Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Dec 27, 2007, 12:36 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #26

Amazing work on that helmet!

There is NO way I'd have the patience to do something this exacting and time consuming. I'm in awe!
    Dec 27, 2007, 12:57 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #27

Fantastic job, I always enjoy seeing these types of posts. A true tribute to WOF.
    Dec 27, 2007, 4:02 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #28

Awesome job!!

But alas... after seeing your method to route the wires down your RF stalk, I feel that I might have to make another for my helmet and use your method.

Keep up the great work though!!
    Dec 28, 2007, 3:28 AM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #29

This a great build, the material that you are using looks like it workout very nicely! Very impressive! please keep posting. The RF stalk and the ears are coming a long nicely as well.

Alan
    Dec 30, 2007, 8:33 AM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #30

Hi everyone,

Back from celebrating Christmas and had a wonderful time. I hope you all enjoyed the Good Spirit and some quality time.

Thanks for all the replies and feedback all of you have given. It it nice to be appreciated.

Haven't had too much time to spend on building, but yesterday I picked up where I left off: sanding the dome.
    Boy oh boy, what a time consuming activity that was, and still I'm not fully satisfied about the result. But maybe I should be less critical..... see for yourself in the pics below.

I also wired up the RF stalk and this worked perfectly:

Glued on the top layer:

Wires sticking out of the top:

And the bottom:

After sanding the dome (the bathroom is covered in polyfiller dust!) there still were some small dents and holes which I filled up:

After drying and again sanding, sanding and oh, did I mention: sanding? I cut a hole in the dome for THE dent and glued a piece of cardboard to the inside of the bucket:

A close-up:

I partially filled it with some polyfiller and also cut out the arrows:

That's my progress up 'til now. Hope you enjoyed the pictures (they're always the best part of any post ).

I still need to do a lot of sanding for the cheecks, but I don't know when I will be getting to that. For the time being I still have some days of leave left and we're close to celebrating New Year's Eve. Me, my partner and our son will be spending some QT for the next couple of days so I don't know what I will be able to do on the bucket. Patience is the key 8).

Before I end this part, I have a question about preparing for painting the helmet. I would like to know if any of you guys have experience in painting up cardboard buckets, and what primer to use? Should I first coat the cardboard with anything? I read about MinWax Polycrylic Sealer, but I don't think we have that here in Holland. Or could I use spray primer straight away? Please share your thoughts and advice. Thanks for looking!

Back soon,
    Peter
    Dec 30, 2007, 1:41 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #31

Before adding any primer to your bucket, you should definitely think of sealing it. I used poly eurethane on mine, but there is a product specifically for cardboard that will make it more rigid and waterproof. You should be able to find it at an art supply store or hobby shop.

If you can't find the cardboard specific stuff, you could try one of the many types of wood sealing finishes. It might get a bit smelly, but with multiple and light layers, it should do the trick.

Than you'll be ready to hit it with primer than paint. ( most use automotive primer as it will fill in minor imperfections, you'll need to give it a light sanding before the application of the paint though. )
    Dec 30, 2007, 3:06 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #32

It says in the istructable Minwax Polycrylic sealer, and thats what i'm using. But, what brand it is in Holland, I do not know. Maybe try looking up the specifics of Polycrylic sealer and find a match of a product in Holland.
    Jan 1, 2008, 1:56 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #33

Jango72 and SpartanFett: Thanks for the feedback on my question guys! I think I will find what I need if I look what type of product or chemical composition Polycrylic sealer is. Maybe the Bob Ross Shop here in Delft can help me .

Not much time for progress today. I worked a little bit on the dent. Here are some pics. Still a bit "rough around the edges":

Not yet finished with it, but I'm getting there.
    That's it for now.

Later.

Peter
    Jan 1, 2008, 2:53 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #34

Really looking amazing! Keep up the great work.
    Jan 1, 2008, 4:12 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #35

Wow! This is coming along great. That rangefinder stalk is too cool. Who would have thought you could make a hollow stalk out of cardboard? Awesome.
  11. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Jan 1, 2008, 7:42 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #36

Very impressive, great skills.
  12. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Jan 1, 2008, 10:44 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #37

The helmet is looking great!! However, I believe the dent isn't in the right position, could you post a better picture of it from the front?
    Jan 14, 2008, 5:28 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bucket build - cardboard! #38

Hi,

Back again since a long time. Holidays and work have been taking up most of my dent-time, but I have been doing a little work on my bucket.
    To start where I left off, here's a pic from the front of the helmet. I hope the dent is sort of in the right spot. If not, I'll have to Photoshop it .

