Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Fett from 1986

Re: Fett from 1986

Its an amazing find and very exciting, if its EXACT origins can be traced then thats fantastic but I for one am happy just to look at it, look after it man you've got an amazing piece there to be proud of

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

i personally think this is a fascinating conversation between spidey, tyler, RS, and ss. i think i just learned more about the origins and lineage of the fett helmet from this thread than since i started posting here. please allow them to continue.

Is it me or can i make out the faint outline of kill stripes on the 4th photo?
    Amazing helmet by the way...

What on earth happened there? sorry for multiple posts!

Good eye, I think your right

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

terminal fettler said: View Post
    i don't think you're crazy, i see that too. now what's driving me crazy is thinking about how much of the damage on that helmet is from the cast and how much is just from mishandling since 1986?

Account Deactivated

Good catch. Well most of my contributions that were topic-oriented aren't here anymore. So whether they're under review or deleted, we shall see.

WOW!
    OK, I'm nothing close to an expert and most of the bucketmasters have forgotten more than I will probably know about the different helmets, but I've just got to say WOW!

Regardless of the origin of this helmet, it is a great piece of work. It's always hard for me to see actual dents, scrapes, cuts chips etc on a painted helmet. This "1986 Helmet" gives me, and probably many others, some good ideas for our scratch-builds and modifications.

IMHO, I'd love to see someone cast this, with care, and produce a copy of this one, for reference if nothing else.

Awesome bucket!

It seems like there is always something new coming out about Boba Fett and the costumes. That's one of the cool things about TDH! Great thread.

From
    The Cold Widwest

*Looks at list of item I want* *Adds yet another item to list*

Only trouble with having a copy of an original (or copy of a copy - whatever) is I'd be too affraid to paint it, would look great in a glass case though for admiration

From
    killinois

This thing is awesome! I for one would like the opportunity to have a completely untouched casting of this helmet. Cast it "as-is" and sell it to me. That way I get the chance to decide what scar and scratches stay, and which ones get filled in.

From
    Cincinnati, OH

are there very many overall shape differences between this and Lee's plug and the MR scanned version? It looks to me like the lower cheek bows outward especially towards the bottom ridge of the helmet. Is that there on the originals, the plug and the scanned versions? I've never noticed it before if it is? If not is this something unique to this version? or is it something from the molding process?

Well spotted TF. Having looked closely at these I think that they're something else though. Judging by the direction of the light source, the actual raised portions appear to be very thin stripes rather than the width of kill stripes.

At first i thought they might be paint runs but they don't seem to have the characteristics of runs, it would seem that they were intentional, whatever they were... just my thoughts.

This is a very interesting find.

DAZ

terminal fettler said: View Post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stripes-jpg  

Depending on what method was used to mould the helmet, this can easily be a result of the rubber sagging inside the support cast, this can cause the bulge along the bottom edge.

It would take a guess from reading the original post that the mould may well have been made quickly, possibly a one piece (no seam line is visible on the helmet) and this "one piece" mould option could certainly be an obvious cause of the bulge.

DAZ

never_ending_fett said: View Post
    are there very many overall shape differences between this and Lee's plug and the MR scanned version? It looks to me like the lower cheek bows outward especially towards the bottom ridge of the helmet. Is that there on the originals, the plug and the scanned versions? I've never noticed it before if it is? If not is this something unique to this version? or is it something from the molding process?

BM, you could well be right, judging by the amount of filler (bondo) in various spots these marks could be the residue from a filler swipe, however there are shadows to the left also...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 111-jpg  

From
    Australia

What an awsome piece to have in your collection Banzai88. A real piece of Fett history!

From
    Seattle, Washington

Amazing discussion, and amazing eyes.

Alexis
    *smiles*

Account Deactivated

The stripes thing is pretty cool.

From
    The first state

Damn! I'm gone one day and I miss something as cool as this! What a great peice of Fett history Thank you for sharing pics of it Banzai!

