Hey fellow sisters and brothers,
this thread is opened up to document the process of painting the first FP Premium full layered using airbrush and Humbrol colors.
This paintjob is a commissioned work for salamanderking and will be an ESB paintjob, as heīs going to build up a SE Boba Fett.
Letīs get ready to rumble ...
Step 0: The base kit as delivered by FP. You can see no visor, because this order was placed before the premium got the visors too. Sometimes itīs hard to be one of the first ...
Step 1: The visor is cut and first layers of light grey primer are on (fixed the ears with tape to get the feeling)
Step 2: Two layers of silver [Humbrol No. 11] as the first (visible ) Paint
Step 3: Masking Fluid
Step 4: Dark Grey [Humbrol No. 79]
Here a quick comparison shot to see the current paintjob with my previous:
Step 5: Trim and Mandibles light grey [Humbrol No. 140]
I did lighten the trim and mandibles with light grey to achive a better result for the purple and red layers. You can see the difference between the dark grey dome (and the lower cheeks also) and the mandibles here. I was curious how it will look like with visor, so I added one quickly just to get the impression. Itīs my TF visor ... a tick too short but you get the idea. :-)
Step 6: Purple [Humbrol No. 73 + 104 (mixed 2:3)]
Please forgive me the bad picture quality, but I just wanted to show the quick purple-step before the red comes on. :-)
Salamanderking wanted to have slightly more of the red on the right mandible so I just took away some of the lightgrey areas to have more room for the purple/red.
The purple looks a tick too bright but thatīs just the picture ... itīs quite darker in reality.
After some days without progress (my work schedule ...) it now goes on ...
Step 7: Red [Humbrol No. 73]
Last pic was shot with flash to get the correct red tone. Without flash it got influenced by the warm lamp light (it looked like an orange color).
Step 8: Cream color on Backpanels [Humbrol No. 103 + 28]
I am satisfied with how the cream color has come out. Now some steel wool work and on with the green. ;-)
Sorry for the bad picture quality, it doesnīt do the paintjob justice, but my cam isnīt that good ... trying to make better ones next time.
Step 9: Green on Backpanels [Humbrol No. 76 + 96]
The contrast between the green and the cream color is still a tick too high, but thatīs solved after the weathering process and the slight use of steel wool again.
Step 10: Green on Dome and lower cheeks [Humbrol No. 78]
Here you see the fresh "airbrushed" green on dome on lower cheeks, no weathering yet. Weathering, scratches, powder burn around dent and killstripes will come later.
Hope you like it. ;-)
Step 11: Black on upper cheeks [Humbrol No. 33]
The upper cheeks are black now. Still no weathering on the helmet, it will follow when the ears are ready painted and connected. Behind the FP Premium you can again see my TF ESB for comparison. ;-)
Step 12: Ears painted and connected
So, the ears are on now. All painted and connected using the bolt technique. The right ear is silver [H.11], dark grey[H.79] and sand [H.93]. The left ear is silver[H.11], red [H.60], light grey [H.28] and a mixed green [H.78+159]. Yes, the left ears green isnīt the same as the green on dome and lower mandibles. Just check out TFīs sticky and youīll see. :-)
Just at the moment I insert the power magnets for the upper right ear part, so it can easily be taken off if the stalk needs to be replaced or something else. I donīt like this part to be glued on.
Step 13: Killstripes, Decals and Weathering
Thatīs it with this paintjob brothers! Hope you like it!