Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    May 2006
    Jan 18, 2008, 8:29 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #51

What an incredible build! It is easy to spot artistic talent. Keep up the great work.
    Jan 18, 2008, 10:36 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #52

Truely sick Bro!
    great job!

jon
    Jan 18, 2008, 11:26 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #53

Very nice. Have you thought of a mercury or tilt switch to turn your LEDs on?
  4. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Jan 20, 2008, 9:04 AM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #54

Great stuff Antman!

This project is taking off to a whole new level.
    I'm sure even Boba himself would not be able to
    tell yours apart from his own helmet!

As always in admiration,

Mars :thumbup
    Jan 21, 2008, 3:24 AM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #55

Quote mrgr8ness said: View Post
    Wow, that has to be one of the best cardboard buckets I've seen. These things are looking great!
    Thanks!

Quote Drake said: View Post
    Impressive... most impressive.
    Tack så mycket!

Quote Gypsyboy said: View Post
    Hollow rangefinder stalk with wires. Cardboard. That still floors me. The whole helmet is looking awesome too. Much impressiveness!
    Glad you like it!

Quote SD68 said: View Post
    What an incredible build! It is easy to spot artistic talent. Keep up the great work.
    It takes one to know one!

Quote shunned said: View Post
    Truely sick Bro!
    great job!

jon
    Thanks man!

Quote t_bone9600 said: View Post
    Very nice. Have you thought of a mercury or tilt switch to turn your LEDs on?
    Whoa! Now that would be wicked! That's a great idea. I never thought of that. Thanks for the tip man

Quote Marcly said: View Post
    Great stuff Antman!

This project is taking off to a whole new level.
    I'm sure even Boba himself would not be able to
    tell yours apart from his own helmet!

As always in admiration,

Mars :thumbup
    Haha! Long time no see buddy! 8)
    Thanks for the supportive speak amigo!

Right now the second sealing layer has been applied and the lid looks sort of like this:

Back soon...
    Peter
    Jan 24, 2008, 4:17 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #56

Man, your work is fantastic, absolutely fantastic Peter! WOW!

Chris
    Jan 24, 2008, 7:14 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #57

Wow! That bucket is looking sweet!

-Naas
    Jan 24, 2008, 7:33 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #58

Thats Amazing!
    Jan 28, 2008, 3:59 AM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #59

Hey Peter, any updates on this fabulous project?
    C
    Jan 28, 2008, 8:27 AM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #60

:thumbup

This lid has the blood and soul of the maker.:thumbup
    Jan 28, 2008, 8:31 AM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #61

Great work!!
    Jan 28, 2008, 9:06 AM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #62

Quote AntMan said: View Post

And here is the 360 view:

Peter

NICE!, very clean looking,
    Jan 28, 2008, 4:58 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #63

Quote digifett said: View Post
    Man, your work is fantastic, absolutely fantastic Peter! WOW!

Chris
    Danke schön, Chris! I learned a lot from your tutorial! Do you plan to continue?

Quote Darasuum_Verd said: View Post
    Wow! That bucket is looking sweet!

-Naas
    Thanks

Quote Byyynik said: View Post
    Thats Amazing!
    :o

Quote coennie said: View Post
    Hey Peter, any updates on this fabulous project?
    C
    Hey Coen! Thanks for the compliment. And yes, I should post my progress more frequently.

Quote Darth Clouds said: View Post
    :thumbup

This lid has the blood and soul of the maker.:thumbup
    No denying here! So true!! Thanks!

Quote SEEKER said: View Post
    Great work!!

Quote CombatBaby said: View Post
    NICE!, very clean looking,
    ...but don't look too close! Thanks dude!

As most of you/us know, it can be hard sometimes to find time for hobbies, even on weekends. Work can be a killer and the family life needs full attention and affection and has without question priority.
    But every spare minute I will spend with great enthousiasm on my dented helmet! And here are some updates - be it not many:

Since the construction and sealing & primering of the bucket is more or less complete, I started painting the partially assembled rangefinder with flat black and aluminum:

The part of the rangefinder which is normally opaque, I still need to paint in a matching color. Also the "polaroid" part (ESB style) needs to be put on.

