL

I used AFFO$ spraypaint list for this bucket, with the addition of Rustoleum Almond for the concrete color on the back panel. I did also add in the Krylon Pumpkin Orange to do the fade on the killstripes.

Had a bit of a hairy moment tonight when I went to affix the visor in permanently. I thought at first that I would go the epoxy route since I had good experience with the stuff from my Navy years working and painting Aircraft.... BUT... after trying to get the lens in place I noticed that the epoxy was dripping down the visor and just would have been awful if it would have dried. So I acted quickly and thankfully had thought ahead to ensure I had Goo Gone handy, and the situation was resolved.

I then just cleaned up the epoxy and went with the hot glue method, and only one burnt finger later... the visor is in and it's solid. Added bonus is that it will have a bit of epoxy in there too, so it should stick pretty nicely. I won't be able to change it, but honestly... I doubt I ever will.

Tomorrow I will do the ears and this helmet will be mostly done. Yay!

From
    Dunnellon, FL

Finished the major coats on the ears and attached the RF and the Ear Cap. I bolted the RF in, and the ear cap is glued on. I will be coming back to add the markings on the ears, fix the bottom of the right side ear (because I forgot to mask it and painted right over it), add minor scratches, fix the killstripes, and weathering, and that should be it. Almost done.

From
    Puerto Rico

You're flying through this... looks awesome

From
    Dunnellon, FL

Thanks man! I am hoping to get the stripes redone tonight and work on getting the markings on.

From
    Dunnellon, FL

Tonight I added weathering, markings on the right ear and the white on the left ear. I also used weathering powders to darken the killstripes, but will hit it again to darken it again. Once the left ear is nice and dry I will do the symbol on the ear. I just hand painted the markings, and used a thin marker to do the small black symbols and stripes. I actually think I will clean up the bottom left of the white marking on the left ear... I need to square off the bottom of it. Shouldn't be chipped there....

From
    Dunnellon, FL

Well, finished the final tweeks... some yellow overspray, couple of fixes here and there... added the green damage on the back and a few missing scratches on those panels. I added the markings on the other ear and straightened out that corner. I added a bit of overspray on the RF also.

So pretty much it's done, just need to wait for the helmet padding to get here so I can make it wearable. Maybe add some fans. But the paint is pretty much done. I'm happy with it. I wish I had done better on the back panels, and I wish I could have put the visor in better. It's not level with the bottom of the helmet and I hate that. But lesson is learned, so my next helmet will be an improvement upon this one. But thanks for watching, and for all of the helpful comments. I really did appreciate the feedback, and it made this journey a good bit easier to handle.

Now... on to the jetpack!

From
    Galati, Romania

The paint job looks great and I agree that the base green of the dome and lower cheeks is a bit dark. You might also correct the dark misted spot behind the rangefinder stalk (it should be less visible) and maybe reduce a bit the size of the lower right ear's symbol (the DV: combination).

Keep up the great work!

From
    Dunnellon, FL

Thanks for the tips RafalFett! I'll see what I can do about correcting the RF splatter... maybe dim it out a bit with the dome green. The Dome and cheeks look a bit dark in these pics but lighter in person. I might try to take an outdoor shot in daylight to show this. I used spraypaint straight from the can and didn't darken it at all. I misted lighter green on the right ear and did darken the grey, but the base green was unaltered. But I do appreciate the help, it is great to get another pair of eyes on something like this... it really helps to get everything as right as I can.

And thanks for all of your work on the stencils. No way I could have done this without them, they were truly invaluable. I can't imagine having to do this freehand.

From
    Darwin River Northern Territory

Anyone who can paint a helmet in that standard, or a helmet at all in my books is awesome!

From
    Puerto Rico

What type of weathering powders did you used?

From
    Germany, Stolberg NRW

Great work! Can´t wait to see the jetpack.

From
    Dunnellon, FL

Thanks everyone! I look forward to painting another one! Xose, I used these weathering powders from bragdonent.com. I've been using them for years on Jason masks or 1/6th scale figures and full scale busts. They really work. It manages to make something look dirty and dusty, but be completely sealed. I didn't go heavy on the helmet with it, save for the dent.

And this morning before work I took the helmet in the garage and dimmed out the splatter behind the RF. Looks a good bit better now.

From
    Puerto Rico

Those powders do work great... when I saw the weathering on the dent I thought that was done with an airbrush for sure. Thanks for the tip Dark, I will get my hands on some of those powders and try them really soon.

Looks awesome! Very Impressive!

From
    Dunnellon, FL

Thanks! It's very helpful if you aren't the best with an airbrush. I know that I can't do airbrush at all, so this has been a saving grace for me. I can't wait to see what you end up doing with them!

From
    Frederick, United States

Very Nice work. I have one that I am still debating to try and tackle painting it myself or just pay someone else to do it for me.

From
    Dunnellon, FL

It's scary, I know. But I really had a blast doing it. It gets addicting. You immediately want to paint another one, just to see if you can make it better. Definitely give it a shot, and once you get done you will do what I did and hold it up... completely in shock as to what you accomplished.