Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Fett Helmet History

Re: Fett Helmet History

Great post, thanks for this informative post! I love the Fett Helmet!

From
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I love how we can trace back the linage of these iconic helmets! great work TDH!

From
    Seattle, Wa

Wow! Guess I can learn something new every day!

From
    Orlando, Florida

So is the SuperTrooper Boba a dented helmet or not. I have seen both dented and predent in the BF ST in the gallery. I want to build a BF ST but not sure which I need to do.

I have found some interestin info on a site called "Starwars Propaganda". If you select prop archive, then boba fett and finally prop story, there's some good history.

From
    Galati, Romania

baronsfield said: View Post
    I have found some interestin info on a site called "Starwars Propaganda". If you select prop archive, then boba fett and finally prop story, there's some good history.
    That site belongs to 'gino' a long time member here as well on the RPF and he is now (copy/paste from RPF) an 'Art Director/Product Development for EFX Collectibles'.

wow thanks for info. I wonder if Art knows? It sure fits in with the GMH being a real cast. With the pre production 2 history. If you look on the website's pictures you can see that the dent is an exact match for the dent on the GMH!

From
    Stockholm, Sweden

baronsfield said: View Post
    wow thanks for info. I wonder if Art knows? It sure fits in with the GMH being a real cast. With the pre production 2 history. If you look on the website's pictures you can see that the dent is an exact match for the dent on the GMH!
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure he knows.
    Here's some background info on the GMH helmet for you. Boba Fett Costume Resource - The Grant McCune Boba Fett Helmet

From
    Boerne, Texas, United States
    Yeah Art knows all about that. Gino has been a long time member of the RPF and TDH. He's not a bad guy either .

Account Deactivated

If you look on the helmet history page abouve, (The modified one) you can see a helmet 2 under the PP2 helmet its called the MF (malone Fett) this is the helmet thats on Gino's site,
    Youl be hard pressed to find a fett helmet that has linage to the real helmets that isnt known about by the Fett heads over here

I never knew there was this much knowlege, its truly impressive. The rabbit hole goes very deep! I'm trying to read sixxgunn13's update but cant view, when I enlarge it it just blurrs? Does anyone know a way round this?

i had no idea about all of the variations this is truely amazing.

I love reading this kind of stuff!

wow, this is crazy!

From
    Knoxville/nashville

It would be cool if he could make a photo montage of different costumers using different helmets on the list to accompany it.

From
    Atlanta, Georgia

Being new to this it sure explains a lot. Learned something new today.

This is the kind of thing that made me want to become a member of The Dented Helmet. Complete and concise information...

From
    Chicago, IL

Awesome history lesson. Thanks to everyone who put it all together!

Considering the crater they put into Boba's helmet is the same one as on C-3PO, how would they have gone about it? Re-heated the plastic locally with heat gun and pressed in a positive "dent" form? The dented version of the white Supertrooper helmet I've seen looks to still be polished ABS. I doubt they'd've gone to the trouble of cutting out a hole, gluing in a "dent" piece, and then repainting it white before painting it grey...

Also, whoever sculpted it, they used the upper part of a baseball batter's helmet, turned backward, for the dome. I have one that is an exact match in circumference and contours. Too exact to be coincidence. Does anyone on here know who did that initial sculpt, and whether they did both helmet and armor, or just helmet, or what? I don't know how much it matters. I'd just like to know...

--Jonah

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

The dent was added by cutting a hole and adding the dent...as you can see in the PP2 helmet its very shoddy work....

The Helmet is Fiberglass also not ABS. Dont recall if we know who sculpted it though?

Seems weird considering it's such a recognizable helmet, but no one knows who did the initial sculpt, at least from anything I've read.

From
    Galati, Romania

According to the Star Wars - The Blueprints book, the Boba Fett suit was developed by Norman Reynold (using the McQuarrie and Johnston sketches), who was helped by Jan Stevens (or Janet Stevens) as sculptor and Brian Archer as model maker. And F4R is right about the dent being added in the hole that was created in the helmet's dome.

Peregrinus, can you share with us the measurements of that particular baseball helmet?

Ah, well there you go! Jan Stevens!

RafalFett said: View Post
    Peregrinus, can you share with us the measurements of that particular baseball helmet?
    Tk409 took some wonderfully exacting measurements off a Mystery helmet that, when compared against laser caliper measurements of the ESB and ROTJ helmets on display have shown them to be close enough to the same size as makes no difference. He got a measurement around the base of the dome, above the brow band and without the rangefinder ear in the way, of 724mm. The baseball helmet I picked up is exactly the same.

I was even more impressed when, after removing the hideous earcaps it comes with, I took ~11mm off the back edge of the front half of the dome on my Hasbro Boba helmet and it now has the same shape as the batting helmet, and is 724mm around the base of the dome.

--Jonah

From
    Galati, Romania

Peregrinus said: View Post
    Tk409 took some wonderfully exacting measurements off a Mystery helmet that, when compared against laser caliper measurements of the ESB and ROTJ helmets on display have shown them to be close enough to the same size as makes no difference. He got a measurement around the base of the dome, above the brow band and without the rangefinder ear in the way, of 724mm. The baseball helmet I picked up is exactly the same.

I was even more impressed when, after removing the hideous earcaps it comes with, I took ~11mm off the back edge of the front half of the dome on my Hasbro Boba helmet and it now has the same shape as the batting helmet, and is 724mm around the base of the dome.

--Jonah
    Thanks! That 724mm without the right ear is correct (the RWH v2 templates were partially based on the mystery helmet measurements, but other sources too).