Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    May 12, 2003, 7:18 AM - Finished painting my MSH! Only RF left (UPDATE 5-pics!) #1

*07.10.03-UPDATED WITH NEW PICS BELOW*

I've finally started to paint my new MS helmet. Starting first with the main shell. The red on the mandibles is too bright, so i will have to tone it down. Again i used Gouache colours for this and a silver pen for the silvery scratches. Everything is applied with a flat medium brush. Well, long way to go, but a start anyway What do you all think?
    Did i managed to get the green right? I'll paint the red darker soon.

Here's a link to see my older DP96:
    <A HREF="http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2804&forum=2
    " TARGET="_blank">http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...c=2804&forum=2
    </A>

Will post my progress pics here until i'm done..
    May 12, 2003, 7:34 AM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #2

Very nice!!

<image src=http://www.r2ro.com/images/wow.jpg>
    May 12, 2003, 7:36 AM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #3

Looking very good, Micke, Very good indeed!

Si
  4. b.fett
    May 12, 2003, 7:38 AM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #4

Very Nice Work!!!
    May 12, 2003, 7:41 AM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #5

WOW!!! your helmet looks great.
  6. Ego
    May 12, 2003, 7:58 AM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #6

I hate you.

You make me feel like a chump!

Sweet lookin' paintjob dude!!!!!
  7. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    May 12, 2003, 9:03 AM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #7

Hey! I got the Arturo-amazed face Yohoo!
    Thanks, guys
    The silvery scratches looks too shiny i see that now. I will mist and weather it more as i go along so they will fade a bit. Important thing right now is to try and place all the battledamages in the right places. I really enjoy painting the helmet and i look forward getting it done I have the
    aluminium rangefinder stalk, hardhat liner and decals ready to add!

-Mikael
  8. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    May 12, 2003, 9:14 AM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #8

Hey great job keep it up I like it!

Lee
  9. Member Since
    Feb 2003
    May 12, 2003, 10:43 AM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #9

very nice job, the scratches are shiny but ain't that the point, at least a little?
  10. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    May 12, 2003, 11:37 AM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #10

Don't worry about the shiney scratches just keep going and finish the helmet and get back to them later...you might be surprised how much they dull with handling etc.

Lee
    May 12, 2003, 12:15 PM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #11

Micke, your work astounds me! Your previous helmet was absolutely amazing and now this one is incredible!!

Colors are very nice, and I love the silver scatches! (What silver pen did you use?) Just do what RS said and keep painting cuz the scratches will get dull eventually through handling, and besides..they looks kewl!

Bobo
  12. I helped at SDCC '08 journeymanprotector's Avatar
    May 12, 2003, 12:24 PM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #12

The green looks great to me Mikael

I'm using a burnt rusty red color for my helmet and I'm very pleased with it. I don't know if you can find anything like it where you are.

The helmet looks awesome. Is the silver pen one of those that has a hard tip that you press down on, pushing it into the shaft to soak up paint, then release and apply? Sounds like it, I was wondering just the other day about those.

Awesome helmet
    Phil
    May 12, 2003, 12:42 PM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #13

I am also very interested on hearing about the pen. Please let us know.
  14. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    May 12, 2003, 1:14 PM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #14

Thanks Rogue's! Glad to hear that. You inspired me

Ego/Rogue:
    Yes they will probably fade during the the process. I'll will wait until I'm totally done and see, thanks!

Bobo: Thanks! I try to correct the mistakes i did last time.
    It was painted alot more roughly than this one.

Jorneymanprotector: Phew.. i'm glad to hear that. I got so blind when mixing the paint. Dark outside, with only the kitchen lights on. This green looks different all the time :/ . I will just try to paint the red with a little more brown to it. I photographed the helmet with a flash and
    it looked neon red(!!) Thanks, man

Yup. I believe its' the same pen we're talking about here..
    I used a thick, pretty blunt one and 1 thinner for smaller detail. Very easy, just draw it on. I traced the scratches
    first with a pencil.
    May 12, 2003, 2:17 PM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #15

Lookin' great so far!
  16. msquared
    May 13, 2003, 2:17 PM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #16

those pens do kick ass. I have the same exact one, I didnt use it that much on my helmet cuz i had already weathered and it and the silver pen didnt match the dull chrome and gun metal weathering.

So let me get this straight, u painted this with a brush? Cuz i painted my helmet with spray cans and I tape over areas so they wouldnt get painted on.

But your helmet...
    May 13, 2003, 7:02 PM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #17

Wow micke! Thats lookin mighty dang impressive to me! You shure have an eye for detail! The colors all look really good to me man. Your weathering looks like a spot-on match. By the way, I was cruisin through the artwork section recently, and was very impressed w the work you have there as well. keep up that wonderfull work.
    May 13, 2003, 10:04 PM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #18

Would this be the silver pen you guys are talking about? It's also one of those push button ones:

Bobo
  19. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    May 14, 2003, 4:05 AM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #19

Thanks again, guys!
    msquared:Yes, it's painted with a brush, except the scratches(with the silver pen).

Jango's kid: Thank yopu for the compliments You can see more artwork here:
    http://www.katode.org/noguchi/

Bobo: Yes, looks very simillar. It probably works the same way and is equally good! I believe the brand of my pen is "Pilot".

More updates soon!
    -Mikael
    May 15, 2003, 9:20 PM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #20

micke: What color did you use for the back of the helmet? I'm thinking about repaint my movie size bucket (but just the back) for accuracy. Any suggestion?

Robert
  21. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    May 15, 2003, 9:26 PM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #21

i dont know how i missed this thread....WOW

colors please???
  22. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    May 16, 2003, 2:35 AM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #22

Darthvader: I used a green color with some blue in it. Will make it darker with some misting with a black spray color..
    BobaFrekk: Thanks! Colors? Custom mixed with Gouache paint.
    None of the colors you see are ready mixed.

Ok, will update this thread on Monday. Have done some progress. Painted it some more + attached the Aluminium rangefinder stalk BTW, i've had problems fitting the actual
    rangefinder on top of the stalk? anybody had the same problem? It don't sit straight and is pointing a bit downwards. Any tips?

Thanks,
    -Mikael
  23. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    May 18, 2003, 7:54 AM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (pics) #23

Ok, here's a small update. I got a couple of hours yesterday to paint:

Note how different the colors can look in different lights.
    The red now appears darker much darker...Also in the blueish pics it reminds me of some ESB Photos I've seen
    Right now I'm doing the rear of the helmet. After I'm done with all the silvery scratches i'll do the Grey/purple scratches.

-Mikael
  24. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    May 18, 2003, 8:29 AM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (UPDATED!) #24

Looks great man and you are doing all that with the silver paint pen?
    ST
    May 18, 2003, 9:07 AM - Re: Started to paint my Movie sized helmet! (UPDATED!) #25

I also would like to know if all the silver is done with the pen or if you are also using paint for the scratches in the visor area?? By the way, your helmet is turning out great.