And the flashing LEDs are working too, woohoo!!

I gave the dome and cheeks a POG treatment. The colour in these pics doesn't look like POG, but in normal daylight is looks okay.
    I don't own an airbrush, and I couldn't find the spray can version of POG here, so I used a paint roller and carefully applied the acrylic. Did not turn out too bad.

And I also created the smallest part of the helmet; the Borden connector tool (out of cardboard ofcourse!)

Hah! This thing is so small that it is difficult to not lose sight of. As a matter of fact, where did I leave it.....oops!

This project is so much fun for me, that I decided to simultaneously build another two out of cardboard (don't know yet when...). One big and one small version for my kid. Since Alan increased the size to 103% on the dome templates, it should be even easier to construct a perfect dome for these! I guess I can never give enough credit to the WizardOfFlight! Thanks, and thanks again Alan!! Superb templates!!

Now it is time for me to hit the sack, as I end this post at 23:47 hrs Central European Time.

Thanks for all your positive replies and stay tuned!
    Peter
    Jan 28, 2008, 5:05 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #64

Wow. Cool borden connector repro! How'd you get it so... round?
    Jan 28, 2008, 9:01 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #65

Still amazed at how smooth that dome is.
    Jan 29, 2008, 10:27 AM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #66

Quote Gypsyboy said: View Post
    Wow. Cool borden connector repro! How'd you get it so... round?
    Thanks.
    I drew a little circle on a piece of thin cardboard and cut that out with a hobby knife. Punched the three little holes with a belt puncher and repeated the whole thing twice so I ended up with three Bordens. I glued these on top of each other and sanded the edges as smooth and as round as I could with very fine grade sanding paper. The result is what you saw in the pic. Only thing left is to primer it and glue it to the right cheek.

easy......

Peter
  17. Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Jan 29, 2008, 12:01 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #67

WOW....just WOW. Thats by far one of the most impressive things i've seen to date. You have some bloody amazing skills. Keep up your great work. Lookin forward to more pics of this great helmet
    Jan 29, 2008, 2:58 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #68

Danke schön, Chris! I learned a lot from your tutorial! Do you plan to continue?
    Hi Peter, yes I will start with new ideas hopefully very soon. Right now I am between modeling fascination my family and way too much work.
    Some hours ago I got a new son (Second one)!!! Liam David, he is absolutely lovely!!! Man what a boy! 15 days over natal day. We had a hart time, you can believe.

I am sorry that I am so slow with the bucket tutorial, my helmet is almost done,but still a lot work to do. Your helmet is so great I feel quite honored that you have read my tutorial. It seems like you can not learn any more you have extremely magic hands! I like the card board material a lot! Maybe better than styrene...

Keep on Peter, you might be faster finished than me!

Chris
    Jan 30, 2008, 1:46 AM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #69

Peter,
    your rangefinder looks like it's made from aluminum, which was damaged in in use. Hard to believe it's cardboard.... Wow
    CU
    Coen 8)
    Jan 31, 2008, 6:10 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #70

Quote collector said: View Post
    WOW....just WOW. Thats by far one of the most impressive things i've seen to date. You have some bloody amazing skills. Keep up your great work. Lookin forward to more pics of this great helmet
    Thank you very much!

Quote digifett said: View Post
    Hi Peter, yes I will start with new ideas hopefully very soon. Right now I am between modeling fascination my family and way too much work.
    Some hours ago I got a new son (Second one)!!! Liam David, he is absolutely lovely!!! Man what a boy! 15 days over natal day. We had a hart time, you can believe.

I am sorry that I am so slow with the bucket tutorial, my helmet is almost done,but still a lot work to do. Your helmet is so great I feel quite honored that you have read my tutorial. It seems like you can not learn any more you have extremely magic hands! I like the card board material a lot! Maybe better than styrene...

Keep on Peter, you might be faster finished than me!

Chris
    Hi Chris!

Thanks for your kind comments and CONGRATULATIONS with Liam David! I wish you and your family lots of happiness and health!
    Be sure to take all the time you need to recuperate from the exhausting period you and your wife faced.
    (Too bad we don't have a separate "Baby Fett" forum here on TDH haha!)
    In due time, I hope to see more from you on TDH.

