Subscribe
  1. Apr 23, 2005, 9:41 AM - The final few stages of my helmet. Home stretch! Woo! #1

Almost done... almost done!

This was the helmet last night, when I'd masked off the greens and blues, and sprayed the first coat of the red trim.

( ^Click for big. )

I was actually getting somewhat worried at this point, as NONE of the colours looked right to me!
    I was hoping that it was just a case of me being so close to the thing for so much time that I was trying to see perfection where there was none...
  2. Apr 23, 2005, 9:50 AM - Re: The final few stages of my helmet. Home stretch! Woo! #2

Here's the bucket earlier this morning, with me in the process of removing the mustard and masking tape.

( As always... ^ Click for big. )
    Small hint - When mixing mustard for a mask, it seems to come off a LOT more easilly of the small sections are very thin - but the bigger sections are a good few mm thick.
    Either way, you should be OK so long as when you did your silver layer, you put at least 2 or 3 layers of clearcoat over the top.
  3. Apr 23, 2005, 10:01 AM - Re: The final few stages of my helmet. Home stretch! Woo! #3

Here's the helmet as it is just now ( Saturday afternoon. )
    I've removed all the masking, and lightly sanded the whole thing. All of the edges have had an extra special sandin' for that real lived in look

To Do list:
    • Work a little on the edges of some of the "scrapes", and do a little bit of "fill-in" work within the confines of the larger ones.
    • Spray a protective layer of clearcoat.
    • Paint on the "kill-stripes".
    • Acquire and install a visor.
    • Build a rangefinder, and install it + stalk...
    • ... On the right ear, while also installing the left ear.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the green paint I've used on the left ear has reacted with the red coat, though. :S
    We'll see...

Oh, and
    • Make and install a cheek piece, and finish off the eyebrow LEDs..

I THINk that's it
    Apr 23, 2005, 11:43 AM - Re: The final few stages of my helmet. Home stretch! Woo! #4

Looking good there!! Must try the mustard method although im more of a ketchup man myself
  5. Apr 23, 2005, 11:58 AM - Re: The final few stages of my helmet. Home stretch! Woo! #5

I did ponder ketchup - Will maybe give it a go on the next one, as I imagine it'll dry a bit less "concrete" than mustard...
  6. Apr 23, 2005, 6:28 PM - Re: The final few stages of my helmet. Home stretch! Woo! #6

Gah.
    Completely cocked up the colour on the right ear. Gonna haveta start again

WAY too bright yellow
    Apr 24, 2005, 5:20 AM - Re: The final few stages of my helmet. Home stretch! Woo! #7

The rest of the colours look great ... The red especially
  8. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Apr 24, 2005, 10:16 AM - Re: The final few stages of my helmet. Home stretch! Woo! #8

WOW!!! thats pretty good!!! excellent job!!!!
    May 1, 2005, 3:36 PM - Re: The final few stages of my helmet. Home stretch! Woo! #9

reds nice.. but yea..... take that yellow off.. or add some tanish mist to dull it down some.. do the right mixing of mist and you wont have to repaint it all the way.
  10. May 1, 2005, 5:51 PM - Re: The final few stages of my helmet. Home stretch! Woo! #10

Stripped the ears back down, and redid them more kinda gold.
    Pics later...
  11. Jul 18, 2005, 5:32 PM - Re: The final few stages of my helmet. Home stretch! Woo! #11

Almost finished now - I can't remember if I mentioned it elsewhere, but can anyone take a guess as to how I did the RF stalk, if I didn't say before?

As for the stripes on the earpiece - Thin slivers of tape, with lacuer over the top.

The visor's temporarily Milliputted in, so there are gaps
    Likewise, the RF is Epoxied on. I'll bolt it later...

12. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Jul 18, 2005, 7:03 PM - Re: The final few stages of my helmet. Home stretch! Woo! #12

Very nice.
    What are you using for gauntlets?
    Jul 18, 2005, 9:13 PM - Re: The final few stages of my helmet. Home stretch! Woo! #13

Nice work.
  14. Jul 19, 2005, 7:29 AM - Re: The final few stages of my helmet. Home stretch! Woo! #14

Quote slave1pilot said:
    Very nice.
    What are you using for gauntlets?

Heh.
    I was gonna start a thread about that elsewhere, since I've now got the materials for starting to scratch-build a replacement for the broken flamethrower from metal and plastic tubing