Steve

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

DL44 Blaster said: View Post
    Damn! I'm gone one day and I miss something as cool as this! What a great peice of Fett history Thank you for sharing pics of it Banzai!

Steve
    Ditto!!!!! I'm not a helmet expert by any means, but that is one cool piece!!! Thanx for sharing it with us!!
    D

From
    Canada, on the planet of Hoth.

Awesome piece...

thx for sharing!

From
    killinois

Is there any way we could get some more close-ups? I'd like to see some better shots of these "ghost killstripes." And maybe some closer shots around the visor. It almost looks like some of those big cracks and chips are intentional. Is it possible that this piece was finished at one point, then painted over with primer grey?

From
    Saint Paul, MN

suspect86 said: View Post
    Is there any way we could get some more close-ups? I'd like to see some better shots of these "ghost killstripes." And maybe some closer shots around the visor. It almost looks like some of those big cracks and chips are intentional. Is it possible that this piece was finished at one point, then painted over with primer grey?

....hey now. Interesting thought!

From
    So Cal

terminal fettler: I took the pix I never noticed the kill stripes. Upon closer examination, I do see remnants of them. They are 8mm wide with a 6mm gap. The height is obscured though. I can only count 6 distinct stripes. My friend likely did not intend to make a replica but instead his own version. He was likely intending to repaint the stripes or leave them off.

TD: Why is the ear hump is missing? He may have had other ideas on how to build that part? But I believe he just lost interest at a certain point which is why the rest was left in disarray.

DAZ: There is a seam running across the top from top of each ear to the other. It looks like it's been bondoed over.

suspect86: I don't see ANY color other that the primer. Not even in the damaged areas.

saint_nasty: All the damage you see was there when I got it in '86. I don't know why there is that extra damage/scars.

I want to thank everyone for all the info and theories. Had no idea the depth of knowledge to be gained on Fett helmets.

I really just wanted to post a Fett artifact on the premier Fett board as I thought it would be fun and of interest to TDH. Didn't mean to cause any friction between members.

Regarding casting; This helmet is really a special memento from a friend and I'm not really interested in duplicating it. Sorry if I've dashed any hopes and dreams. Hope you all understand. Besides, if SingleSeat is right and "These known stunt varieties seem to have reached fan hands all around the same mid-80s timeframe" I hope one comes forward so you all have a better preserved example.

Account Deactivated

Banzai88 said: View Post
    terminal fettler: I took the pix I never noticed the kill stripes. Upon closer examination, I do see remnants of them. They are 8mm wide with a 6mm gap. The height is obscured though. I can only count 6 distinct stripes. My friend likely did not intend to make a replica but instead his own version. He was likely intending to repaint the stripes or leave them off.

TD: Why is the ear hump is missing? He may have had other ideas on how to build that part? But I believe he just lost interest at a certain point which is why the rest was left in disarray.

DAZ: There is a seam running across the top from top of each ear to the other. It looks like it's been bondoed over.

suspect86: I don't see ANY color other that the primer. Not even in the damaged areas.

saint_nasty: All the damage you see was there when I got it in '86. I don't know why there is that extra damage/scars.

I want to thank everyone for all the info and theories. Had no idea the depth of knowledge to be gained on Fett helmets.

I really just wanted to post a Fett artifact on the premier Fett board as I thought it would be fun and of interest to TDH. Didn't mean to cause any friction between members.

Regarding casting; This helmet is really a special memento from a friend and I'm not really interested in duplicating it. Sorry if I've dashed any hopes and dreams. Hope you all understand. Besides, if SingleSeat is right and "These known stunt varieties seem to have reached fan hands all around the same mid-80s timeframe" I hope one comes forward so you all have a better preserved example.
    Thanks Barry for sharing this great find with us... it's a great piece to have, and for us "Fettheads" it's a very interesting peice for discussion....and I for one am extremely glad you posted it on this board, where it belongs.:thumbup