Hi, all! I've been working on my Boba duds for a couple of weeks now. Starting as a total Mandalorian Neophyte, I've been soaking up all the knowledge I could for about a month now. I've just about finished a set of Sintra armor that I may post photos of soon -- before moving on to a set of FPv3 -- which is absolutely amazing!
But I thought by way of thanking all the members whose incredibly detailed tutorials, stencils, tips, and genial sense of community have inspired me, I 'd like to share part of my own work in progress: my SgtFang Mystery Helmet v1.
If I hadn't been soooo anxious to start, I might have snapped a few earlier photos of my filling or sanding or priming or masking. But just imagine all that happening at some point in the not too distant past and we'll go from there....
I decided to use a mixture of layered and topical approaches -- using mostly the AFFO$ rattle can list (thanks for that post!!). Layering with masking fluid turned out so well for my armor, that I wanted to at least use that for some part of the helmet. However, I lack the herculean patience of some of the better painters on these boards, so I think -- for the most part, I'm going to limit the layers to the silver base and maybe one other color on the back panels.
Here's the first photo - with all but the dome masked to cover the Rustoleum aluminum base layer, and my first coat of Spruce Green.
Another coat or two, several hours to dry, and we move inside to the kitchen to better light the reveal.... Here's the masking tape removed; the masking fluid is still on:
Masking fluid is removed....TADA!
I used a combination of stencils and freehand, just trying to get as close as I could to the shape of the silver, which I can touch up later with more green or silver, as needed. Here are a few more shots:
Left side to show more of dent....
And the right side to show the cheek and cat scratch...
Tomorrow I hope to start masking the silver of the mandibles with masking fluid and then hit those with some Krylon "Claret Wine" -- looks pretty close to the screen used colors. And I'm not necessarily striving for perfection this first time around.
More updates to come!!!