Anyway, most of the progress has been sanding the cheeks and attaching the right ear mounting piece for the RF stalk.

Glued in some magnets for attaching the ear cap:

It snaps on pretty tight for a cardboard creation:

And as you can see from this animation, the RF stalk is fully moveable and there is enough friction to hold it in the upright position:

So next will be the sealing of the surface with acrylic resin. I need that to be as smooth as possible so I will need to figure out what applicator to use and if I should dilute or thin down the sealer. I will do some tests on a sample piece of cardboard.

Hope you still enjoy this thread, despite the unanticipated delays. Thanks for lookin'! 8) and hopefully back with more soon!

Greetz,
    Peter
  14. Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Jan 15, 2008, 6:15 AM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #39

Man . . . my cardboard bucket doesn't look anything like yours! lol . . . hopefully it will but right now it's in the crappy stage due to some failed fiberglassing.
    Jan 16, 2008, 1:07 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #40

This is fantastic! Keep up the great work.
    Jan 17, 2008, 9:52 AM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #41

Way to go, Antman...still looking really great!
    Rob
    Jan 17, 2008, 10:47 AM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #42

WOW! I'm truely impressed! Looking awesome. This thread makes me want to try a scratch build even more now.
    Jan 17, 2008, 12:42 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #43

Superb work man!
    Just awesome.
    Jan 17, 2008, 2:17 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #44

Really great job so far. A wired, cardboard RF stalk... I'm still processing that data... Wow, that's just too cool.
  20. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Jan 17, 2008, 2:23 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #45

Amazing work! Just amazing!!!!!
    Jan 17, 2008, 9:17 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #46

Totally awesome bucket
    Jan 18, 2008, 4:53 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #47

Quote Wildabeast said: View Post
    Totally awesome bucket
    Thanks and stay tuned! 8)

Quote MandalorFett said: View Post
    Amazing work! Just amazing!!!!!
    Too much credit! (just a little too much ) Thanks dude!

Quote Count Dookie said: View Post
    Really great job so far. A wired, cardboard RF stalk... I'm still processing that data... Wow, that's just too cool.
    Thanks man, I'm still working an idea for a switch to turn on the LEDs once the stalk has been lowered.

Quote SarlaccBits said: View Post
    Superb work man!
    Just awesome.
    Thank you!

Quote t_bone9600 said: View Post
    WOW! I'm truely impressed! Looking awesome. This thread makes me want to try a scratch build even more now.
    Just go for it man! It's fun! And I'm sure a lot of G/Dents would love to see another scratchbuild.

Quote Ghostsoldier said: View Post
    Way to go, Antman...still looking really great!
    Rob
    Thanks Rob!

Quote dengar99 said: View Post
    This is fantastic! Keep up the great work.
    Thanks!

Quote Styles2304 said: View Post
    Man . . . my cardboard bucket doesn't look anything like yours! lol . . . hopefully it will but right now it's in the crappy stage due to some failed fiberglassing.
    Keep confidence dude! Just enjoy what you are doing, because it inspires a lot of people!

Thanks for all the encouraging replies! It really motivates me too keep on doing the best I can on this cardboard scratchbuild.
    Today I found a timeslot to actually seal/prime the lid with some acrylic resin I found in a hobby store. It is especially meant for paper and cardboard type of materials and is a good primer for almost any type of paint. A couple of thin layers should seal it perfectly.
    Here's a pic of the first layer:

And here is the 360 view:

Once all three layer have been applied, I can start on the real challenge.... painting it in ESB colours!!
    But first I'll have to find out what the corresponding colours are called here in Holland. One shop I visited sold Tamiya Model Kit spray and brush paints. I don't quite know if these paints qualify as the enamels described in the sticky: "AFFO$'s PAINT LIST FOR THE AIRBRUSH CHALLENGED" or "Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques". I'll do some more inquiring.
    That's it for now, stay tuned for more soon!

Peter
    Jan 18, 2008, 5:34 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #48

Wow, that has to be one of the best cardboard buckets I've seen. These things are looking great!
    Jan 18, 2008, 7:45 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #49

Impressive... most impressive.
    Jan 18, 2008, 9:05 PM - Re: First post, first WOF bukcet build - cardboard! #50

Hollow rangefinder stalk with wires. Cardboard. That still floors me. The whole helmet is looking awesome too. Much impressiveness!