Quote coennie said: View Post
    Peter,
    your rangefinder looks like it's made from aluminum, which was damaged in in use. Hard to believe it's cardboard.... Wow
    CU
    Coen 8)
    It's really cardboard, buddy!

Today I decided to give the killstripes a try, so I masked off the area with blue masking tape. As a template I took Count Dookie's killstripe PDF. Great stuff Count D!!! Thanks!
    As I read in many a thread, I masked the damaged area's with Winsor & Newton Masking Fluid.

I dried pretty quick, so next thing to do was applying the yellow paint. I used an acrylic called Insignia Yellow. In several thin layers I used a sponge to apply the yellow and it turned out pretty well.

Not much paint needed. Here's the stuff I used:

After drying, I pulled away the masking tape and rubbed off the W&N fluid. This is the result:

Not too bad for a first time(r)! Although the killstripes are a bit too close to the rim of the mandibles, I am happy how it turned out.

That's my progress up 'til now. Hope you enjoy the few pictures.
    I know it's not even close to the forum subject (and I promise not to do it again) but I would like to share this next little story with you.

This Saturday I/we will be celebrating my girlfriend's birthday so probably no posting. My son and I created a little clay sculpture for her as a birthday gift. The story behind it (I'll keep it short, I promise!) is that here in Delft there was a brick wall near a peanut butter factory which had grafitti art on it. We liked it a lot and even took a picture of it:

Unfortunately, this wall had to be broken down due to the factory rebuilding part of their site. So all that is left is this picture and the memory of this grafitti sharkwhalefishythingy. David and I decided to make something 3D out of it and this is what we came up with:

I think we captured it close enough! We hope she'll like it.
    Anyways, time to count some sheep. It's late and I need to sleep.

Peter
    Feb 1, 2008, 1:16 AM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #71

a multi-talented wizzard. wish her a happy birthday
    Coen
  22. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Feb 1, 2008, 3:03 AM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #72

Nice sculpture, oh Master Antman !

I am sure she will be totally surprised & and she'll like it a lot, so much she'll forgive u for all the time spent on TDH !

See ya later!
    Feb 8, 2008, 12:01 AM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #73

Very nice!! You helmet is looking fantastic! Can't wait to see it finshed.

Alan
    Feb 10, 2008, 12:44 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #74

i really think you should make a mold of that sucker so you can get solid casting for yourself. is the master going to be able to hold up to trooping?
    Feb 10, 2008, 4:18 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #75

Quote Marcly said: View Post
    Nice sculpture, oh Master Antman !

I am sure she will be totally surprised & and she'll like it a lot, so much she'll forgive u for all the time spent on TDH !

See ya later!
    It all worked out well!

Quote wizardofflight said: View Post
    Very nice!! You helmet is looking fantastic! Can't wait to see it finshed.

Alan
    Thanks Alan! Building it is fun thanks to your templates (this probably sounds familiar to you...)! Cheers!

Quote CombatBaby said: View Post
    i really think you should make a mold of that sucker so you can get solid casting for yourself. is the master going to be able to hold up to trooping?
    Hah! Trooping here in Holland is not that popular as in the U.S. Besides, I've started painting it already...

Well, it's been a while so here some updates.
    Building from scratch is one thing, but painting this bad boy is a whole different ball park!! Step by step I'm discovering the best ways to use paint and brushes and rollers and masking tape and fluid, etc. I guess I consider this bucket to be my prototype and test model for my first paint job. Here are some pics:

The basic paint job, applied balck to the cheeks:

I cut out the polaroid frame using the W:thumbupF template.

Paint it black!

Some more silver detail. I should really shoot during daytime. These nightshots are pretty lame...

And some more silver on the cheek sections:

I gotta find myself some red acrylic matching the Caboose. I found one which is a bit too dark/brownish to my taste so I didn't aplly that one yet.

Still got a long way to go, but enjoying it and peeking at some of the most gifted here on TDH. Superjedi, Spideyfett, SD68 and... you guys know who you are! You give some excellent examples, and set a very, very high standard!

Thanks for looking and back soon.

Peter